SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone familiar with US Forest Service Saw policy/certification?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone familiar with US Forest Service Saw policy/certification? Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
The main Offroad trails I ride cut through portions of US National Forest. It is not uncommon for a tree to be down on the trail.
Easiest course of action if they are too big or high to cross is to grab the chainsaw make a couple cuts and drag the tree to the side of the trail.

It has been brought to my attention that a saw certification may he needed when on US Forest land.

Reading the site does not really answer the question as it does not state all persons using a chainsaw on National Forest Lands. It lists employees, volunteers, participants, training consultants, and cooperators. I guess the argument could be one is volunteering or participating in trail management.
https://www.fs.usda.gov/about-...-policies/saw-policy

The trees that are being cut have already fallen and are a trail obstruction.

Any thoughts?

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25454 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
It’s my understanding that this only applies to employees, volunteers, or people otherwise acting as a government entity. To my knowledge, there is no restriction for private citizens. I know someone I can ask and check back in to verify.

***eta- the answer is no unless you’re planning to collect firewood. Then you need to obtain a permit to do so. Permits may be free or very low cost depending on the national forest. Clearing downed trees across a trail or road with a saw needs no cert or permit.***

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15636 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
That is what I figured but it is the Federal Govt. So you never know.

————————————————

Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Watch out, and make sure you are in NF and not in wildlands. I understand that power saws are verboten, with very serious consequences in wildlands areas. I got this information on a ranch in Wyoming, so it may be a regional thing where serious fires are a major concern, but find out and don't screw around with these rules.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12799 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Any thoughts?

Yeah, don't think is aimed at getting a fallen tree out of your path unless you are contracted to do it or a Government Employee.

Posts: 22955 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
Watch out, and make sure you are in NF and not in wildlands. I understand that power saws are verboten, with very serious consequences in wildlands areas. I got this information on a ranch in Wyoming, so it may be a regional thing where serious fires are a major concern, but find out and don't screw around with these rules.

Minor point, but the restriction is in Wilderness Areas. I clear trail every year in wilderness areas to get to our hunting spot, by hand with bow saws. Total pain in the ass. Chainsaws are not allowed.

Posts: 5769 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
I remember that used to be the rule. My first chainsaw had a red circular approval sticker after it was approved by the Forest Service but that was in the late 70's/early 80's. By the time I bought a new saw about '84 they were no longer needed.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8141 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
You'll be fine. Just be sure that you have a spark arrester on the saw. NF personnel can get cranky if your saw doesn't have one.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1967Goat:
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:

Minor point, but the restriction is in Wilderness Areas. I clear trail every year in wilderness areas to get to our hunting spot, by hand with bow saws. Total pain in the ass. Chainsaws are not allowed.

How do they designate the wilderness areas?
We stick to semimaintained forest roads.
Can’t seem to find any notations on the site.
https://www.fs.usda.gov/dbnf

quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
You'll be fine. Just be sure that you have a spark arrester on the saw. NF personnel can get cranky if your saw doesn't have one.

Jim

No worries with electric.

————————————————

Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
No exhaust porting or muffler mods, don't remove the spark screens, and you should be ok. If your saw is in a stock configuration, it should pass any forestry inspection.

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
USFS. Good Luck.

Any inquiry will take a few dozen meetings, forming a Saw Task Force, more meetings. Probably a lengthy EPA Oversight Committee investigation. Million$ of our tax dollars. Etc. Etc.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
How do they designate the wilderness areas?

Congress does. Trouble is that areas receive public pressure to be designated Wilderness and can become a “Wilderness Study Area.” When that category was established (WSAs) there was no sunset written into the provision. There’s an area just southwest of Jackson that been a WSA for ...25 years? They’re usually managed like a designated Wilderness to preserve the land’s character in case the area one day receives Congressional approval. Typically, the senators from a given state have to back the Wilderness designation, and Wyoming’s do not. That’s good, because the area is on the lee side of substantial areas of development.

The chain saw question. No problem, and there will be grateful people that you took the time and trouble to remove the deadfall. Any that stay in place very long leads to a new trail around it. Appreciate it

ETA: The Palisades WSA was designated by the Wyoming Wilderness Act of 1984—35 years ago.

Posts: 13310 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
call the man,
walk up to the ranger station and see what they say ,

get the guys name .

we have had four different rangers say three different things regarding any wood cutting.

A. no cutting at all
B. only downed trees may be cut
C. get a permit and follow the rules.
D. only in very specific areas , with a permit,no felling

or call the main office

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54719 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
call the man,
walk up to the ranger station and see what they say ,

get the guys name .

we have had four different rangers say three different things regarding any wood cutting.

A. no cutting at all
B. only downed trees may be cut
C. get a permit and follow the rules.
D. only in very specific areas , with a permit,no felling

or call the main office

If it’s not a “downed tree,” why would he cut. He stated he’s just clearing deadfall off a trail. He is not putting up a load of firewood—you need a permit for that. Retired now, but I WAS “the man.” District Ranger

Posts: 13310 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
If it’s not a “downed tree,” why would he cut. He stated he’s just clearing deadfall off a trail. He is not putting up a load of firewood—you need a permit for that. Retired now, but I WAS “the man.” District Ranger

In our area, we have so many downed trees from beetle kill the existing trails have become impassable. 2 years ago 5 of us, armed with our bow saws were not able to get through where we needed to go. We gave up and left. I studied a map and discovered another way around, no existing trail, but I was able to make my way through.

The biggest problem with trial maintenance is no one is doing it. Years ago there were forest service guys who would clear the trail. The particular trail I am talking about in Mt. Zirkel Wilderness hasn't see a forestry service guy in over 8 years. I know that for a fact because I'm the only sucker who maintains it! Call the forest service and they say they don't have enough resources. However, I see quite a few guys in the office doing desk work when I go into the offices.

I will say they do maintain the more heavily used trails, but the more obscure ones, nada.

</drift/rant>

Posts: 5769 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Here is a graphic representations of FS budgets showing the impact of wildland firefighting on budgets.

The green of the tree represents NFS or National Forest System budget. That’s the money used to manage our National Forests. That would obviously include the hiring of summer seasonals for trail maintenance.

Here's another to illustrate an unfortunate trend