SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Older model Porsche cars on craigslist, yes or no?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Older model Porsche cars on craigslist, yes or no? Login/Join 
posted
I know nothing about cars so I thought I would ask here. I have been browsing craigslist and I have been seeing these older model Porsche boxters and caymans (1990's and early 2000's). Can these vehicles be serviced at pep boys or similar places or do they require strictly Porsche dealership maintenance service? Can I assume that these models can be of similar maintenance than, lets say a nissan or toyota? Or should I stay completely away from those cars? I dont have a problem with oil changes and replacing filters, but I am used to the more common car maintenance like the mazdas, toyotas, etc.

Any thoughts?

Posts: 294 | Registered: September 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
NO offense meant...But You are right....You know nothing about cars.

Go to one of the Porsche forums, find the MAINTENANCE threads and get educated. LITTLE to NOTHING on a Porsche is cheap. Not even reasonably priced.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
Porsche at pep boys No! they are high performance mid engine boxster 986 that you cant even get to the motor without some effort. issue they had with the 2000 are real main seals pull engine transmission to fix. Porsche dealer will make you go broke. stay with a Toyota or Nissan.

I had a 2002 boxster s great car fun to drive but never looked forward to basic service. unless you know how the Porsche engines work and the details to an oil change don't do it it's not as easy as a spin on oil filter and a drain plug. with 4 quarts of oil. I believe mine had 9 quarts in a dry sump oil system it's been a while since I messed with them so don't quote me.

Caymens are a newer production car. not built before 2000 I think it was 2006. I had my boxster 3 years and never saw the engine.

https://www.bing.com/videos/se...BE71F93&&FORM=VRDGAR

Posts: 5606 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You'll end up getting a monumentally expensive education in exotic car costs if you don't spend at least a full year, maybe more, researching them first.

Tell us about your background in cars, then we can give some useful advice that is more positive. Frankly, I'd love to have either a newer one, or an older one (1960's 911 or 356) that would be easier to work on.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9177 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My experience is minimal but in reality is none. I am one of those who just gets in and drives. This is why I asked the question first, because I know nothing. Thank you gentlemen, I will stay away from these cars then. I will stick to what I have driven my whole life. But its just those cars looked so cool :-) But I rather drive the inexpensive, low maintenance that if something happens it can be easily fixed without braking my piggy bank.

Posts: 294 | Registered: September 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Can they be serviced at Pep Boys?
Generally, no, but that doesn’t mean they have to go to a dealership. There are lots of independents that specialize in one or more makes of German cars. My own indy mechanic told me to figure on $3000/year in maintenance costs. As he went on to say, an annual service may just cost a couple hundred bucks, but the next year expenses could run $5000 with a set of tires and some miscellaneous $2000 expense.

Can you assume maintenance is similar to a Nissan or Toyota. No, you cannot. The vast majority of Japanese cars are, to me, like beige Buicks; sleep inducing people movers. Porsches are high performance sports cars. Maintenance expenses are much different and much more expensive.

Many do not realize this, but Porsches are among the most reliable cars on the road. They rarely breakdown. If, like we do, you enjoy something more than basic transportation, they are worth the trouble and expense.

Posts: 13303 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
If you want a sports car—and it sounds like you do—look into Miatas and Honda S2000’s. Look at cars.com, get the Carfax on a car you are interested in. I wouldn’t buy a decent car on Craigslist.
Mazda and Honda sports cars as above are cheap to maintain, reliable, and great fun to drive.
The S2000 has a lot more power, but the Miata is much more popular and lots of fun to drive.

Posts: 18090 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I have owned a 1999 Miata, a 2005 Mazdaspeed Miata and currently own a 2006 Honda S2000. All have been worth their weight in fun and easy to maintain.
Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4241 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
This sharp performing model is example of being expensive to keep on the satisfying edge instead of somnambulistic Buick nap land.

It's not a beginner level car.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9856 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
They are not even close to the high end of Porsche cars but an older one will eat you alive.
This is a good example of if you have to ask the price, you can’t afford to play.

Posts: 9546 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
What 220-9 said. You will throw money at it just to keep it running enough to sell it. I know from experience.

