SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Quitters never win, so...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Quitters never win, so... Login/Join 
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikito:
What about those who quit the political fight and move to a more friendly state? Thoughts?
Football games have equal amounts of players on both sides, and are grouped with similarly-sized schools. So, you've got a fighting chance on just base odds.

Politics in some places has such overwhelming disparity between "team" sizes that the election "game" is effectively over before it started.

Posts: 5756 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I’ve coached football for several years now though not at the high school level. I’m only up to middle school.

The only thing I thought while reading the article was that the coach might be concerned about injuries as a lot of kids would have to play both sides of the ball.

We did it in youth a lot but even then a team with only 13 was considered outmatched and the biggest team I coached was around 21. And we played 10 minute quarters and both teams would be close to the same size roster so when our kids were tired so were theirs. High school ball is 20 minutes longer and a lot more intense than 5th grade ball. We do have a few 6th graders that play both but they aren’t starters on one of the sides. We might stick some big guys off our Oline into the Dline in short yardage situations or toss a corner in as a receiver from time to time.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15255 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Opus Dei:
quote:
Originally posted by Mikito:
What about those who quit the political fight and move to a more friendly state? Thoughts?
Football games have equal amounts of players on both sides, and are grouped with similarly-sized schools. So, you've got a fighting chance on just base odds.

Politics in some places has such overwhelming disparity between "team" sizes that the election "game" is effectively over before it started.

You only have an equal amount of kids on the field. But if one side has 50 on the sideline and the other only has 2 that’s a pretty big disparity and that disparity matters.

ETA I just looked it up and the team they were going to play next has 28 kids on their roster. 28 is enough to have 11 starters on each side plus some in reserve plus some that probably only play special teams which allows your starters on O and D even more rest.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15255 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cycler:
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
Good thing Churchill didn’t think like this.

Churchill (and England) had no choice as quitting/failure would have had unspeakable consequences.

Those high school kids are certainly not up against the wall the way he was.

Posts: 1571 | Location: SW PA | Registered: November 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My alma mater was the school that beat them 61-0 the second game. When I played 19 years ago we had 21 guys on the team. I played every down of every series on both sides and special teams for all 10 games. It’s a shame they quit.

The combination of a shrinking youth base due to the changing demographic of Healdsburg (high end tourist destination with extremely high real estate prices and cost of living) and the opening of Windsor high school a few miles down the road, has put a big dent in the number of players who are available or willing.

Posts: 311 | Location: California | Registered: September 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4ftty4:
My alma mater was the school that beat them 61-0 the second game. When I played 19 years ago we had 21 guys on the team. I played every down of every series on both sides and special teams for all 10 games. It’s a shame they quit.

You did but did were all 11 starters on the team starters on both sides? Did all 11 play every single down all season long?

You were a super stud. Cool. But I bet not all the kids on the team were. If I was a coach and looked at the team and knew I didn't have 11 studs like you must have been then you know, you gotta take that into consideration. I am sure every team has a couple kids that could play every down but not many have 11 that could, especially when pulling from only 13.

Look I hate quitters. If the only reason the coach and kids quit was because they didn't want to lose then I think it was a shitty decision. A few months back there was a article about a baseball team who beat another team by like 60 runs. I said that if I was on the winning team I would never tell my kids to play half ass or stop trying I was clearly in the minority. Most people felt the coach should have told his players to quit. I stood by my statements and said I would never quit. But that was about pride, this could be about more.

I am not denying that kids like you exist but I doubt 11 of the 13 were like you. I am just adding some insight that maybe it isn't just about not wanting to lose and more about being worried about injury. Shit if a kid gets sick and another gets hurt you have zero backups. I am not going to fault a guy for worrying about physical injury to his players.

Also just to add, I played football 20 years ago too and the kids today are not the same as the kids I played against. If I was 16 today I think I'd have a hard time making a team. These boys out here are huge compared to me and the kids I played against. The game is faster and harder than it was 20 years ago. At least around here it is.

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LoungeChair:
quote:

He might have if he had an army of only 18 kids.

He did think like this from 1940-1944.

Posts: 10950 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
quote:
quote:

Are you claiming that Churchill/Britain "quit" WW2 from 1940-1944? Confused If so, I highly suggest that you further educate yourself.

WW2 was far more than just "Nazis invaded Europe... nothing happened for four years... then D-Day."

Britain's military was heavily engaged with the Axis in Africa, the Balkans, the Middle East, India, Southeast Asia, the Pacific Ocean, the islands of the South Pacific, the Mediterranean Sea, Italy, the Atlantic Ocean, the Indian Ocean, and the Air from 1940-1944. Not to mention all their espionage, intelligence, and commando activity.

Posts: 32512 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
My Alma Mater Parkview Patriots, canceled it's football program too this year. We also only had 18 players. We were winless last season. This same squad has been to state championship many times and produced a number of very good college stars and a few NFL players, including a number one pick.

