SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Polaris Ranger owners. Input please.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Polaris Ranger owners. Input please. Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
Specifically a 2007 700 xp fuel injected?

We have a couple of good atv's but have used very little and have decided if we can find the right deal we may move from the Atv's to a utv. Think we may have found something that would work.

The unit has low hours and appears to be in great cond. Owner wants an atv and cash. That works. After trading one and selling the other we will have this utv for an out of pocket amount that we can work with.

So any thoughts about this model, the Ranger in particular or general comment plz chime in.

I was wanting a Kubota but that just seemed a bit out of reach. The Ranger seem's like a good compromise maybe.

This going to be a general purpose vehicle. Probably put a plow on it. Use mostly for utility.

Thanks guys and gals.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19707 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not all who wander
are lost.
Picture of JohnV
posted Hide Post
We have a Polaris Ranger 800, I think its a 2012. We use it all the time on our farm land of 430 acres. We've pulled entire trees with it, boats, stumps. We've use it to spread fertilizer, seed, drag harrows and cultipackers. We've loaded the bed down with 1,000lbs of lime several times. One of my friends, even rolled it over suffering a broken arm and complex laceration to his scalp requiring over 22 staples. We've done mostly just regular maintenance. We had a overheating issue once but that was a result of mud and dirt clogging up the coils on the radiator.

Anyways, YMMV, but we've been very happy with ours. Kubota makes a nice UTV as well.

Posted from my iPhone.

Posts: 4321 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: February 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
Specifically a 2007 700 xp fuel injected?

We have a couple of good atv's but have used very little and have decided if we can find the right deal we may move from the Atv's to a utv. Think we may have found something that would work.......

....This going to be a general purpose vehicle. Probably put a plow on it. Use mostly for utility.

I can't comment specifically on the 07 Polaris 700 xp but I have a 2012 (I think), Ranger mid-size 500 EFI, which replaced a little Kawasaki Mule 610. Since having the Mule (and Ranger) my ATV mostly just sits. We find a bench seat side-by-side to be so much more useful and easy to slide on and off, it seems more sociable having your passenger beside you rather than sitting behind, and having the little dump bed for hauling stuff is really nice.

I think Polaris' are pretty reliable so I really don't know what to suggest to look out for on a used one other than the obvious; what kind of person has it, how many hours, and how was it maintained.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7261 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have a 2015 500 efi with full cab enclosure, love it. No problems. I added a 3500# winch and an external power inlet to keep the battery charged. It is not used to beat through the brush and ride hell out of it. My main use is a cart for Shooting Sporting Clays. I use it around home and garden, going to get the mail etc. It has selective 4 wheel drive, 2 wheel drive, or a turf mode that unlocks the read differential so as to not tear up your lawn on tight turns.

Awake not woke

Posts: 592 | Location: Citrus Springs, Fl. | Registered: January 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
My very close friend has the exact same model and year as you. The thing is awesome. It hits the trails pretty hard and keeps pace with all of us on bikes and quads, pulls "cooler duty" in the rear.

It gets used extensively for wood hauling, and tree pulling. Occasionally for gravel to spruce up the trail coming into the camp.

It's a great machine and with proper maintenance should last a very long time.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JoeSig
posted Hide Post
Have been maintaining one since early late 2007 at the hunting camp. Our is a 750 Twin EFI.

We had a bad / difficult to find coolant leak early on - one of the heater hoses was chaffing against the drive shaft under the front of the floorboard. spliced the hose and zip-tied it away from shaft.

Keeping the battery in prime condition can also be a challenge. Make sure you keep a trickle charger on it when you have extended periods with no use. We have had best luck with an Odyssey battery with a Odyssey-specific charger.

Otherwise it has performed very well - has had some serious use carrying heavy loads of rocks to fill-in low wet areas on the swampy parts of camp and retrieving loads of fire wood.

If you do carry heavy loads in the dump, make sure you are in 4 wheel low and keep the speeds way down - this will be less wear and tear on the drive belt. We ate a belt with the heavy rocks.

Parts can be expensive, but maybe that is simply true of other atv's.

This veh takes synthetic oil - at least the 750 Twin does..., also be aware it is easy to drain the wrong fluid out underneath - make sure it is In fact the motor oil drain you are removing.

You will sense much engine heat coming from the vent panel in the center lower of the bench seat while running [esp. if you have a cab] - this has been a common complaint of this model. Running premium fuel will make it run cooler.

