SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Trying to retire from the Air Force Retired Reserve component, help.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trying to retire from the Air Force Retired Reserve component, help. Login/Join 
posted
well, I spent 28 years in the military, a combination of active duty Air Force and AF reserve. About 7 years combination of active duty and activated reservist, the rest just reserve time. I had three deployments all to the middle east. Now I entered retired reserve status in Oct. 2010. I have finally reached the retirement age where I can finally retire. 59 1/2 due to my deployments.
Here is where the confusion starts, I logged into the "My pers" website, which by the way is not user friendly by no means,and they sent me an application, which is extremely confusing, to say the least. Does anyone know of any organizations that can help sort through this madness, I am being told that there are organization's that will help, but no one seems to know a name. I've tried Still serving Veterans, and the American Legion, The VFW, and MOAA.
Any Help will be greatly appreciated.

Posts: 170 | Registered: March 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Are you anywhere near a base where you could go to the local personnel office? Is there a drilling reserve component near you where you could contact the staff NCO or S4?

The other thing you can do is call the nearest JAG office to you. When I was active, we had access to a list of former JAGs in private practice who were willing to help retired and reserve component members with problems.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12774 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did you check with your unit and see if they can point you to where they hold Transition Assistance Program (TAP) classes? I think that's your best bet. Though they usually deal with people transitioning from active duty, I would think of all people, they'd be able to point you to the right folks if they themselves cannot help you.

...that I will support
and defend...

Posts: 872 | Location: Northern VA | Registered: July 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would start with the unit you retired from. I retired from the IL ANG in 2007 at age 57, three years later the checks started coming. TriCare also kicked in and I got a new ID card (I live near an Army post that issues cards).

Air Force Reserve may do things a bit differently, but check with your last unit.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
USAF, lay fetal and cry until an adult finds you?

In seriousness, go to the closest base. Talk to the Personnel office or whatever its called there.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6318 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OttoSig:

You’re a fucking douchebag!!

Posts: 5415 | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Belgian Blue:
quote:

Wow,

A little ribbing between branches never touched someone so strongly!
Lighten up Francis.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6318 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Wow,

A little ribbing between branches never touched someone so strongly!
Lighten up Francis.

Go Fuck Yourself!!!

LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
To the OP...

For what it’s worth, I looked into the Air Reserve Personnel Center’s website and found a link to the vPC which offers a process to apply for retired pay:

https://www.arpc.afrc.af.mil/retirement/

https://www.arpc.afrc.af.mil/Resources/

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Belgian Blue,

No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
WHoa, I only saw the humor in it. Calm down BB

Yes, go to nearest base

Posts: 5318 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
WHoa, I only saw the humor in it. Calm down BB

Yes, go to nearest base

This is not necessarily good advice. More often than not, the personnel on base will simply refer a person to the online options, and this was before COVID-19. Depending on how far a person has to drive to the nearest base, it could end up being a waste of time.

BTW... Swede, you know where I found some good humor? In Georgia’s absolutely FUCKED UP voting process in the last Presidential election. In Oklahoma, we had our shit together and declared President Trump the winner while you guys looked like a monkey fucking a football.

You people need to get your collective shit together.

Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Are you a five year old?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30407 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I have 10 years active and 11 in the reserves and I am dreading having to wade thru this same thing when i turn 60 in 9 years....the only plus is that the CG doesn’t have an online anything for retirees. If you want something you gotta call Topeka (pay and personnel command)

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11275 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
Are you a five year old?

Do you have anything productive to assist the OP, or did you just show up to be another lemming?

posted Hide Post
I put in my retirement papers for the Army Reserve about 3 years ago. I downloaded the application and had to send it in with a copy of my 20 year letter, Retirement Points Statement, Retirement Orders, direct deposit info, survivors insurance form, and an IRS w-4 form. I just searched the internet to see what was required. I put the application in 6 months ahead of time and it went through seamlessly. You also have to be in the DEERS system which should have happened while you were on active reserve duty.

Maybe this will help you:

AIR RESERVE PERSONNEL CENTER

https://www.arpc.afrc.af.mil/retirement/

RETIREMENTS Frequently Asked Questions

Q: How does a service member obtain a reissue of their 20 year letter?

A: To retrieve a copy of the 20 Year Letter, the service member can log into the vPC Dashboard through
myPers - https://mypers.af.mil/, and clicking on Access the vPC Dashboard. Once in the Dashboard, click
on the 'Action Requests' tab, and then click on the 'Request a 20 Year Letter (Reissue)' link. The 20 Year
Letter will be available to the service member approximately 120 days after the close out of the
Retention/Retirement (R/R) year and completion of their 20 years of satisfactory service.

