SIGforum
For those who have never seen one- an Oakland, CA "Sideshow" last Sunday

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/8890013864

March 31, 2020, 04:40 PM
oddball
For those who have never seen one- an Oakland, CA "Sideshow" last Sunday
...during the state imposed lockdown, taking advantage of empty streets and slow LE response. Wrong on so many levels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?...1NM&feature=emb_logo
https://www.ktvu.com/news/crow...coronavirus-pandemic

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965
March 31, 2020, 04:45 PM
slosig
There’s probably a stupider way to waste a set of tires, but it isn’t coming to mind immediately.
March 31, 2020, 04:47 PM
FN in MT
Dozens of youtube vids of these idiots crashing, overheated turbos catching on fire, etc.
March 31, 2020, 04:54 PM
corsair
Yup, that's the East Oakland that I know.... Roll Eyes

Such a cosmopolitan and inclusive community.
March 31, 2020, 05:49 PM
Bulldog7972
We can only hope.
March 31, 2020, 06:15 PM
46and2
Some of you are such nerds sometimes it hurts.

I'm so pleased you're not in charge of anything.
March 31, 2020, 06:27 PM
berto
Oakland being Oakland.

The city should create a space for sideshows to take place. Maybe the parking lot at the Coliseum. Let the knuckleheads have their fun in a more controlled environment than random intersections. They'll never stop all of it though.
March 31, 2020, 06:35 PM
corsair
quote:
Originally posted by berto:
Oakland being Oakland.

The city should create a space for sideshows to take place. Maybe the parking lot at the Coliseum. Let the knuckleheads have their fun in a more controlled environment than random intersections. They'll never stop all of it though.

Considering Deep East is where all this shit happens and the Raiders are moving, you'd have thought one of the 'progressive' council members hadn't thought of such an idea.

Meanwhile, every suburb town now has a skateboard park built as apart of its parks and rec areas.
March 31, 2020, 06:36 PM
ZSMICHAEL
The "Fast and Furious" formula (dudes + cars + babes = $) gets recycled in Tokyo, where the cars are smaller, the clothes are kookier, but the boys are still boys.
Tokyo Drift. So bad it is comical.
March 31, 2020, 07:03 PM
Expat
I dunno. I get the concern about the stupidity. Isn't this a modern day rite of passage in some way? Guilty of similar behavior in small rural towns near where I grew up. Maybe I'm talking too much but I had a lot of "fun" growing up.
March 31, 2020, 07:16 PM
Graniteguy
Is there a part of this footage that is supposed to be impressive?

I was doing rookie level stuff like that on my YZ80 when I was 13.
March 31, 2020, 07:17 PM
LS1 GTO
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:
There’s probably a stupider way to waste a set of tires, but it isn’t coming to mind immediately.

Cough, cough.... stolen wheels.... cough, cough

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

March 31, 2020, 07:27 PM
berto
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
quote:
Originally posted by berto:
Oakland being Oakland.

Considering Deep East is where all this shit happens and the Raiders are moving, you'd have thought one of the 'progressive' council members hadn't thought of such an idea.

Meanwhile, every suburb town now has a skateboard park built as apart of its parks and rec areas.

I think the city won't sanction any sideshow event because of liability concerns and no private enterprise will do it because of insurance costs. Nobody will pay to enter an event when taking over an intersection is free and carries a very limited chance of any consequences. Even when LE steps to the plate and launches a multi agency response and reportedly tickets or impounds cars I'm pretty sure it all goes away when the DA waves her fairy wand in the interest of justice and lets everybody get their whip back.
March 31, 2020, 07:48 PM
Otto Pilot
Isn't that called doing donuts? And it's impressive? I'm with Graniteguy. I was doing that in a 77 Chevy pickup in my teens. We just did in parking lots for fun. It wasn't generally a crowd sport.

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon
March 31, 2020, 07:51 PM
oddball
quote:
Originally posted by Graniteguy:
Is there a part of this footage that is supposed to be impressive?

I was doing rookie level stuff like that on my YZ80 when I was 13.

There is nothing "impressive" about this kind of shit.

It is Grade A Ghetto idiocy. These gatherings have people hit by cars, gang fights, shootings, etc. Again, just ghetto shit. All of this during the shelter in protocols set by the state.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965
March 31, 2020, 08:04 PM
sourdough44
Yeah, I see a waste of rubber, many younger folks may not think that way.
March 31, 2020, 08:33 PM
shovelhead
And Detroit steps up to the plate too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTjMgn969eQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lEIncsax98
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jG5kFWf6cBM
Plus many other places in the city also.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)
March 31, 2020, 08:44 PM
mikeyspizza
Just think, some of those cars will wind up on a used car lot.
March 31, 2020, 10:27 PM
shovelhead
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyspizza:

More likely repo'ed........

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)
March 31, 2020, 10:59 PM
Nismo
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyspizza:

More likely repo'ed........

Repo'd and sold off at auction to used car lots.