SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    A Tragedy for Guitar Aficionado's
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Tragedy for Guitar Aficionado's Login/Join 
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted
Rudy’s Music in Soho was destroyed by fire.

No link yet but one of my guitar jammers says it’s a total loss worth in the tens of millions

Posts: 53415 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think it was more of water damage than actual fire, at least from the info. given. Supposedly,they're gonna reopen.

Posts: 6956 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
No links online, not a mention on Reddit.
There are some oblique references on youtube videos only.

EDIT: /Update

embedded in an overall story, "the owner of Rudy's Music SoHo was nervous to gain entry to his business on the ground floor.

"The most beautiful guitars, so many guitars, more than 300, 400 guitars," said Rudy Penza, business owner. "I'm waiting to see. Very expensive stuff, very rare stuff, and so I'm very concerned. People say, 'Well, insurance,' but that's not the point, the point is losing beautiful instruments, that's the problem."

Once he went inside, Penza said the back wall of his business looked like a waterfall. He said he lost hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of instruments with one of the damaged guitars worth $500,000 alone."

link

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5652 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
If I had millions of dollars worth of guitars, they'd be stored in a concrete vault with a halon fire suppression system.

I do have customers that keep guitars in safes for the same reason, but on a smaller scale.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15776 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That sucks. Speaking of guitars in safes, I thought of the Nashville flood from several years ago. There was a big storage unit used by practically every pro guitar player in town and it was right next to the river. So, of course it floods and almost every guitar in there was damaged or ruined.
Afterwards, everyone's thinking why on earth was a storage unit right next to a river? If you've got guitars worth thousands of dollars put them in a safe in a safe location.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3577 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
If I had millions of dollars worth of guitars, they'd be stored in a concrete vault with a halon fire suppression system.

I do have customers that keep guitars in safes for the same reason, but on a smaller scale.

With controlled humidity I'm sure.

Posts: 6678 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
There area few guitar stores that all aficionados are familiar with; Rudy’s is one of them. Hoping for the best.

Posts: 13406 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Rudy's is a legend. I hope his insurance is good. And I hope there weren't many collectibles.

There is a store near me that is stacked to the rafters (okay stacked to the drop ceilings) with boxes of fairly high-end guitars, not to mention what is out on display. They just don't carry any middle market instruments. Their inventory must be in the many millions, and it seems like a terrible fire hazard - their storage is so dense.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53150 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Legendary store, and I'm afraid they lost a lot of rare guitars.

quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:

Hers is Rick Nielsen's "vault", looks to be the basement of his house or similar. Hundreds of electric guitars, many of them vintage and rare. He mentions that he has over 160 Gibson electrics alone, later in the video he shows off five original (1958-60) Les Paul Sunbursts, each worth five to six figures. Easily one of the premier collectors of guitars, I'd hate to see a flood or fire destroy these items.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16842 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigspecops:
Afterwards, everyone's thinking why on earth was a storage unit right next to a river? If you've got guitars worth thousands of dollars put them in a safe in a safe location.

Keep it in a cool, dry place. Big Grin

God bless America.

Posts: 13596 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
According to their Facebook page the fire was in the building adjacent to them and they are waiting for clearance on their building before reopening. From the last post on their Facebook page it looks like they are trying to be back open on Wednesday.

Sounds like they'll be fine which is good news.

If you are ever in the LaCrosse, WI area stop into Dave's Guitar. The store is huge and Dave also has his private collection upstairs that you can go through. I've been there several times and purchased quite a few guitars from them.

I've tried wrapping my head around how much money would be lost in vintage and inventory and it makes my head hurt.

Check them out here: https://www.davesguitar.com/

Posts: 2494 | Location: Southern Minnesota | Registered: March 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post