SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When a diesel comes apart.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When a diesel comes apart. Login/Join 
Banned
posted Hide Post
That new crankcase access looks like when my 300CID Ford six decided it wouldn't run well when the Fram from Mexico cardboard end cap failed. 1990s.

I almost lost the replacement when a knowledgeable older auto parts guy said, "screw on any other filter at all and see if your oil pressure problem goes away." It did. Never touched an orange one for Fords again. Chevy, no big deal.

Got to replanogram an Autozone store putting orange filters back on the shelf, got a lot of background from the store manager why they were taken out of the store. I gave him my story, same problem.

Of recent note a motor builder had a customer return his broken motor and guess who's filter was on it? $8000 motor but he saved himself $1.50 on the filter. You can't save enough money doing that to rebuild one. Ever. I learned my lesson.

Then there was the 99 Forester. Good filters wont fix a bad design, two motors and a transmission in 5 years. What I saved buying it I lost fixing it and sold it broke. Nice car aside from that and now they don't have those problems.

Back to an F150. But an '05 sure isn't the same as an '80.

Posts: 613 | Registered: December 14, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
The only good use for an orange can...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43918 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Back in the day I had a 6.2 Chevy throw a rod through the block like that and I drove it home a couple miles.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5689 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
I got to see first-had what happens when a CAT 3516 Marine engine throws a rod...M/V Sherman back in 2008.

Ship burned for 24 hours.

It was pretty amazing that even given the heat, damage, etc., they were still able to ascertain it all happened because one particular guy working the line when the engine was built left out an oil plug inside the engine.

Impressive seeing an engine that size.

Posts: 12543 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I saw an MG engine like that once. Threw a rod right through the engine block.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I was 17 I had an engine with a tapping noise.

I took it to three garages, they all said it was no big deal.

I had road in and driven that Buick for years.

I knew something was wrong, but had no idea what.

About three days later a rod went out the side of the 455 engine. Made a bigger hole than that.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
^^^
#7 main bearing? Out by the starter?

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43918 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of my friends builds (and quickly rebuilds as is the norm) racing engines. In his shop at any time are probably 100 engines. The number of them with visible holes in them seems pretty high. When shi* comes apart other parts go missing...

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11011 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by powermad:
quote:
Originally posted by Patrick-SP2022:
Does the factory which built the engine cover warranty labor?

Yes.
They were generous and gave me 25 hrs. $4,200 in labor.
I'm in it for 23 hrs right now with about 8 more to wrap it up.

I got 95 hrs to swap the Mack engine, took me 93, that job sucked ass.
Being a lease truck it got internal labor rates too which is about half of the regular rate.
Good for them but does effect my numbers at the end of the month.

That sucks. It's frustrating putting in a rebuild and doing everything right and having it grenade because it wasn't rebuilt correctly.

Too bad it's not an old detroit, it would still run..... hahahaha......I saw an old Detroit that did that on a lobster boat. They glued sheet metal over the hole after they removed the piston rod etc. and ran it for years on 5 cylinders instead of 6.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I almost asked if there were any diesels that could still operate if you did something like the improvised repairs on the Detroit Diesel jimmy123x saw on a boat.

That is incredible.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21122 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Would a Detroit Diesel be able to run in that manner because it’s a two-stroke? Does a DD draw fuel through and from the crankcase like the little two-strokes most of are familiar with? Or would you have to block off/shut off the injector to the cylinder without a piston?

Posts: 11005 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Was working in the parts dept of a 18wheeler dealership when a big truck was in the service bay area near the parts dept when a major malfunction caused diesel motor to start "running away" acceleration. Mechanic could not shut the motor off and the mechanics vacated the area just as the motor exploded sending parts everywhere even thru the roof. Caused quiet a mess over a large area. ................. drill sgt.

Posts: 2021 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
We did a little Ford tractor like that.
With tractors the engine is the front of the tractor.
If they have dry liners you can do that.
When a wet liner is cracked or broken it puts all the coolant in the basement.

On a two stroke Detroit you don't even have to seal the cover.
Detroit's store the oil on the exterior anyway.
Quite possibly the world's finest externally lubricated engine.

Posts: 1482 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
Detroit's will eat their own oil.
Seen a few take off.
Supposed to be an emergency air shut-off but sometimes the cable or whatever is broke.
All you can do is try to choke it off.
One old guy I worked with wound up with a giant hicky on his big fat belly.
He tried a clipboard first, it ate it so he pressed his belly over the aircleaner intake.
Funniest shit I ever saw.

Posts: 1482 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobtheelf:
Well, you see, the problem is that where stuff should still be, it's not.

quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
^Don’t forget the corollary: Where stuff shouldn’t be, it is.

Yes, the hole does not belong there.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31473 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Am I the only one expecting this video after reading the title.

Go to 4:30. The guy was lucky he got out of there alive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2zwCipHZGY

Posts: 3930 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
Would a Detroit Diesel be able to run in that manner because it’s a two-stroke? Does a DD draw fuel through and from the crankcase like the little two-strokes most of are familiar with? Or would you have to block off/shut off the injector to the cylinder without a piston?

No they do not draw fuel through the crankcase, they are like a 4 cycle engine as far as bottom end lubrication goes and use 40wt oil. They need a blower/super charger to run and then some are turbo charged. The hot rodders use the same blower on carberated muscle cars from the 60's etc. The injectors need over 100 psi cylinder pressure to operate, so don't think one even needs to be removed or blocked off.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Detroit 2-strokes draw air through ports in the cylinder liner that are exposed when the piston is far enough down in the cylinder.

As jimmy123x said they need a roots-type blower to push air into the ports because there is no intake stroke to create vacuum. They have "normal" cam actuated exhaust valves in the cylinder head.

The notorious oil leaks are part of the design. If oil gets past the oil ring at the bottom of the piston, it can come out through the intake ports in the liner. And the blower seals can leak too, sucking oil into the intake and potentially causing a runaway. Detroits are unique because they can puke oil out of the exhaust or out of the intake.

Fact fact - you can make them run in either direction - CW or CCW. If you stall one, it can start to run backwards on its own.

Also, the exhaust cam runs at crank speed, which is twice as fast as a 4 stroke cam. That combined with twice as many power strokes per rev and they have the unique screaming sound. First time I noticed that sound was the green goblin looking truck in Maximum Overdrive. Took me quite a long time to learn why it had that sound...

Except for the oil leaks they are pretty simple mechanical engines that can last a long time. The US Military still uses them in various vehicles. But they are dirty as hell on emissions and it is impractical to make them compliant with the regs that have been in place for the last two decades.

Posts: 4727 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
I saw an MG engine like that once. Threw a rod right through the engine block.

Pretty sure MG motors are supposed to do that....

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29723 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post