SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When a diesel comes apart.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When a diesel comes apart. Login/Join 
Picture of powermad
posted
Usually it's pretty interesting except that I just swung a factory recon engine in it.
Made it just over 8,000 miles then tossed a rod cap and turned it to scrap.

I had just got done swinging this one.
Had a gear train failure, they only stopped driving it because it had no teeth left on the air compressor gear and wouldn't build air.
Three months to get an engine for that one.

Now it sits waiting on an oil filter base that's been on backorder, no ETA.
Like everything else these days it seems.

Posts: 1482 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Owwwwwww!

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15267 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Damn! I've seen mechanical failures, but with all the semis on the road, I wondered about this like this happening. And the guys who do the work.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38712 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
It all looks like a jumble to me, but I've had my work described as the same. In that first image, are we looking at an engine with the side blown out?

Sort of like Gus in Face Off (Breaking Bad) S4 E13?

After an explosion, half of Gus Fring's face is blown off. The visual effects in this scene earned the episode an Emmy nomination for Outstanding Special Visual Effects.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Cap not torqued correctly or failed stud/bolt?

Put a nice set of curtains in the window...

Hate those "do all that work so you know how to do it again", jobs.

Did an engine change on F-15, once. First sortie, sucked up FOD off the runway on take off broke a blade that broke some blades, that broke some blades...

Made .20 flight, dumped fuel, landed. Engine was shuddering so badly before pilot shut it down, a bunch of the gauges "walked back" and were sticking halfway out the instrument panel. He said it was "interesting".

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43918 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
A little JB Weld and some spray paint will get you fixed right up.

Posts: 32547 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:

Ha! I was just about to post that.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29723 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Who built the cyan engine?

Posts: 4727 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
Does the factory which built the engine cover warranty labor?

Posts: 4130 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Patrick-SP2022:

Usually, if it's within the warranty period. Unless it's branded to the truck OEM (at their insistence) in which case the truck OEM is directly responsible for warranty, with a possible chargeback to the manufacturer.

Posts: 4727 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
quote:
In that first image, are we looking at an engine with the side blown out?

Yes, first set of pictures that were sent to warranty as proof of death.
Took out some fuel lines and sensors that were in the way.
Took out the head, rocker arm and cam on the inside.

quote:
Cap not torqued correctly or failed stud/bolt?

Found what was left of three of the rod bolts, never did find the cap, it spit it out somewhere.
Looks like loos cap bolts.
I know the top end like the head is installed and torqued with a machine.
Not sure if the rotating assembly is assembled and torqued by hand though.

quote:

I have fixed more than a few cracked blocks with Belzona.
About $600 for two small jars, matting, mixing spoons and such.
It's used to fill cavitational corrosion on the cylinder liners of large ship diesels.

quote:

It's Volvo D13, same as the green ones.
Macks are red and are the MP7 for the 11 liter, MP8 for the 13 liter and MP10 for the 16 liter.
Volvo's are green and are the D11, D13 and D16.
Different names on the valve covers and a few differences with the bolt ons but the base engine is the same.

The new medium duty Macks have a little Cummins in them now, those are Cummins red though.

Posts: 1482 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Altitude Minimum
Picture of BOATTRASH1
posted Hide Post
This right here is why, when I go down to check the engine room at cruise speed, I don't stand between the engines. I stay aft of the engines or move quickly to forward of the engines to do my looking around.

Posts: 1226 | Location: Shalimar, FL | Registered: January 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
^^^
Same with jet turbine and propeller plane of rotation. DO NOT BE THERE!
If it shits the bed, you be dead.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43918 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Ouch. I don’t know a lot about Diesel engines but I do know when it goes bad it’s expensive. I was considering a diesel truck a few years ago and one of the factors that killed that idea quickly was the astronomical cost of repairs when one of those engines experiences a failure.

I also read about newer emissions systems and all the crap that’s been added to diesels hurting their reliability/longevity and further driving up the cost of repairs.

I’m sorry to hear of the back ordered parts. That seems to be a bit of a theme across the board.

If there is anything good that comes from the empty shelves and back ordered parts so many people are suffering through right now I hope that it is a renewed interest and serious effort in rebuilding American manufacturing.

Powermad, when you mentioned it is a Volvo diesel I realized why it looked familiar. Years ago I was fortunate enough to travel to Göthenburg Sweden and go on a tour of the Volvo museum. There was a huge section devoted to Volvo’s Diesel engines. Prior to touring their museum I had no idea Volvo was serious about both Diesel engines as well as racing sailboats when they weren’t too busy building tank like automobiles. Knowing their history, investment and contributions towards petrol and diesel engines over the years it really puzzles me that they would publicly pledge to only make electric vehicles by 2030.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21122 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Patrick-SP2022:

Yes.
They were generous and gave me 25 hrs. $4,200 in labor.
I'm in it for 23 hrs right now with about 8 more to wrap it up.

I got 95 hrs to swap the Mack engine, took me 93, that job sucked ass.
Being a lease truck it got internal labor rates too which is about half of the regular rate.
Good for them but does effect my numbers at the end of the month.

Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
^^^
Same with jet turbine and propeller plane of rotation. DO NOT BE THERE!
If it shits the bed, you be dead.

I was on deck at night in the North Atlantic when an E-2's prop hit the wing of the one next to it.
It was pretty spectacular.
FOD walkdown for hours picking it all up.
No injuries, just scared the shit out of everyone.

Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
Well, you see, the problem is that where stuff should still be, it's not.

Posts: 3664 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
^Don’t forget the corollary: Where stuff shouldn’t be, it is.

Posts: 11004 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Powermad, when you mentioned it is a Volvo diesel I realized why it looked familiar. Years ago I was fortunate enough to travel to Göthenburg Sweden and go on a tour of the Volvo museum. There was a huge section devoted to Volvo’s Diesel engines. Prior to touring their museum I had no idea Volvo was serious about both Diesel engines as well as racing sailboats when they weren’t too busy building tank like automobiles. Knowing their history, investment and contributions towards petrol and diesel engines over the years it really puzzles me that they would publicly pledge to only make electric vehicles by 2030.

For cars maybe.
Volvo has more than just cars and semi's, they have fingers in all kinds of pies.
I've seen the Mack electric garbage truck, looks like a gigantic headache and of limited use.
Unless technology grows drastically, I don't see larger diesels going anywhere.

"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Sig:

We had a Mack where the previous owner/company had painted the whole thing gold. Strangest looking thing you'd ever seen. I regret never getting photos of it. Smile

Posts: 21121 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post