SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Proposal Would Allow Students to Skip School to Attend Political Protests
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Proposal Would Allow Students to Skip School to Attend Political Protests Login/Join 
Picture of olfuzzy
posted
It seems like to me that this would be allowing students to be exposed to possible dangers/harm. I can see the lawsuits flying if the school allowed little Johnny to go to a protest and he got hurt.

A proposal in one Maryland school district would reportedly allow students to skip class up to three times a year to take part in political protests.

The Montgomery County school board is expected to approve the proposal that would apply to high school students, according to The Washington Post.

Students would be permitted to take part in political protests, as well as other kinds of "civic engagement" during class under the reported proposal.

The Montgomery County Board of Education student representative told the outlet that the proposal "gives students an opportunity to exercise civic responsibility without being penalized for it."

The proposal states that its goal is to make sure that students and employees are "guided" in what they do regarding "political campaigns, partisan election activities, and distribution of political or partisan materials."

It was reported that the proposal is expected to be approved as early as next year.

School board member Patricia O’Neill said that she wants students in the district to "be the next generation of leaders and learning."

"Learning doesn’t just occur in the classroom, it occurs in life experiences," she said.

http://insider.foxnews.com/201...d-political-protests

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Do you really think they would allow that if there was a Democrat, as president now?

Posts: 22884 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Too often, these days, I don’t recognize my country. This is one of the most asinine things I’ve heard, since...yesterday

Posts: 13220 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
why are students going to political rally's if they're not old enough to vote?

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53145 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
This doesn't really surprise me. If the public schools are training children for a lifetime of grievance and protest why not start early?

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24026 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by olfuzzy:
as well as other kinds of "civic engagement"

So they can be excused to attend a Trump rally?

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4124 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
its Maryland

what do you think?

this sort of thing only works in one direction

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53145 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On the surface, I have no issue with this, being able to protest the government is integral to a democracy. However, we all know the entire point of this proposal; very unlikely Jane and Jimmy are going to be encouraged or, supported, if they declare they'll be attending a protest against a Democrat/liberal figure.

quote:
The proposal states that its goal is to make sure that students and employees are "guided" in what they do regarding "political campaigns, partisan election activities, and distribution of political or partisan materials."

Just get it over with, create the youth-wing of the party with career tracking and support, integrate it into the schools, ostracize those kids who don't join and create your own elite. Roll Eyes

Posts: 14623 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I eagerly await the smart ass who creates a protest event demanding that trees be taught how to read and gets out of a test or presentation. O maybe a protest to lower the drinking age to 16. They have to let any kid who has a protest day banked go for any protest if they're to remain content neutral. The dummies in charge are opening a can of worms. Kids are always free to ditch class and go protest just like I'm free to ditch work and do the same. There are consequences to ditching work or school. This policy isn't giving the kids the freedom to protest as much as it's giving them freedom from the consequences of their actions. Personal responsibility should be taught not brushed aside.

Posts: 4276 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
I lived in Montgomery County for years and know a few people who teach in the county.

The overwhelming majority in the county lean left. Some far left.

It's also a fairly wealthy county although there are poorer areas. Think kids diving BMW's to school in a few of the HS.

I will have to ask an HS teacher I know well. Although often the teachers have not even heard of some the legislation proposed.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16387 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Undertaker
Picture of BigCity
posted Hide Post
It's Monkey County. Verrry far left. Do you think the kids get extra credit if they protest for Trump, guns or Patriot Picket?

John

The key to enforcement is to punish the violator, not an inanimate object. The punishment of inanimate objects for the commission of a crime or carelessness is an affront to stupidity.

Posts: 1728 | Location: People's Republik of Maryland | Registered: November 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
We lived in Monkey county for several years in the early to mid 1970s. It was a liberal shit hole back then, and has only gotten worse!

We actually joined a group of other parents and sued the county school system for the shit they were doing in the schools.

At one hearing, our leader (worked for the state department) read from a binder to the school board. They were outraged that he would bring that propaganda into the school board meeting.

Then he showed them that he was actually reading from the county school system curriculum guide.

Kind of stunned them, and that ended the meeting. There was actual drug dealing taking place in some of the schools, as well. Not to mention a 10 grade history teacher leading trips to NYC, ostensibly to teach the students about something or other. Reality was that he was assisting pregnant girls in getting abortions.

And when that bit of news surfaced, guess what the school board did! NOTHING.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25641 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
Our school once boarded students with 10 unexcused absences. Student, parent, teachers sat down and worked out what was going on. That as dropped when an administrator claimed the process was illegal and opened us to lawsuits.

My last few years I had students that were gone almost half the time. None of the absences were excused. They didn’t seem to care about grades. Parents? When we did meetings with parents and students, it was rare to have Mom, Dad and the student all have the same last name.
They

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nighthawk
posted Hide Post
Will the school district also provide bail too, when they get arrested?

"Hold my beer.....Watch this".

Posts: 5933 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Most high school students are like Marlon Brando in the following quote:

Posts: 17216 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Excuse me but... Follow along with me here.

1) These are high school students (i.e. not adults).
2) Because of 1) above, They are the sole responsibilities of mom or dad who should be the only ones who can exempt them from anything.
3) End of story.

Although, given the public schools aren't teaching them much of any real value while they're 'in' school, I doubt them not being 'at' school would make much difference in the overall scheme of things. This next generation as a whole are going to be utterly and completely worthless.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have to wonder__about allowing students out of class to attend political protests___ are today's students taught "American Government" (Indications from the last few elections seen, "No" ) and do they understand the electoral process. Do they even understand how and why the founding fathers decided on states...and what a state really is?
Were they taught Colonial and Early American history__some every day in the First grade and on to high school as I was.
I still believe George chopped down that damned cherry tree and told his father he did it! Why? So I should be like George and always tell the truth.
Honest Abe? Same thing__I'm an American.
In short, I not only thing today's students are being taught such but few of the electorate today
were not taught what an American really is.
Stay safe
Poli Viejo

Posts: 395 | Location: Green Valley, Arizona | Registered: May 01, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Typical... Last four years I have been living in NC, but before that, 29 years in Montgomery County. Between Martin O’malley as governor and Brian Frosh as AG, that state has been doing it’s best to become California of the East.

Posts: 425 | Location: Youngsville, NC | Registered: April 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Back when I was in HS, you'd never be allowed to miss school for a protest. Deer hunting was a legitimate reason to miss a few days! It was a different world, then.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2064 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Well, I have said it before.....another reason in a long list of why public education needs to go. The private sector can do it better, and it would give parents choice. This type of stuff is common, and even worse federally funded.

In Kentucky, the unions and the Kentucky Education Association is firmly in charge. And anyone who attempts to question that authority, will be trashed. Kentucky is near the bottom on education, but our numbers look great on the local level. In talking to students, to include my own kids, everything surrounds the "tests" that they have to take in the spring. All of the subject matter is covered again and again. If a kid looks like he is doing poorly in a subject matter area, or just flat refuses to take the test, a teacher's aid with "assist" him in taking the test, IE- take the test for him. They keep the disruptive students in school so they can draw the federal funding.

Anyone who questions the legitimacy of the process is shouted down for "hating teachers" and "hating kids". Local school systems are their own dynasties. Each trying to out do the other for the newest buildings, newest buses, and most perks.

Can't afford the lifestyle of that dynasty? No problem, raise taxes on the chumps, and if anyone questions it, accuse them of "hating children" or lately I saw a school board member nicely saying that voters were too stupid to understand what was going on, and they needed to shut up and pay.

Organized public education needs to go. Now.

Now.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37116 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post