SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone ever use Mahovsky's Refinishing?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone ever use Mahovsky's Refinishing? Login/Join 
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted
Specifically for bright nickle. This would be for a S&W Model 19, I'm told that S&W is backlogged and not taking new orders at this time.

Posts: 12181 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
No, but they've been in business for nearly 50 years. They must be doing something right.

Posts: 107611 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
They did a hard chrome (not bumper chrome) job on a S&W revolver for me. They did a good job but they refinished the hammer and trigger, which I asked them specifically not to do. So, if there’s any parts you’d rather not have refinished I’d say it might be best to not send them.

Posts: 26910 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
No, but they've been in business for nearly 50 years. They must be doing something right.

That's a very good point, I hadn't thought of that.

Posts: 12181 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
They did a hard chrome (not bumper chrome) job on a S&W revolver for me. They did a good job but they refinished the hammer and trigger, which I asked them specifically not to do. So, if there’s any parts you’d rather not have refinished I’d say it might be best to not send them.

How did the stamped roll marks look? Were the edges still square and not rounded off? I'll have to look again, I think he says that you can mark the parts that you don't want refinished with tape and that he doesn't refinish springs. Or perhaps it could be taken apart and then send the sections of the revolver to be refinished to him.

"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I've come close to sending them stuff a few times in recent years, their website is just.... errr... frustratingly odd and outdated in so many ways that is makes simple things complicated.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Originally posted by clubleaf206:

“How did the stamped roll marks look? Were the edges still square and not rounded off? I'll have to look again, I think he says that you can mark the parts that you don't want refinished with tape and that he doesn't refinish springs. Or perhaps it could be taken apart and then send the sections of the revolver to be refinished to him.”

The revolver they refinished for me was lightly bead blasted to a matte finish so it’s not really like there was an opportunity for them to over-polish and blur the markings.

I’ve had reblued and renickeled guns over-polished by various refinishers (none by Mahovsky) and have decided not to have any more guns redone in a high polish since I’m always disappointed with the results.

And CAS’s point is well taken. Their website is antiquated, but when they did the work for me their price was substantially lower than their competitors.

Posts: 26910 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
I will say that, taken with a grain of salt, in looking at the photos of customer's firearms the roll marks look to be very sharp and there doesn't appear to be any rounding of edges.

I'm of the opinion that his website looks the way it does because he spends his efforts on actual work and not on making his website look more modern.

And, as for price, he charges $90 less than what S&W would. And that includes removing the original nickle.

Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
My 870’s finish is shot. Been wanting to get it redone in electroless nickel.
Price seems very good with good turn around times.
May have to give them a try.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25426 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
I've used them many years , dating back to the early 90's with very good results in their platings.
I've also used them when having nickel/flaking finishes removed.
Very good electroless nickel and hard chrome plating. It's who I have to hard chrome barrels.
I've always sent guns in disassembled for work, with no problems until the last electroless nickel plating, a Yugo M57. When the parts came back, and I started reassembling it, there were 3 small (pins) missing. I contacted Mahovsky's, he found 2 of them, I had to order the blued part which didn't match the gun .

Mr. Mahovsky told me this is why he had rather have a complete pistol, rather than parts. But still, could be a concern with losing a part on a collector grade pistol.

But overall, quite good work and service.
His hard chrome plating of aluminum frames and parts is excellent.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post