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sjtill's suggestion of a Miata or S2000 is very good, if you keep in mind that these cars are smaller and slower than a typical Porsche. If I had the coin, I'd get one of the new Fiat 124 Spyders that's essentially a Miata with an Italian engine, rather than a Porsche, even a new one, simply because of the ease of maintenance and improved reliability.

Just make sure you fit in the car before you commit to it! Eek

Don't give up on the sports car experience, just because your first choice isn't the best choice for you.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9177 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Another good little ride that punches above it’s weight limit is a Subaru WRX. Stock, they are impressive and with some tweaks can be badass.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15626 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Waiting for an obsolete part to be shipped from the other side of the world may lead to a few weeks of down time when the wrong part breaks. Pricing a Bosch brake pressure switch for Series III ABS was around $390. A hydraulic accumulator will run you a few lottery tickets. Start saving for the parts and you may be able to afford it by the time you find one.

You do realize that the whole time you'd own the Boxter, you may not ever SEE the engine. Thinking the rear subframe and drivetrain would have to be lowered to swap plugs. Seen a few where they used a hole saw to the firewall to swap plugs instead. Do a practice run with a Toyota Previa. If you can swap four of those without a police report and a restraining order...

Look into a Caterham Super 7. I can't imagine a car more fun than that unless you are looking into 10 or more cylinders.

Posts: 9171 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
I bought a 98 e430 MB last summer because I'd always admired the big W210 chassis, it was a RWD variant, and it had the 8 cylinder instead of the more common 6 e320. I paid $6k from the original owner. Now, mind you, all of this maintenance was pretty much discretionary, not needed to make it go or stop, but I've doubled my investment in it already.

If "taking all the neglect out of it" at significant cost and effort, isn't your bag, then I advise avoid old German cars at CL price levels.

Posts: 11398 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
When I saw your title, I thought you were talking about old Porsche 911s.

I had a 1980 911SC, which were considered the first everyday driver models, with the 3.0 air-cooled engine and it was a joy to drive. Much more fun than the Honda Accords or Toyotas I'd been driving before.

The trick to owning a Porsche is to find a trust worthy private shop to maintain it. They'll make up a list of what you need done to keep it running and the priority of the items so you don't have to do them all at the same time.

I've found that a Porsche really are highly reliable cars. It is just that the parts are a bit more expensive when you need to buy them.

The cost is about on par with Mercedes, but less than BMW or Audi

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14188 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
If you're buying a Porsche, be prepared for Porsche type maintenance.

If you're buying a Nissan or Toyota, be prepared for Nissan or Toyota type maintenance.

Porsche has some known gremlins that can be VERY spendy to fix. If you have the scratch to throw in to one, I highly recommend getting it. They're kinda like a boat, just be ready to throw money at it. It's all state of mind. If you want to do oil changes and tire rotations, get a Honda S2000.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9698 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I’ll just drop this here...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=b4NX5CWWCAs

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15626 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
I’ll just drop this here...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=b4NX5CWWCAs

Not a bad option, but lets not act like getting an STI to push 8xx HP/42 lb of boost won't cost money or generally be a pain in the dick to maintain.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9698 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JeffSig2022:
I know nothing about cars so I thought I would ask here. I have been browsing craigslist and I have been seeing these older model Porsche boxters and caymans (1990's and early 2000's). Can these vehicles be serviced at pep boys or similar places or do they require strictly Porsche dealership maintenance service? Can I assume that these models can be of similar maintenance than, lets say a nissan or toyota? Or should I stay completely away from those cars? I dont have a problem with oil changes and replacing filters, but I am used to the more common car maintenance like the mazdas, toyotas, etc.

Any thoughts?

Holy smokes please research your Porsche purchase thoroughly before committing. Most of the "affordable" Porsche's or at least the variety one might take to Pep Boys for maintenance are NOT worth buying. For example, older Boxster's are not worth buying due to their propensity for catching on fire. Not to mention there are a ton of better German cars available for the money. Early water-cooled 996's are prone to serious issues with the intermediate shaft bearings failing (or something like that). Long story short it's a lot of money to fix. Don't go buy one for the sake of owning a Porsche. I'm personally holding out for a good deal on a 964 Carrera 4, but I'll settle for a 959 Sport.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2272 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post