Q: How should a service member apply for retirement pay on their retirement eligibility date (ex. Age
60 or Reduced Retired Pay Age Date)

A: Service members must apply approximately 2-3 months prior to the retirement pay eligibility date by
logging into the vPC Dashboard through myPers - https://mypers.af.mil/, and clicking on Access the vPC
Dashboard. Click on the “Action Requests” tab. Under ‘Retirements (Overview)’ click on “Apply for
Retirement (Reserve, AGR, Mandatory, or Pay at Age 60)”. The service member will be prompted to
read and initial Retirement Knowledge. Select the Retirement Type prior to completing the application.
Service members will be prompted to enter contact information and upload the required pay
documents (DD Form 2656) and any additional documents if needed.

Q: How does a service member apply for a Reduced Retired Pay Age (RRPA) Date?

A: Service members must apply by logging into myPers - https://mypers.af.mil/, and clicking on Access
the vPC Dashboard. Click on the “Action Requests” tab. Under ‘Retirements (Overview)’ click on
Reduced Retired Pay Age Application. AF Reserve members DO NOT need to attach activation orders,
but merely save/submit (HQ ARPC/DPTTR has access to retrieve your orders in AROWS-R). Currently,
ANG members will need to submit orders for periods of “potentially qualifying” service within the RRPA
application.

Q: How does a service member verify their retirement pay application has been received by HQ
ARPC/DPTTR (Retirement Branch)?

A: Service members can check the progress of their retirement pay application by logging into myPers -
https://mypers.af.mil/, and clicking on Access the vPC Dashboard. Click on the “Worklist” tab and
following instructions below:
-View: Submitted by me
-Type: Retirement
-Start Date: Update year to prior year (ex. 2009)
-End Date: Current Date
-Click on the highlighted Refresh button
-Click on the entry returned
-You will see status of your application; who the application is assigned too, if your application
has been approved and when your orders are ready.
-There is a detailed Summary Report available in the lower right-hand corner

Q: What are the requirements to be eligible to apply for transfer to the retired reserve?

A: A service member can apply for transfer to the Retired Reserve, once the service member completes
20 years of satisfactory service. A satisfactory service year is defined by earning at least 50 retirement
points, including membership points, for each full retention/retirement year. If it is determined that the
service member is not physically fit for duty, the service member can transfer to the Retired Reserve
with at least 15 but less than 20 years of satisfactory service if recommended by medical board. In
addition, time in grade requirements must be met.

Q: How can a service member retire on a partial year?

A: Retirements technicians can verify if a service member has enough points in the partial year to credit
the member with a good partial satisfactory service year in accordance with DODI 1215.07. In the near
future, the service member will be able to utilize a partial year calculator to calculate points and service
to qualify for partial year credit.

Q: If a service member previously held a higher grade than their current grade, what grade will
determine retired pay?

A: Normally the service member’s retired pay will be computed based on the higher grade. If the service
member took a voluntary demotion, HQ APRC has the authority to authorize the retired pay to be
calculated in the higher grade. However, if the service member was demoted for cause, then all
information pertinent to the demotion must be forwarded to the Secretary of the Air Force for a grade
determination.

Q: How many points does a service member have and what will be their estimated pay at age 60 or
their Reduced Retired Pay Age Date?

A: We recommend the service member log into myPers - https://mypers.af.mil/, and clicking on Access
the vPC Dashboard. Click on the Action Request tab. Under Retirements menu, click on “Reserve
Retired Pay Calculator”. The retirement points and estimated pay will appear under “Your Current
Information”. Second way is under My Official Military Personnel Record menu and click on “Request a
Mortgage Letter”. The retirement points and estimated pay will appear on the letter.

Q: How does a service member complete the DD Form 2656?

A: Use the detailed instructions on the last 3 pages of the DD Form 2656. If the service member has
additional questions, the service member should contact their servicing FSS/CSS or the Total Force
Service Center at 1-800-525-0102.

Information current as of 21 Jun 2019

Posts: 12678 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
'Easy like a Sunday morning'.

Posts: 1971 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:

Do you have anything productive to assist the OP, or did you just show up to be another lemming?

First you take some harmless ball busting between Services and ramp it up to butt hurt level 11, and then you inexplicably drag politics into this thread about the last election. Only one person here is derailing this thread.

Apologies to the OP, I don't have any advice. Unless you were an Academy grad? Maybe seek help from the Alumni Association.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30407 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Apologies to the OP, I don't have any advice.

Yeah, that pretty much sums it up. Just what I thought. A lemming.

No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Yo BB. You've been around long enough to know this aint cool, you OK?

Posts: 5318 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post