SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Looking for decent daily wear dress shirts that are not see through
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for decent daily wear dress shirts that are not see through Login/Join 
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted
Dress shirts have changed drastically in the past few years. Stafford Super Shirts were my go to, great value dress shirt <$50. The fabric was not see through and the collars/cuffs did not bubble.

I can’t find anything comparable now. I do not want to spend $100+ for a daily wear shirt.

Anyone have a suggestion for a good quality value shirt made now?

I like basic white, light blue, with a pocket but not button down collars. Very traditional but so hard to find.

UPDATE IN THREAD

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Oz_Shadow,

Posts: 17903 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I suggest Nordstrom. Right now I’m wearing a Nordstrom shirt with a pocket. Admittedly, I don’t find dress shirts with a pocket there very often.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9001 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redleg06
posted Hide Post
Well, it's been over 25 years since I wore dress shirts, but I used to wear L.L. Bean Oxfords. They looked good and held up very well.

"Cedat Fortuna Peritis"

Posts: 1976 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I haven't worked in an office environment for a while, but when I did, Land's End shirts were my lower price choice.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30723 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I like the LL Bean Oxfords too.
They are nicely made and have a very wrinkle resistant quality. The do have the button down collar if you can overlook that. I prefer that to having collar stays.
They have solids and patterns.

https://www.llbean.com/llb/sho...it-university-stripe

Posts: 9540 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
I suggest Nordstrom. Right now I’m wearing a Nordstrom shirt with a pocket. Admittedly, I don’t find dress shirts with a pocket there very often.

Yes. I like the Nordstrom branded shirts w/ Smartcare. It's what I use almost exclusively now. They travel well and don't need to worry much about spilling things on planes and trains.

Seems like they have a sale going on now as well.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12754 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
When I was in the shirt/tie/suit world, I bought Van Heusen pinpoint oxford shirts at JC Penney. I also wore a t-shirt underneath, so I can't speak to whether they were see-through. I believe I also tried Penney's Stafford brand, if memory serves. Once I got into aviation, I stuck with the Van Heusen brand and they are very comfortable.

You might try Jos. A. Bank when they're having a sale. I believe I saw 3 for $99 the other day.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
It's been years since I bought dress shirts. My wife managed a large department store and her go to were the Polo ones from Ralph Lauren. I like 100% cotton, button down collar, long sleeve. I've still got several, when I need one they're ready to go and not outdated.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3406 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For the last year, I have had to wear a dress shirt for my job. I have found that Dillard’s Roundtree & Yorke Gold Label fit your requirements.

Pinpoint oxfords with good fabric, all cotton, and they come in regular, fitted, and slim fits.

I’m required to wear white only and I’ve found that these shirts are a brilliant white color that holds up well.

They’re advertised as no iron but I spray starch and steam iron them. They also have removable collar stays that can be replaced with metal stays.

If you have a Dillards, they often can be found on sale. Regular price is 60/shirt but I have found them as low as as 18/shirt.

Try one. I think you’ll like them.

Posts: 27 | Registered: September 05, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dillards and Amazons brand.

Posts: 2169 | Registered: April 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by UTsig:
It's been years since I bought dress shirts. My wife managed a large department store and her go to were the Polo ones from Ralph Lauren. I like 100% cotton, button down collar, long sleeve. I've still got several, when I need one they're ready to go and not outdated.

Polo was my original go-to. I especially liked no front pocket. They were comfortable and durable. But wrinkled a lot when traveling. But mostly I shifted to Nordstrom because of pricing; polo became too expensive for my married budget.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12754 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Jos A Bank Traveler has been my go to dress shirt. They're routinely on sale, and right now $40.

Work has bought us a few Brooks Brothers shirts with the company logo on them, and Brooks Brothers are very nice.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23313 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I had to wear a shirt and tie every day, I bought mostly Brooks Brothers and Jos. A. Banks.

I signed up for Brooks Brother emails and only bought on sale. BB prices bounce around on sale.

$200 shirts could be as low as $70.

Their cheaper shirts could go as low as $50.

But you had to page through the website to find the bargains.

Jos. A Banks is now owned by the people that own Men's Warehouse.

Much cheaper but I don't think the quality is what it used to be. You can get dress shirts for $40 during their constant sales.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Beautiful Mind
Picture of DetonicsMk6
posted Hide Post
quote:
Dillard’s Roundtree & Yorke Gold Label

These were my go-to shirts for the last 10 years of work. Very well cut and long wearing shirts and they come in Big & Tall if that's a factor. If you shop the sales you can get them for $35.00 on sale.

Posts: 4814 | Registered: March 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bob ramberg
posted Hide Post
Land's End Hyde Park Oxfords. Awesome shirt. Holds its shape all day. Still looks crisp at 5:00PM.

Bob
Carpe Scrotum

Posts: 1370 | Location: Democratic Peoples Republic of Madiganistan | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Land's End here too. Dress pants and oxford shirts for the last 10 years of professional life. That ended 13 years ago though, so no recent experience.

Posts: 654 | Location: in the PA woods | Registered: March 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Altitude Minimum
Picture of BOATTRASH1
posted Hide Post
Land's End Hyde Park Oxford fan here also. That is all I have for dress shirts, but they are rarely worn anymore.

Posts: 1227 | Location: Shalimar, FL | Registered: January 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Brooks Brothers is a little more in the cry-once category, but I wear their all cotton shirts most of the time and they hold up VERY well to laundry care.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12440 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I know what I like
I like what I know
Picture of Mark in Michigan
posted Hide Post
I was liking/buying dress shirts from Charles Tyrwhitt when I was working.

https://www.charlestyrwhitt.com/us/mens-shirts/

lots of flexibility of cuff, pocket, collar, size as well as fabric and color choices.
I always took my dress shirts to the cleaners t be laundered and pressed.

Best regards,
Mark in Michigan

Posts: 502 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: December 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the gold label ones and the ones from Paul Frederick

Posts: 248 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post