SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    VIDEO: Susana Mendoza confronts man leaving crash scene
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

VIDEO: Susana Mendoza confronts man leaving crash scene Login/Join 
posted
This is the Illinois Comptroller out for a bike ride. I would not mess with her. Citizen policing by a government official! Here is the link:

http://wgntv.com/2017/09/17/vi...leaving-crash-scene/

Posts: 17534 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
Only in Chicago/Crook County, would a guy who worked for the city and stole MILLIONS, went to prison twice, STILL be living on the expensive NW side of Chicago,driving a $50,000+ pick-up around.
I wonder where his income comes from.

Posts: 4700 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here is the account from the Chicago Tribune which explains all.

llinois State Comptroller Susana Mendoza was on a Sunday bike ride with her husband and 4-year-old son when a black pickup truck came barreling through a red light.

A few blocks farther down Austin, at Higgins, the black pickup rear-ended a car, causing a multivehicle crash. Witnesses tried to stop him, but the driver of the black pickup was able to drive away before police arrived.

He might never have been caught if it weren't for Mendoza. She rode up on her bike, saw the damage, helped the other drivers and confronted the man in the pickup. She got in his face. And she took an amazing video, which you can see above.

She didn't then know who he was.

But he's a rather large man who is well-versed in The Chicago Way.

He's a fellow with an infamous reputation, two stretches in prison, a guy who stole millions in quarters from the Illinois Tollway but still had enough clout to get a City Hall job under former Mayor Richard M. Daley — which led to the Hired Truck scandal. He also ran an army of political tough guys called "The Coalition for Better Government."

Column: To coin a phrase, Chicago is hardly a change machine
One of his friends was Chinatown bookie Nick LoCoco, who on a Sunday during football season oddly decided to go on a horseback ride and wound up dead with head injuries. At the time, as if by coincidence, he was under federal investigation in Hired Truck.

The black pickup truck driver is a guy with a colorful nickname:

"Quarters."

Yeah, John "Quarters" Boyle, a guy I've written many columns about.

Mendoza didn't know who was in the black truck. But she bravely stood up to him.

"He plowed through the red light with no compunction," Mendoza told me Friday. "And then a few blocks later on the same street, there was a four-car pileup. He smashed into them. He'd just run the red light and now he's trying to get away."

So Mendoza got off her bike, got out her phone and commenced shooting video of the pickup driver, telling him to stay put. She later gave the video to police and prosecutors. In it you can hear her shout:

Column: Daley turns blind eye for detail to cronies' faults
"Hey! Stay there! Don't leave! He's trying to leave!"

Police are called and one of the accident victims stands in front of the truck. But Boyle starts pulling away. The man in front of the truck tries to hold it back and is almost run over.

Boyle pulls up to a nearby quick mart and goes inside. Menedoza won't quit. She follows him inside and tells patrons that police have been called. The video shows Boyle shuffling around the store, looking like he's about to fall over.

Mendoza: "Be careful with this guy!"

John "Quarters" Boyle: "Wha?"

Mendoza: "I said be careful with YOU. You almost ran that man over. I got you on video."

JQB: "You Wha?"

Mendoza: "I've got you on video. Say cheese!"

JQB: "I'm a policeman."

Mendoza: "You're the police? Great. Wonderful. I don't think you are the police and, if you are, you won't be for long, sir."

Boyle gets back in his truck and drives away. "Here he is leaving the scene," Mendoza, still on the case, says on the video. "Oh my God, he's going to hit someone!"

It's a fascinating video with a bunch of chaotic moments. And one thing is absolutely clear: In chaotic moments, people reveal themselves. And Mendoza showed she is one tough lady. She confronted a certified Chicago tough guy, a two-time ex-con. She warned those nearby, she announced she'd called police, she backed the tough guy down and he finally ran away.

And she made wisecracks along the way, like her soon-to-be-famous "Say cheese!"

That was on July 30, 2017, around 12:30 in the afternoon. Some days later, most likely showered and shaved, perhaps even smelling of after-shave and hair product, John "Quarters" Boyle turned himself in to police.

The Cook County State's Attorney's office charged Boyle with leaving the scene of an accident involving injury, failure to report a crash and operating an uninsured vehicle. Since there were days between the crash and Boyle turning himself in, no breathalyzer was administered.

On Friday, wearing an Operating Engineers Local 150 T-shirt, Boyle appeared in Cook County before Judge Stephanie Saltouros for a status hearing in the Daley Center.

Mendoza was there. I was there too. And when the case was continued to Oct. 20, Boyle walked out.

I stopped him in the hall and he made a face.

"YOU?!!! I'm not going to talk to YOU!!!" Boyle said. "I don't have time to talk to you! I'm not talking to YOU! I'm BUSY!"

Then he ran away. The lawyer handling the continuance for Boyle, Dale Boton, asked me what that was about.

Now I made a face.

But as I think more on it, I get the feeling that Quarters doesn't like me very much.

Mendoza didn't know who he was, but she gave her video to police who later gave her a call.

"An officer sent me a photo and said, 'Is this the guy?' And I said, 'Yes, that's the guy — 100 percent.' They said, 'It's John Boyle,'" Mendoza told me on Friday. "I don't know him, but I know that name because of your columns, 'Quarters' Boyle, and it turns out, yes, that's the guy."

Yeah, that's the guy. That's "Quarters."

"I just don't think it's fair that a guy like this just skates away," Mendoza said.

