SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    why are my tomatoes not turning red?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

why are my tomatoes not turning red? Login/Join 
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted
we had some early on turn red and there were delicious, but have a ton of green ones and no signs they are going to ripen. what's the scoop? we have had weather into the 90's all week still watering them but not to excess. peppers are great this year cucumbers are ok but not as good as last year, green beans are doing great. any ideas?

Posts: 5678 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
What kind of tomatos? A few neighbors here have had similar issues. I did not but grew mostly heirlooms.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8239 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
I give my tomatoes a diet high in nitrogen when the plant is growing and in its vegetation stage. When they get fruit on the vine, I lay off the nitrogen and make sure they have plenty of phosphorus. (Keep the nitrogen flowing too).

Keeping the plants pruned and not too leafy also helps as the nutrients are going toward the fruit, and not into unnecessary suckers or vegetation.

quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
I'd fly to Turks and Caicos with live ammo falling out of my pockets before getting within spitting distance of NJ with a firearm.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4364 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As a new gardener myself, is it Nitrogen for greenery & growth, Phosphorus for flowering & fruiting?

Posts: 15083 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
I've let the weeds take mine but there are varieties that are late, typically heirloom varieties. Hit em with some miracle grow, would not hurt to mix mg about 1/3rd strength and apply every couple days. Suckering is important and being diligent is an effort that I usually fall short. Start strong and by August say screw it.

I streamlined this year and only planted Better Boy's and Early Girls, 8 each. Had tomatoes by the 4th and still getting small/mediums. If the blossom end is showing a dab of pink it will color up so I'll pick them when I clean things up next week or so.

Posts: 4828 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
well I'm not positive on the variety, I do think the wife picked up some heirlooms but they are kind of medium sized. probably have 50 of them that look like this.

drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Maybe time for some fried green tomatoes!!!. ..................... drill sgt.

Posts: 2089 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Old joke, the punchline:

The dumb blonde says to the guys hey my tomatoes aren't turning red. What do I do?

The guys: All you have to do is lift up your shirt and flash your titties at the tomatoes. They'll get embarrassed and turn red. No problem.

A few days later the guys asked the dumb blonde if she had flashed her titties at the tomatoes and if they had turned red.

The dumb blonde (not that dumb at all, decided to play along).

"I did flash my titties at the tomatoes, but they did not turn red.

However, my zucchinis are growing like crazy!".

Don't think all blondes are dumb. You might get outsmarted and your own face turn red.

Posts: 11994 | Location: Near Hooker Oklahoma, closer to Slapout Oklahoma | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Try placing one or two in a paper bag with an apple. The apple gives off ethylene oxide which should turn the tomatoes red.

Posts: 86 | Location: South Florida | Registered: April 12, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
Of the things NJ is most famous for it would be tomatoes. Take all your green tomatoes and put them in a brown paper bag and place them in a cool dark space. they will all ripen a perfect red.
You're welcome.

Posts: 8724 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This...

quote:
Originally posted by downtownv:
Take all your green tomatoes and put them in a brown paper bag and place them in a cool dark space. they will all ripen a perfect red.
You're welcome.

And then next year, this...

quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:
Keeping the plants pruned and not too leafy also helps as the nutrients are going toward the fruit, and not into unnecessary suckers or vegetation.

Posts: 784 | Location: in the PA woods | Registered: March 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
those mature greens are going to color up nicely - couple weeks away.

Posts: 4828 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by XLT:
well I'm not positive on the variety, I do think the wife picked up some heirlooms but they are kind of medium sized. probably have 50 of them that look like this.

It'd help if you said which part of the country you live. The reason I say that is:
  • My Dad lives in Upper Midwest and he's trying to finish his tomatoes before frost
  • I live in Texas and most years I'm pruning the cherry tomatoes that survived summer and replanting sauce/slicer tomatoes. This year, I replanted both cherry and sauce tomatoes last Saturday.

If you live in the north like my Dad then a hard prune will help focus the plants energy into finishing tomatoes rather than growing vines and leaves. I had to do the hard prune this time of year when I grew tomatoes in Calgary, Canada (ie very short growing season). This article is really good description of what I mean by hard prune.

If you live in the south like me, a lighter prune would be in order.

Regardless of where you live:
  • You want to get some color (ie red or orange) on a tomato before harvesting or the paper bag trick will result in tomatoes that are bland like super market tomatoes.
  • Based on your picture, I'd guess that you're using a high nitrogen fertilizer (ie first number on label is higher than other 2 such as 24-8-16). The article I linked suggests 0-10-10, and both Dad and I use a water soluble 4-18-38. The reason is you want to be growing roots and fruit not vines and leaves.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23689 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Political Cynic
    Picture of nhtagmember
    posted Hide Post
    The green ones are for green salsa

Posts: 53835 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by nhtagmember:
    False. Tomatillos are for green salsa.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23689 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Alea iacta est
    Picture of Beancooker
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by tatortodd:
    quote:
    Originally posted by nhtagmember:
    False. Tomatillos are for green salsa.

Correct. My favorite salsa ever… but tomatillos make my stomach very upset. It’s like the tomatillo cleanse. I could have a colonoscopy after some. Hence I don’t get to enjoy tomatillos anymore.

quote:
    It'd help if you said which part of the country you live.

If I remember correctly, XLT is in Oregon.

quote:
    Originally posted by sigmonkey:
    I'd fly to Turks and Caicos with live ammo falling out of my pockets before getting within spitting distance of NJ with a firearm.
    The “lol” thread

Posts: 4364 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of XLT
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    quote:
    Originally posted by XLT:

It'd help if you said which part of the country you live. The reason I say that is:
  • My Dad lives in Upper Midwest and he's trying to finish his tomatoes before frost
  • I live in Texas and most years I'm pruning the cherry tomatoes that survived summer and replanting sauce/slicer tomatoes. This year, I replanted both cherry and sauce tomatoes last Saturday.

If you live in the north like my Dad then a hard prune will help focus the plants energy into finishing tomatoes rather than growing vines and leaves. I had to do the hard prune this time of year when I grew tomatoes in Calgary, Canada (ie very short growing season). This article is really good description of what I mean by hard prune.

If you live in the south like me, a lighter prune would be in order.

Regardless of where you live:
  • You want to get some color (ie red or orange) on a tomato before harvesting or the paper bag trick will result in tomatoes that are bland like super market tomatoes.
  • Based on your picture, I'd guess that you're using a high nitrogen fertilizer (ie first number on label is higher than other 2 such as 24-8-16). The article I linked suggests 0-10-10, and both Dad and I use a water soluble 4-18-38. The reason is you want to be growing roots and fruit not vines and leaves.

• I live in Oregon so the season will be over soon , I will give your suggestion a try then off to the brown bag after that. Thank you!