SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any Mini Owners? 2014 Clubman S [pg2]?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any Mini Owners? 2014 Clubman S [pg2]? Login/Join 
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ftttu:
I was HUGE into the MINI culture. I’ve owned an ‘05 hardtop, an ‘07 Clubman, a ‘10 hardtop, and an ‘11 hardtop. I went to England in ‘09 for the huge Mini/MINI birthday at Silverstone Circuit, was on MINI forums for hours a day, and went to many meetings, runs, and MIINI sanctioned events.

I’ve met the US MINI head and the head designer of MINI on different occasions, and they actually remembered me amongst all of the other MINI/Mini enthusiasts. I even met John Cooper’s son there in England. Yep, I was into until I was wronged by BMW USA. I instantly sold my ‘11 hardtop and gave all of my related gear and trinkets to the head of my local MINI club.

So…personally, I’ll never own another BMW product, but I can tell, driving my MINIs, especially VERY spirited through the high mountains of Colorado with several other MINIs was one of the most fun times I’ve had. Loved driving them all!

That said, even though I’ve had 4, especially 1 1st gen and 3 2nd gen’s, I’ve never had one problem with any. Yes, I didn’t have a bunch of miles on any but my 1st gen Cooper(normally aspirated), but I did drive them all in a ‘spirited’ manner.

People on the forums claimed problems like timing chain or CVT problems, but again, nothing for me. Still, I don’t think they are long term cars at this point. I can’t say anything for the fugly 3rd gen’s since I left the hobby right at the time they were about to hit the streets. Good luck!

good to know on the motors,

I had not taken the time to dig into the makers, but was just told French on the Cooper S's I had,

and agreed on the new body style, a 4 door hardtop is just criminal,

that's the biggest reason I did not buy a new one when my 13 was totaled,

and a Cooper with a CVT is blasphemy as well

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10423 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
First gen motor was a 1.6L version of the 2.0L iron block Chrysler put in the Dodge Neon SRT4 and was made in Brasil. Very stout bottom end on it.

Could easily be made to displace 2.0L and with either a turbo swap or centrifugal supercharger and water-to-air intercooler, could make BIG power.

Heck, my 1.6L stock bottom end with underdrive pulley, GP intercooler, JCW airbox, underdrive pulley, big valve head, larger injectors and four-into-one long tube headers made 70% more power than stock and that was with a mild increase in boost from the pulley (15% underdrive vs. the more aggressive ones some used).

We some of the 2.0L conversions make 400+ whp and 300ft/lbs. Makes for a FUN with a vehicle that weight only 2500lbs

Posts: 3089 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
I put front factory tower braces on from the Cabrio for extra rigidity, reinforcing strut tower plates (metal was known to deform on hard impacts), Cross coilovers, 16" SSR wheels, 16" Volk TE37's, 18" HRE's color-matched.....DEEP END on bottomless pit of $$$ spent on mods.

HRE's for show:

Volks for every day

SSR's for "go" with Yokohama race rubber...

underhood pic with factory JCW and GP parts (re-tasked the rear wiper reservoir with an intercooler spray kit)

Recaro's out of a Mitsubishi EVO IX on custom sliders, UK market center console (flips out of the way), JCW carbon and Alcantara bits and leather dash

shift light from an R56 JCW retro-fit to the R53...it really came in handy on the track

JCW GP third brake light aero insert (moved the CHMSL lower inside the glass) and aero lip....also had a JCW front Aero bumper added.

Posts: 3089 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Power is nothing
without control
posted Hide Post
I had one for a couple years. The engine and transmission never gave me any trouble, but the rest of the car sure did. Rear hatch rusted through starting around the license plate mount hole. Drivers seat adjustment system failed and locked up. Both window motors went out. I know there was more, but don’t remember all of it anymore. Sensors and ancillary electronics were the bane of my existence on that car. Fun to drive, but it felt like something was always broken so I sold it. It was barely over 80k when I got rid of it. I wouldn’t recommend one unless you can replace electrical stuff yourself, or you plan to strip it and go racing.

- Bret

Posts: 2466 | Location: OH | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
PGT, that HT looks fantastic, those Recaros look perfect in there.

ftttu, no email in your profile.

Any issues with your NA Cooper? Found a base 2012 6MT Clubman [with under 100k] and a 2013 Base 6MT Hardtop local, still tossing the idea around. Test drove a JCW Clubman years ago & recall it being a blast. Obviously the base NA Cooper won't be nearly as fast.
Always thought the Clubman was a fun kind of quirky, and having a more accessible back seat helps with kiddos.

The more time I spend sucking down 89 at 15mpg in my loaner 6.2l V8 Suburban, the more I want my Explorer back, but the thought of having no car note again is appealing. Looking around, the Clubman on 93 would be about equal to what I'm spending on 87 in the Explorer, better MPG offset by pricier fuel.

Coworker has a 2019 Cooper 5-door, and it's been trouble free [but obviously a completely different generation Mini].

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15331 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
PGT, that HT looks fantastic, those Recaros look perfect in there.

ftttu, no email in your profile.

Any issues with your NA Cooper? Found a base 2012 6MT Clubman [with under 100k] and a 2013 Base 6MT Hardtop local, still tossing the idea around. Test drove a JCW Clubman years ago & recall it being a blast. Obviously the base NA Cooper won't be nearly as fast.
Always thought the Clubman was a fun kind of quirky, and having a more accessible back seat helps with kiddos.

The more time I spend sucking down 89 at 15mpg in my loaner 6.2l V8 Suburban, the more I want my Explorer back, but the thought of having no car note again is appealing. Looking around, the Clubman on 93 would be about equal to what I'm spending on 87 in the Explorer, better MPG offset by pricier fuel.

Coworker has a 2019 Cooper 5-door, and it's been trouble free [but obviously a completely different generation Mini].

My initial desire for my first MINI, and later, for my second, I only wanted NA. I didn’t want the problems of a small forced induction engine, so I stayed with the Cooper performance level.

While trying to keep up with the Cooper S and JCW models in the high country of Colorado while on MINI runs, I found I needed forced induction. I was with them or better in the curves, but they would tear me up ascending steep high altitude mountain highways.

I loved my Clubman Cooper, especially having a family, but I decided to go to a Cooper S hardtop for the performance I needed way up high. Also, that ‘10 model had a real limited slip differential as opposed to the non-mechanical of the ‘11. However, I really liked the sport button effects of the ‘11 over the ‘10.

Again, I didn’t ever accrue a lot of miles on my MINIs, but I did drive them spiritedly while on my runs. I didn’t dog them out, but I did push them hard at times. I never had any mechanical problems with any. Also, they were all my weekend cars and not my daily drivers.

I discuss them with my wife every now and then, and it would be MOST difficult for me to choose my favorite. Typing this, I still can’t decide.

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1175 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Bumping this again.
PGT/ftttu, and others; thoughts on a '14 Clubman S?
Found one local while helping a coworker look for a new car.

72k miles, 6MT
Doesn't look very high spec, leatherette & bonnet stripes, but otherwise looks like a pretty average spec S.

Posts: 15331 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Bumping this one one more time.
May try to go check it out this weekend if they still have it.
Looking a bit more, it looks like it has the factory sport pkg [with LSD it seems], but otherwise a pretty normal Clubman S.

Anything in particular to check out if I can make it down there? Sounds like a 2014 has most of the earlier year issues worked out (HPFP, oil leaks & timing chain rattles).