It's all about demographics, living in Central America 2.0 Sterling is not quite the same as it was 20 years ago. Yet another reason I want that wall built and those here illegally to get the boot. They ruined my damn football team. I am guessing our Fútbol team kicks ass though, so I guess there's that to be proud of.

I'll just leave this chart here and it will explain everything.

Let's go Patriots!

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20824 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Are you claiming that Churchill/Britain "quit" WW2 from 1940-1944? Confused If so, I highly suggest that you further educate yourself.

WW2 was far more than just "Nazis invaded Europe... nothing happened for four years... then D-Day."

Britain's military was heavily engaged with the Axis in Africa, the Balkans, the Middle East, India, Southeast Asia, the Pacific Ocean, the islands of the South Pacific, the Mediterranean Sea, Italy, the Atlantic Ocean, the Indian Ocean, and the Air from 1940-1944. Not to mention all their espionage, intelligence, and commando activity.

Trying to draw lines between Churchill and the British during WWII and a high school football team. Let's be fair here. The team was too small to begin with and got crushed in their first two games. Rather than face certain defeat and injury, they stopped playing.

What did the BEFs in Dunkirk and Norway do in 1940? The retreated. In Dunkirk, the French held the lines while the British retreated and 35,000 French soldiers were captured.

I'm not calling the British quitters, neither am I calling the football team quitters. Had the British not retreated, that would likely have been the end of the war for Britain. What would be the result if the football team had continued? How many injuries with 13 players left would it take to end football at that school for a very long time?

Who would the team's America and Soviet Union be? Without America, the British had no chance of
opening a successful second front in 1944. 1940 proved that.

Posts: 10950 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:
After losing its first game 41-0 and then being shut out 61-0 in its second game, two players quit.

There's a lot to be said for quitting while you're behind and picking your battles.

quote:

Are we seriously comparing WWII, to high school football?

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10927 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:
After losing its first game 41-0 and then being shut out 61-0 in its second game, two players quit.

There's a lot to be said for quitting while you're behind and picking your battles.

quote:

Are we seriously comparing WWII, to high school football?

I’m not. Are you?

Churchill was active in public life from Queen Victoria to Queen Elizabeth II, in Parliament for almost all of those years, was in the Cabinet of many Prime Ministers and was PM himself for a considerable time after the war. He was a soldier and writer.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
So why were there only 18 varsity players to start with then the JV squad has 30 players? This makes no sense to me. Why wouldn't you fill out the Varsity with your top 25 to 30 players. Then put the rest in the JV squad. Seems ass backwards.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Who would the team's America and Soviet Union be? Without America, the British had no chance of
opening a successful second front in 1944.

Third front. The British were already fighting the Germans/Italians from 1940-43 in Africa and the Middle East, and later in Italy from 1943-1945 after driving the Axis from Africa and the Middle East.

The British may have retreated from France in 1940, but they didn't retreat from the war as a whole. They made the strategic decision to retreat from Western Europe, where they had no chance left to win, in order to continue to fight everywhere else around the world on the land/sea/air and eventually return to Western Europe at a later date.

Very different from quitting altogether. So your analogy still doesn't hold water. If you want to stick to this analogy, the British retreating from France would be like a football team forfeiting (or perhaps requesting to "mercy rule") a game against a top-seeded opponent that was already 100-0, in order to preserve their strength to continue to play for the remainder of the season.

This team's decision would be more akin to the Danes, whose military was completely overwhelmed at it's initial few engagements, quickly realized it's position was untenable, and capitulated for the rest of the war.

But I think we've tortured this football-as-WW2 analogy a bit too much already. Wink

Posts: 32512 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There could be a variety of problems.

The talent level at any school goes up and down.

Small schools usually just play other small schools, so it is not like other schools have anymore kids to choose their players from.

However in todays day and age some schools, even small schools can "recruit" so to speak better players. So sometimes one small school can be better even a lot better than others.

Then there is another factor. We had a very good coach come into our local small school. We previously has low numbers and the beatings were weekly and horrendous.

He went into the school halls and personally asked every male student in the high school to come out for football. He promised they would not get cut if they followed the rules and would definitely play some each game.
Then when he started getting the numbers, he followed through with his promises.
After a few years we were winning most games in one of the BEST SMALL school leagues in the state.
Soon all but 6 boys in the high school were on the football teams. We actually won something like 48 games in a row including state championships.

Later that coach moved on and a new coach came in and he played less and less guys. He played guys both ways, even when they were banged up or tired.
Soon, many kids quit going out. All practice, no game time.
Now, we lose a lot and very few kids go out. No enthusiasm around the town about the upcoming team. One kid gets hurt and you lose 2 starters because he goes both ways. Then the coach cries to the press well we lost a huge part of our team with injuries....blah blah blah.
He created what he has and where his team is at.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post