SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Barn cat was feral, now she can’t get enough attention
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Barn cat was feral, now she can’t get enough attention Login/Join 
Picture of Leemur
posted

She’s still skittish when you approach her outside but the second she walks in the house now she purrs and demands attention. Cats are such weird little things.

ETA: That’s my shoulder and head she’s lying on as she purrs and paws at the couch.

Posts: 13746 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Smile

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8981 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
A little love and security can work miracles. Smile

Posts: 17172 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Nice that the cat came around. We have one outside of work. Wants nothing to do with humans.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4029 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Awesome! That’s a pretty kitty! I have a soft spot for the tuxedo cats....they are my favorite.

We rescued a cat that at one time spent some time on his own in the wild I believe. I suspect this because if I don’t feed him enough he will go outside and get his own food and disappear for the entirety of the day. He loves nothing more than fighting with other cats and killing things.

Funny thing is that as much as my cat dislikes other cats and creatures he ABSOLUTELY ADORES humans especially strangers. My cat often jumps up in the laps of guests at my house and purrs louder than any cat I’ve ever encountered. He is an odd kitty, almost more dog like in some aspects. He follows me around my yard when I’m gardening and just likes to be around humans.

Here’s my little dude

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21118 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
My tux. She was an abandoned cat that I took in. The vet estimated her age at 8 months. She lived lived to age 21.

Here, she’s telling me, “I’m going to sit here and stare at you until you put out more food.”

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8981 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
We have an outdoor cats that we feed every night. It is a black cat knows to wait around the front door around 10 PM. I have a small bowl set up there and my daughter will fill the bowl for the cat. She even named the cat Shadow.

Posts: 13132 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:
Nice that the cat came around. We have one outside of work. Wants nothing to do with humans.

I ran two grocery stores that had a feral cat colony out back,

officially, we called the county to get them picked up and removed,

funny, that number always seemed to be busy w/ no voicemail,

on colony had a group of old ladies that would come by and make sure they had a little house and fresh water/food every day or so,

the other, we took care of,

neither store had a mouse problem,

last store had a trailer that sat permanently at one of the bay doors, enough room for the cats to get thru,

they also would have nothing to do with a human, but would sit up on a pallet of stuff and watch, and catch, any mouse in the stockroom,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10427 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
quote:

I ran two grocery stores that had a feral cat colony out back,

officially, we called the county to get them picked up and removed,

funny, that number always seemed to be busy w/ no voicemail,

on colony had a group of old ladies that would come by and make sure they had a little house and fresh water/food every day or so,

the other, we took care of,

neither store had a mouse problem,

last store had a trailer that sat permanently at one of the bay doors, enough room for the cats to get thru,

they also would have nothing to do with a human, but would sit up on a pallet of stuff and watch, and catch, any mouse in the stockroom,

Great story, everyone won here!

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I had a tuxedo cat coming to my back yard to eat every day for several months. Now he's been away for 2 weeks and I'm wondering what has happened to him. The little female I feed out there still is regular and lets me pet her. (She should--I spent $4000 having her broken leg fixed!). She's a little sweetie, though, and I was glad I had the money to do it.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
I had a tuxedo cat coming to my back yard to eat every day for several months. Now he's been away for 2 weeks and I'm wondering what has happened to him. The little female I feed out there still is regular and lets me pet her. (She should--I spent $4000 having her broken leg fixed!). She's a little sweetie, though, and I was glad I had the money to do it.

flashguy

Thank you for your kindness.

Posts: 797 | Location: NW North Carolina | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wolfpacker:
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:

flashguy

Thank you for your kindness.

I thank you too, flashguy. Good on you.

Serious about crackers

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
I say the same about my wife!!!

Posts: 7803 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Great photo! Here's a couple of recent feel good stories about cats rescuing their owners from danger..

"So let me tell you about a story I recently came across...

About a black cat named Joey who did something INCREDIBLE.

One night, Joey surprised his parents by pawing at their faces to wake them up.

As you can imagine, Joey’s parents were pretty annoyed. But then, they smelled smoke.

They jumped out of bed to investigate…

And in the kitchen, they found their slow cooker had caught on fire.

Thankfully, Joey’s dad was able to put it out quickly.

And when all the excitement was over...

Joey’s parents realized what had happened:

Their furry best friend had saved their home — and possibly their lives.

It turns out, he’s not the only rescue-cat who’s done heroic things.

There’s also Pudding, a shelter cat who hadn’t been living with his family long when he sensed something was wrong with his mom.

He woke her up…

And it turned out she was having diabetic seizure. Pudding then ran to wake his brother —

The only other person in the house who could help.

Pudding was new to the family, but it’s clear he’d already decided these were his people.

And he did everything he could to help them in a moment of need.

It just warms my heart. I love reading about “rescue kitties” coming to save the day.

Joey and Pudding were just regular cats…

But the love they shared with their families inspired them to become heroes."

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:

Spittin' image of mine.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Heard an incredible cat story recently. Lynx cats do live in Pennsylvania. They are slightly larger than a big house cat, but we're not talking about a mountain lion here. A friend from Pennsylvania tells how his neighbor began feeding a feral female cat. He lives in a rural part of PA. One afternoon he heard a racket on his patio right outside his house. Sounded like the feral cat he was feeding. Sure enough it was. He looked out to see a lynx copulating with his feral cat. The neighbor said he was 100% positive it was a lynx. He had a very close up look. Said he knows the difference. He says the neighbor attempted to trap the feral cat successfully, hoping a litter would result (which he would love to have). He says he kept the feral for about 6 months. No pregnancy resulted. It would have been really great if a litter did result. (Sorry, no pictures).

Posts: 1054 | Location: New Jersey  | Registered: May 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by just1tym:
Great photo! Here's a couple of recent feel good stories about cats rescuing their owners from danger..

"So let me tell you about a story I recently came across...

About a black cat named Joey who did something INCREDIBLE.

One night, Joey surprised his parents by pawing at their faces to wake them up.

As you can imagine, Joey’s parents were pretty annoyed. But then, they smelled smoke.

They jumped out of bed to investigate…

And in the kitchen, they found their slow cooker had caught on fire.

Thankfully, Joey’s dad was able to put it out quickly.

And when all the excitement was over...

Joey’s parents realized what had happened:

Their furry best friend had saved their home — and possibly their lives.

It turns out, he’s not the only rescue-cat who’s done heroic things.

There’s also Pudding, a shelter cat who hadn’t been living with his family long when he sensed something was wrong with his mom.

He woke her up…

And it turned out she was having diabetic seizure. Pudding then ran to wake his brother —

The only other person in the house who could help.

Pudding was new to the family, but it’s clear he’d already decided these were his people.

And he did everything he could to help them in a moment of need.

It just warms my heart. I love reading about “rescue kitties” coming to save the day.

Joey and Pudding were just regular cats…

But the love they shared with their families inspired them to become heroes."

Awesome story!

Posts: 1773 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
They are amazing animals when you think about how they operate. Your barn cat looks very much like our Pablo, who recently passed after living in our hay barn for 19 years. In my experience barn cats are the most dog-like-they see just enough of us to think we are OK but not so much that they don't like us any more. They crave social contact.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4359 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
Momma Kiki approves. For a former feral/stray she sure loves to be on my lap whenever I sit down. W/ all her kittens gone she has time to act like a cat again.

^^^right click that and select "view image" Frown

or clicky here
https://i.imgur.com/TBXcPZ5.mp4

Posts: 7366 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
My friend had the same experience. Ranger was totally wild. Now happy inside with the family.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post