SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I Got a Chilling Message/Fake Email from the Company
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I Got a Chilling Message/Fake Email from the Company Login/Join 
posted
The company uses a fake Email trainer called Hox Hunter, that sends you trick Emails too see if you are practicing Email safety. It's evil and sends really convincing Emails that are hoaxes that you are supposed to flag.

So I get one the other day that says, I was mentioned as a contributor to a paper submitted by Paul Erdos.

Well, for one thing, Paul Erdos is a fairly obscure, Hungarian mathematician that has almost twice the number of published papers as any other mathematician, doesn't have a home, only owns what he carries in 1 suitcase and 1 tote bag, is a habitual benzadrine (speed) user, and has worked on projects far and wide that you've seen on the news with out compensation or recognition. A brief visit, a few words of advice, and he's gone.

How do I know this? Because I was reading his biography when I got the Email. Not a library book, no cameras.

Out of all the people in the world, why or how did that name come up? I hear Twilight Zone music.....I should have bought a lotto ticket that day.

Posts: 389 | Registered: February 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Were you reading a physical book or online?

You only think there are no cameras. cameras are cheap and easy to install these days. If you have badge access security doors, you have a high probability of being watched.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19659 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They knew you were screwing around on company time and wanted to give you a subtle reminder to get back to work. Big Grin

Yeah yeah we all know it was ten o’clock at night.

Posts: 3919 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Was it from “The Phone Company” ? They know everything.
https://youtu.be/cTPzTG1Lx60

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5053 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
Many times my wife will be having a conversation about something she's interested in buying or trying, and within a few minutes, she has an email advertising that very thing.

In your case, if it was an e-book, that could make sense. Or if you bought it on Amazon using your work computer, it's possible your company scans your usage logs.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4930 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Went to the Eye Doc for an exam yesterday, he said your left eye has a slight cataract, I joked we had a Lincoln, he laughed, I laughed, Siri Laughed, face book served me 15 ads for Cataract surgery........

Posts: 23445 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I'm not enough of a techie to explain it well but I think it has to do with "cookies" that leave little internet bread crumbs showing where you were.
In your case since you're using company equipment, they may have a more direct way to tell.

https://www.pcmag.com/how-to/h...20and%20data%20cache.

Posts: 9507 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
I'm not enough of a techie to explain it well but I think it has to do with "cookies" that leave little internet bread crumbs showing where you were.
In your case since you're using company equipment, they may have a more direct way to tell.

https://www.pcmag.com/how-to/h...20and%20data%20cache.

Ask Chat Gpt-3

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
They are everywhere....

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Alexa. Echo, Nest, Ring, Cell Phone, Smart TV?

“Let us dare to read, think, speak and write.”

John Adams

Posts: 315 | Location: Land of 10000 Taxes | Registered: March 19, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jprebb
posted Hide Post
My company uses the same service to train employees to be able to catch suspicious emails.

Some of the emails are pretty good.

JP

Posts: 2048 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
"The call is coming from inside the house!"

Posts: 107576 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jprebb:
My company uses the same service to train employees to be able to catch suspicious emails.

Some of the emails are pretty good.

JP

Where I work does this too. Some times I click all the links and play along because I know they're fake. Other times I used it against them. I put of some "required mandatory training" for many months, pretending I thought... er I mean, because I thought they were fake links and phishing attempts.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
My eldest son works for an org that spy’s on his mouse/cursor activities constantly…

… I suggested he find a new gig. Wink

Also, write/install a script that drives the cursor here and there… click click … (continue weather balloon trajectory)

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
I don't know how true but was told that when Siri and Alexa are enabled they collect data from your conversations.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7098 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
Last weekend I purchased a book about beavers (cue the jokes ...) at a local nature preserve. I am not a member and they have no info about me afaik. I paid with a credit card.

Monday I start getting served up beaver videos on YouTube. I've never watched a video or done anything else that would put me on the radar as interested in the topic.

My wife frequently gets served up stuff on Instagram related to recent conversations she's had. I do believe Big Data is monitoring everything despite our best efforts at privacy.

Posts: 9445 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
Hmm that explains all the ads for belly dancers and foot models.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39752 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If the call is coming from inside the house, DO NOT run into the basement wearing a bra or bikini top. I have it on good authority that's a very quick way to get killed in a grisly, graphic fashion.

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I got nailed on one of our faux fishing e-mails. Maintenance was doing work on my floor's emergency exit and it was temporarily out of service. Everyone on my floor receives an e-mail about a map to the temporary emergency exit plan, and myself and about half the floor clicks the link. I forgot that the IT gremlins have offices on the opposite corner of the floor and would know about the emergency exit situation.

Everyone who clicked the link has to talk to their boss and name ends up on a list for a year. How the hell is a phisher in asscrackistan going to know that the emergency exit on my floor is out of service? Talk about pissing away company time on a faux fishing e-mail that has a zero percent chance of occurring in real life.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23253 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

IT, here
We do phishing tests periodically. Nothing to nefarious, and it just redirects to a vanilla site on email security, and provides us a list of those that clicked the link.
Only around 400 employees here, and probably 60/40 field/office personnel.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15315 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post