SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Visiting San Bernadino/San Diego, what do you recommend?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Visiting San Bernadino/San Diego, what do you recommend? Login/Join 
Rock or Something
Picture of Marc in FL
posted
I will be visiting the San Diego and San Bernadino areas for a job convention next week. I am not at all familiar with the area but have a couple of open days and looking to explore. What interesting or amazing things I should see while there? What say you?

Posts: 1131 | Location: Tampa Bay Area | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
It's been a while (20 years) since I lived in San Diego, but I loved spending time on Coronado (Hotel del Coronado), Shelter Island (Humphrey's), and Sunset Cliffs.

The San Diego Zoo had a world-class reputation, but I liked the Wild Animal Park out in Escondido (apparently now called the Safari Park).

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6409 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Speed, High Drag
Picture of navyshooter
posted Hide Post
Check out the USS Midway or Balboa Park has numerous museums plus the San Diego Zoo. My favorite thing there is the Ruben H. Fleet Areospace Museum. If you find yourself in the Gaslamp District hungry I recomend Fogo de Chao

"Blessed is he who when facing his own demise, thinks only of his front sight.”

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem

Montani Semper Liberi

Posts: 10355 | Location: Santa Rosa County | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
I’ve stayed in Oceanside for work a few times. Beautiful beach. Also on Thursday nights they do a street fair/market thing that’s awesome. No idea if Covid shut that down though.

Interestingly I’ve also noticed the pier at Oceanside beach is where Mark Dice interviews all the liberal morons.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12439 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Mount Soledad National Veterans Memorial.

I have family in Sandy Eggo and I am especially fond of Mount Soledad. It's one place I always visit when I'm there.

The view is extraordinary, and the sunrise and sunsets are stunning. The 360 degree view is fantastic.

It's a Memorial to US Military Veterans if you want to go pay your respects. The drive up and down is really cool to see the homes, etc.

It's actually on the edge of La Jolla, Mount Soledad is something like 13 miles from downtown. It's not commercially promoted because there is just no money to be made by vendors, business, etc there.

Posts: 11849 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
watch marines graduate no dry eyes.

Posts: 5599 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jprebb
posted Hide Post
One of the best cheeseburgers I've ever had was at the Balboa Grill in San Diego.
https://www.thebalboabarandgrill.com/

JP

Posts: 2054 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I haven't lived in SoCal in 15 years, but I've been back quite a few times. San Diego (nice) is the antithesis of San Bernadino which is why all of the recommendations have been the San Diego area.

As far as the coast, I like the La Jolla Shores area. Nice variety of terrain - sandy beaches, cliffs, and reefs.

Del Mar's horse racing season begins Nov 3rd. I don't know much about horse racing or betting, but still had fun.

If you like wine, there is a neat little wine country area called Temecula that is in between San Diego and San Bernadino. Miramonte was my favorite, and Wilson Creek's almond champagne was memorable (still pick it up occasionally)>

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23264 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Do the Zoo.

Stay away from Sea World. As a 60 year, lifelong resident of San Diego I can loudly proclaim, " IT SUCKS NOW."

Along with the misguided experience, removing yourself from their pushed emails is impossible.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
I went to Cali for my first time a few years ago, I work trip. A co-worker and I flew into San Diego. We got there about lunch and found a restaurant fairly close to the airport to eat lunch at. We sat by the window and during our lunch had the privilege of seeing a homeless guy across the street bathing with the water from a water fountain. I recall all the homeless people everywhere.

I was trying to remember what we visited, we went to Old Town San Diego, there was also a neat car museum somewhere in the area. We were only there for a couple of days so we did not get to see much.

Posts: 4114 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
(Scribbling a note to myself: Next time in San Diego, go to LS1gto guy's house and drink all his beer. Then stumble over to PipeSmokers and drop off a case of fancy crackers.)

Big Grin

Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
San Berdo---Bass Pro Shop
San Diego---Safari Park

My email in profile. Hit me up and I can help you out on suggestions that would fit your time parameters. I am in North San Diego County.

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1376 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
The Torey Pines Gliderport!