But it's a good thing that Illinois Comptroller Susana Mendoza stared him down, took that video and said those two magic words to him:

"Say cheese!"

Listen to "The Chicago Way" podcast — with John Ka

Posts: 17534 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
The man is known to the police, video of his face and his vehicle, I'm sure of his plate number, and the report is called in and witnessed by the Comptroller of the state of IL., and days pass before he turns himself in?
If it were you or I the police would be at our door in minutes!
They probably would have arrested us at the convenience store/gas station. The police Dist HQ is only a few blocks away.

Posts: 4700 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Essayons
Picture of SapperSteel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by armored:
The man is known to the police, video of his face and his vehicle, I'm sure of his plate number, and the report is called in and witnessed by the Comptroller of the state of IL., and days pass before he turns himself in?
They probably would have arrested us at the convenience store/gas station. The police Dist HQ is only a few blocks away.

Well, yeah. It's Cooke County, Illinois.

It's not news that Chicago is corrupt. Nor is it news that the state government is corrupt.

Gutsy woman, though. I applaud her!

Thanks,

Sap

Posts: 3452 | Location: Arimo, Idaho | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Compared to the stuff he's gotten away with, a red light, a crash, and fleeing-the-scene doesn't sound like much.

Props to Mendoza, but is hit-and-run really what's going to put this guy away for good?

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
A couple minutes of research discloses that Boyle was connected to the "Coalition for Better Government." It's hard to get it from the stories, but it's apparently the fund raising arm the the Chicago Democrat Political Machine and Boyle was linked to the infamous Rod Blagojevich.

Posts: 13600 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Former Chicago Mayor Richard Daley was a buddy too. It is called THE CHICAGO WAY. The Democratic machine goes way back.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Well, yeah. It's Cooke County, Illinois.

Actually CROOK county.

JOIN, or DIE
posted Hide Post
quote:

That says a lot honestly and that gas station/dunkin donuts was only a few blocks away from where I used to live. Guy gets in an accident, almost runs someone over, cops are called, and..............he's got time to stop at the old convenience store before making his getaway. Hit and run, almost runs someone over, 911 call and the cops dont get there. 16 has big issues with manpower and being a gigantic district with basically nobody working.

Also didnt see any part of the story of him also being charged with saying he was a cop. I would have thought he had that one coming too.

Posts: 3575 | Registered: February 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EmpireState:
quote:

That says a lot honestly and that gas station/dunkin donuts was only a few blocks away from where I used to live. Guy gets in an accident, almost runs someone over, cops are called, and..............he's got time to stop at the old convenience store before making his getaway. Hit and run, almost runs someone over, 911 call and the cops dont get there. 16 has big issues with manpower and being a gigantic district with basically nobody working.

Also didnt see any part of the story of him also being charged with saying he was a cop. I would have thought he had that one coming too.

Empire, 016 used to have 400 Police Officers assigned to it. It now has less than 200 because of Rahms doing more with less idea. Combine that with the fact that 016 is larger than most suburbs and they are averaging 15-20K calls for sevice monthly, one can see why it took the Police some time to get there. As far as charging him with impersonating a Police Officer, while that charge can be added at a later date, it's not going anywhere. Go look at these Department of Revenue agents, dog catcher, City Clerk employees. They all dress and wear stars like the Police. If one didn't know better one would think that they are the Police. As far as Susan Mendoza goes, let's not forget that she was the City Clerk that wanted to put the Wheel Tax sticker that was designed by a gangster (Herbie) on all privately owned cars that are in Chicago. She tried to play the race card when her little attempt at making a gangster legit ran afoul of the coppers that have dealt with him and was made public. The same gangster that has been arrested numerous times since for things like PSMV,UUW etc. She went to bat for him. Remember that one? So while what she did here was positive, let's not forget that she is part of the problem here in Illinois/Chicago/Crook County. Don't be fooled by a wolf in sheeps clothing.

Posts: 5795 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
JOIN, or DIE
posted Hide Post
Oh I figured she was garbage in general but had no idea she was involved with that Herbie 6 point/pitchfork gang sticker thing. That was complete crap. Youre definitely right about 16, I wasnt sure on the numbers but had noticed that I had gone a long time without seeing any police around. Also, I had made 3 calls for a drunk neighbor zooming up and down the street swerving and trying to run kids over and nobody came until 10 minutes after the 3rd call.

Its a shame because for a long time 16 was always the lowest crime district or one of them and then manpower got taken away from the good people of the city and sent to the ghetto. I think the local alderman was trying to get a project/section 8 built across from 16 on milwaukee over there. In all honesty its still a pretty solid area but its not like it was 20 years ago. As the criminal element keeps moving north. First it was north, then fullerton, then diversey, then belmont, etc.

Posts: 3575 | Registered: February 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You are right Tom, first it was North Ave, then Fullerton,then Diversey, then Belmont. The line keeps moving. Now I wouldn't even think of buying anything south of the Kennedy Expressway unless it was in Yupville. As far as that housing project and Alderman Arena, he wants to build a, IIRC on the height, a 4 story low income building when the City code only allows a 3 story building. A CPD Lieutenant is leading the charge to block construction of that building. Of course the Alderman and his wife now label anyone opposed to the constuction as a racist. He's even working with the SPLC in his efforts to discredit the Lieutenant and anyone who agrees with him. You got out at the right time. The City is imploding and that implosion is being nurtured by the politicians in control.

Posts: 5795 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post