Ethanol in today's fuels will eat right through the rubber/plastic air horn coupler to the mass air flow sensor and same happened to the fuel sending unit in the gas tank. Now use ethanol neutralizer mixed in with the gas.

Hope this helps some.

JoeSig

Sola Gratia, Sola Fide, Solus Christus, Soli Deo Gloria, Sola Scriptura

Posts: 352 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: October 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info guys.

This one has alum wheels, a winch, a 12v outlet and a front windshield and head rests.It has kind of a minimal brush guard that protects the lower front end and winch. Not the lights and upper plastic like one would prefer. Better than nothing though. Other than that. I don't see anything else other than shifter, select drive switches, speedo, Winch controller and cup holders. They are using plywood for a roof. I will need to change that. I am sure the polaris plastic roof will be expensive.

Price is under $8k

Good or bad. Thoughts.

Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:

.....Price is under $8k

Good or bad. Thoughts.

Umm dunno about the price. Brand new 2017 Ranger 570 with 44 hp lists for $9,999 plus there's a $500 rebate from Polaris and whatever the dealer will discount. Personally I would gladly pay $1,000-$1,500 more for a new one with warranty, and all brand new wearables such as tires, brakes, suspension, drive belt, clutch, etc. Plus if you want to sell or trade it in a few years it'll be 10 years newer and probably worth a couple thousand more.

Posts: 7261 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
So the 700 has 40hp and the 570 has 44 hp? I wonder if on the ground that is the case? probably not. But that is how things are done these days. Pretty familiar with how all that works.

I hear you though on new. This deal works for me in part because of the trade of my atv. The trade value is more favorable to me than what a deal wants to give me. Like 2.5 times.

And it appears like this one "could" be a gem.

I am going to spend the day going prepared to do the trade, or not depending on how accurate our discussions have been.
With 1k miles on it I feel pretty confident it is a good possibility.

Thanks ride.

Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
So the 700 has 40hp and the 570 has 44 hp? I wonder if on the ground that is the case? probably not. But that is how things are done these days. Pretty familiar with how all that works.

Yes Polaris newer engines are both more powerful and fuel efficient than the previous generations.

quote:
I hear you though on new. This deal works for me in part because of the trade of my atv. The trade value is more favorable to me than what a deal wants to give me. Like 2.5 times.

And it appears like this one "could" be a gem.

Not sure why he's anxious to over value your trade because the market (around here at least) has really slowed down for used ATV's, but I guess that's his problem. That along with the Ranger having some extras and being "a gem" makes the deal seem to be in your favor. Plus the new 570 I referenced is a mid-size while the 700 is likely a wide Ranger. There are advantages to both. The wide full size can carry a little more payload and fit three across comfortably, but can be too wide to fit on a lot of ATV trails which is why I happen to prefer the mid-size. Mine fits three adults across as long as they're not too big.Big Grin Perfect for two adults and a child.

quote:
I am going to spend the day going prepared to do the trade, or not depending on how accurate our discussions have been.
With 1k miles on it I feel pretty confident it is a good possibility.

Good luck and if you get it be sure to post pics and a ride review!

Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
sent you an email ridewv, won't be able to respond here so use my email. Thanks.

Rock or Something
Picture of Marc in FL
posted Hide Post
I just purchased and restored a 2013 Polaris Ranger 500 EFI for my brother, specifications seem to be very similar to the your proposed 2007 700XP EFI. I found the Ranger to be a very rugged, customizable, and easy to work on. I was formally a Mule fan but IMHO, Polaris built a far better product for utility around a farm or ranch. Parts are easily available as well as numerous online guides and support forums.

Posts: 1133 | Location: Tampa Bay Area | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Thx Marc, hopefully his serves him well. You are a good brother Wink

Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
So I did get the Ranger 700XP. I believe it is a 2007 and pearl color. 186 Hrs. Has a winch. Been lightly used. Aluminum wheels. Box does not look like is has hauled much. Bigger and heavier than i imagined.

Going to add a couple of small led lights on the back of the roll cage. Also a pulley system to be able the use the winch as a power lift for the dump box. Also remove the plywood top and look for a good factory or aftermarket poly top for it.

They are noisy and since you sit right on top of the belt you hear it whine at higher speeds. They are not what I call overly smooth. But hey its is cross between a pickup and a jeep and maybe a tank Smile