SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    You eat THAT? Post oddities you eat, but others snub.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

You eat THAT? Post oddities you eat, but others snub. Login/Join 
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted
Raw cranberries. I love them. I just picked up 2 bags and am munching on them now. I can't hardly get anyone else to eat more than one.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17278 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be prepared for loud noise and recoil
Picture of sigalert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
Raw cranberries. I love them. I just picked up 2 bags and am munching on them now.

Eek

“Crisis is the rallying cry of the tyrant.” – James Madison

"Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Posts: 3620 | Location: Middle Tennessee  | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
posted Hide Post
Hey, they're awesome! They have a texture like a small apple. Plus, the squishy ones that have the redness from the skin penetrate the flesh have a hint of cinnamon. Also, they are a "super fruit". The bag says so. I have yet to see one fly or lift a car, but I'll just go with it for now.

quote:
Originally posted by bigeinkcmo:
Sardines. I eat them 3-4 days a week on average. My daughters like them but my wife refuses to even try one.

Are we talking right out of the can, on a cracker, or something else? They weren't bad on a brick oven pizza.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17278 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
Beets. Not really a oddity but I have run into very few people who like them. I love them pickled, out of the can or raw and then steamed.
Plus I understand they are very good for you. I try to eat at least one serving several times a week. Mostly pickled from the jar.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8532 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The One True IcePick
Picture of eyrich
posted Hide Post
Mustard on fries

Posts: 859 | Location: IL | Registered: September 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
I do enjoy peanut butter and butter on saltines

Posts: 5323 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fried Okra

Brussel Sprouts

Posts: 944 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: February 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anchovies.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Kipper Snacks. Basically smoked herring (sardines). Wife makes me rinse the tins out with baking soda before I dispose of them. They ARE somewhat fragrant...

Regular ol' sardines are good too, IF you can get 'em relatively fresh. Oil and Jalapenos and Mustard are my two favorite varieties.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15233 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by btanchors:
Fried Okra

Brussel Sprouts

With ya on the fried okra. Not so much the BS.

Posts: 26910 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Hey, they're awesome! They have a texture like a small apple. Plus, the squishy ones that have the redness from the skin penetrate the flesh have a hint of cinnamon.

quote:
Sardines. I eat them 3-4 days a week on average. My daughters like them but my wife refuses to even try one.

Are we talking right out of the can, on a cracker, or something else?

I usually have King Oscars or Season brand from a tin. They're different species of sardines I believe and processed differently as well. I haven't had fresh but I'd be all over them if I could find them.

I'm a fish lover who's land-locked. I started eating more sardines and salmon when I learned how much mercury was in the tuna I was eating. Still love fresh tuna now and then but I haven't had canned tuna in a long, long time.

I usually eat the dines with toast or occasionally some crackers. I like them as part of a good breakfast to start off the day.

Crown Prince skinless/boneless in olive oil are great. Ive always wanted to try the Nuri sardines from Portugal but at $27 for 4 cans they are too pricey.

Posts: 4114 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Herring in cream sauce.

Posts: 1179 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I like Escargot, not weird to me, but a lot of people don't like it.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20824 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Fried okra

Pickled okra

Fried mullet (it’s a Florida thing, as I’ve never met anyone elsewhere that does)

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11285 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Fried chicken gizzards.

When the batter is right, I cannot pass them up.

The bowling ally at NAS North Island had some of the best followed closely by a corner gas stop in Watonga, OK

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Raw cranberries. I love them. I just picked up 2 bags and am munching on them now. I can't hardly get anyone else to eat more than one.

I do the same actually. People do look at me funny. Prefer trader joes.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eyrich:
Mustard on fries

quote:
Originally posted by btanchors:
Fried Okra

Brussel Sprouts

Yum and Yum and Yum.

The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:

Mmmm, the ones in mustard with a few dashes of Tabasco sauce (though maybe a couple time a month, not per week).

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Lengua

Have only had it a few times, but liked it each time.

First time it was slow cooked, whole. I was 15 IIRC & was pretty apprehensive of it, but it was quite good.

Had it a couple times as an appetizer on a few cruises. Served similar to pulled pork on a toasted bread about the size of a saltine cracker.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15328 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chicken feet Chinese style, I don't seek it out but, if its there I'm game.

Tripe Catalan style, is tremendous, the sauce was as good as the tripe itself

Tongue, on sandwich is pretty solid, most Jewish or, old world delis have available.

Liverwurst, same as above

Pate and Foie Gras, a fantastic taste and flavor that can't be described...smooth, unctuous, delicate. Spread a layer on bread, particularly like a Vietnamese Banh Mi sandwich and it takes it to another level.

Cuttlefish, yup eating it.

Headcheese, eating that too, not letting the animal go to waste. Just the preparation apart of a terrine I find fascinating, never had a bad one.

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post