SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    YouTube TV remote for vision impaired 83 year old
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

YouTube TV remote for vision impaired 83 year old Login/Join 
Be prepared for loud noise and recoil
Picture of sigalert
posted
Hi all.

My Mother-in-law is staying with us for thanksgiving. She’s a cable news junky. The problem is, we don’t have traditional cable. We use YouTube TV. Does anyone know of a remote control solution for that? There’s no way she can learn a new interface.

I’m assuming some kind of scripted universal remote scenario. But I thought I’d check here first.

Thank you.

“Crisis is the rallying cry of the tyrant.” – James Madison

"Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Posts: 3620 | Location: Middle Tennessee  | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Voice control/command?

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15379 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be prepared for loud noise and recoil
Picture of sigalert
posted Hide Post
I’d think a traditional channel scroll buttons will be fine. I can block channels she never watches. Say… anything Fox. It’s going to be a long week. Roll Eyes Big Grin

“Crisis is the rallying cry of the tyrant.” – James Madison

"Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Posts: 3620 | Location: Middle Tennessee  | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Or block everything but Fox & Newsmax, if you want a really long week Razz

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15379 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of steve495
posted Hide Post
I set up my mom with a Firestick and the little remote it comes with. Very few buttons, but power, nav and sound all on one remote.

Seems to work well.

Steve

Small Business Website Design & Maintenance - https://spidercreations.net | OpSpec Training - https://opspectraining.com | Grayguns - https://grayguns.com

Evil exists. You can not negotiate with, bribe or placate evil. You're not going to be able to have it sit down with Dr. Phil for an anger management session either.

Posts: 4992 | Location: Windsor Locks, Conn. | Registered: July 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Do you use a Roku to run YouTube TV? Does she have an iPhone?

There are a number of virtual remotes on the Apple App Store that have pretty large buttons that might work if you set that up for her.

I love my Roku TV but have always disliked the tiny remotes. I wish someone would make a giant Roku remote

Posts: 33882 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
PASIG,,,, you want a little remote?

Try an Apple TV remote. Big learning curve on that one. Seriously, it’s probably not for you.

Posts: 11149 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you have an Xbox game console in the house, you can use the controller that comes with it to control everything. About the only thing I think you might have to do would be to download the Youtube app on the Xbox if it isn't already on it, or you can even use the internet browser on the console to just go to Youtube's website.

I wouldn't be surprised if there is an Android Youtube remote control app for it available to control through the phone.

Also Bluetooth connections between a phone and a BT capable TV might also work.

Posts: 247 | Location: Utah | Registered: June 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post