You can stand within a few feet of parasails and hang gliders taking off and landing. Entertaining RC gliders too. You can even buy parasail rides (you’re tucked in right behind the pilot). The rising off-ocean breeze allows them to stay aloft indefinitely. Open only on weekends. There’s even a sandwich shop.

https://www.flytorrey.com/

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8965 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
(Scribbling a note to myself: Next time in San Diego, go to LS1gto guy's house and drink all his beer. Then stumble over to PipeSmokers and drop off a case of fancy crackers.)

Big Grin

Dude - I'm in PQ and used to hunt in Woodward Co. Ms Sharon was my friend. Razz

May Pipesmoker(?) myself,and others - we make for a lunch date at at Fisherman's Sporthouse on Missions Bay??

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
^^^^ Copy Sharon, understood ^^^^

Young neighbors next door know Sharon quite well.

Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Safari park > Zoo

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5646 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
^^^^ Copy Sharon, understood ^^^^

Young neighbors next door know Sharon quite well.

I was once asked by the Mayor - should Sharon have [more than one] two stop signs?

My answer, "depends on how many people travel through her."

I really hope she only needs to [still] say "stop" once. McDonalds might like that.

Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
As far as San Diego, the USS Midway museum is way cool. The Corvette Diner has always been a favorite from its original days in Hilcrest to now as part of the redevelopment of the Presidio, Liberty Landing. Sunday brunch at Humphrey's absolutely rocks. Always enjoyed hiking around Cabrillo National Monument at the end of Point Loma.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11768 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of p220cop
posted Hide Post
From first hand experience I can tell you that San Berdoo is an overall shithole. Do your business and stay in at night. When you can, GTFO and don't look back.
As for San Diego, try the Air and Space Museum in Balboa Park. https://sandiegoairandspace.org/
Have a good time.

Chaos, panic and disorder. My work here is done........

Not everyone gets the same version of me. One person might tell you I'm an amazing beautiful soul. Another person will say I'm a cold-hearted asshole. Believe them both. I act accordingly......

Posts: 143 | Registered: June 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
San Bernardino....ummmm, there's no a whole lot there; low-end, dirty, sprawl come immediately to mind. Its home of the 909ers, when you get there and see it, you'll know.
You could take a hike up or, around Mt Baldy. Its a part of the LA-region that most residents never visit or see.
For goods eats, check out the historic Mitla Cafe, possibly originated the hard shell taco and where Taco Bell founder Glen Bell got 'inspired' to start Taco Bell. For what it's worth, McDonald's originated in San Bernardino, I believe the original location is still standing.

For San Diego, much depends on where you're staying and do you have a rental car.

Balboa Park has much of the parks and museums, the famous San Diego Zoo, SD Air & Space Museum, SD Auto Museum, Museum of Photography, etc....there's a lot of museums in a concentrated area. SD Zoo is quite massive, its very well put together and not hard to see why its one of the leading zoo's in the country.

There's a lot of solid and interesting neighborhoods and each of them have really good food. Gaslamp District is the big tourist hot spot adjacent to downtown. Lots of hotels, restaurants and tourist traps. Nearby Little Italy isn't as over-run with tourist attractions and has better restaurants and hang-outs. North Park is bit more hipster, lots of solid restaurants, younger bars with a variety of live music venues. LaJolla is the upscale residential area, also plenty of shopping and places to eat situated on a bluff overlooking the Pacific; LaJolla Cove is a popular spot to take a dip into the Pacific. If you're looking for that West Coast beach vibe, Pacific Beach fills that roll. Ocean Beach resembles San Francisco's Haight-Ashbury (hippies, gutter-rats, bohemian, counterculture, etc) but, on the beach; SD institution Hodad's Burgers is located here. Cabrillo National Monument at the end of Point Loma, is a great spot to unwind, get some air, get a light hike in, and enjoy a great view of all the Navy action in the Bay. Coronado situation across the bay, known for the historic Hotel Del Coronado, along with the nearby Navy SEAL training base. Grab a cocktail at the bar and you might see the next SEAL training class run by.

If you're able to go up the North Coast, drive-up the Pacific Coast Highway (PCH) and check out Encinitas. This is the idealized SoCal beach community. The downtown-main drag has plenty of shopping, places to eat/drink and generally kill some time..and the beach is nearby.

Let us know some more details and we can recommend places to eat, lots of fish tacos and breweries...so many breweries. Smile

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post