SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tracking attendance at the office
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tracking attendance at the office Login/Join 
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
Knowing they are logging in tells you nothing, there are devices that will keep the mouse moving to make it look like the person is logged in.

If an employer has employees working from home that they cannot trust to do the job, then get rid of them. If they are getting the work done, then why does it matter when they are logged in?
It might be an incentive if they are free after getting all assigned work done. Some people will get it done just to have free time.

Posts: 4217 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
I can attest to the friend badging a friend thing in. Never occurred to me to try it but I knew 2 coworkers that did it regularly. This was back in 2000..
As for the devices that make a mouse look like it’s being used, that’s fucking beyond. I can’t believe people are that lazy.
Clock in on the old wall model. If your boss is building a case, so be it. It’ll put the problem people on notice, and then they can decide to toe the line or not.
If they’re going to be bitter little bitches about it, do you really want them there at all?

I swear, I dislike people more and more. No one wants to sincere, kind, honest, and just put in a solid day’s work.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5490 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
quote:
These are all professionals with delicate egos

I would argue that TRUE professionals would not be doing anything to jeopardize their jobs,

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4221 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Only 14 employees with 4 of them managers, that should be easy to determine who is in the office.

Posts: 1130 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gjgalligan:
What is wrong with requiring a casual head count report by the daily supervisor?
After all they have to be in the office also.

This is what I was going to say. How hard is it for 4 ppl to track 10? Roll Eyes

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6895 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
There was a company in Phoenix years ago that was super strict about employees being on time. There was no work from home here, but their punctuality policy was so strict that, when they got card access and kept track of arrival and departure times that way, everyone came in early, just to be safe. Wouldn't you know it, when one guy got fired, he filed a complaint with the state, who then got interested in unpaid overtime, due to everyone coming in early out of fear. It ended up costing the company a ton of money.

Posts: 3666 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glad I just punched an ordinary clock.

Posts: 134 | Registered: December 11, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shaql:
quote:
Originally posted by gjgalligan:
What is wrong with requiring a casual head count report by the daily supervisor?
After all they have to be in the office also.

This is what I was going to say. How hard is it for 4 ppl to track 10? Roll Eyes

We only have 15 employees and I can tell who's here just by looking at the parking lot.

Posts: 748 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: May 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
This isn’t a tough problem. Do more than one thing. Badging is one and chip the laptops.

Both of those data will tell you what you want to know.

If you have more badges than laptops on any give day the answer is simple. You fire two people. The owner of the missing laptop and the one who barged him in.

Attendance tracking wont be an issue after that.

Posts: 53750 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rawny
posted Hide Post
Our office does not use badges to access the door, and I don't think we want to spend the money on one. We have less than 20 employees after all.

As for 4 managers to track 10 underlings, that of course is very easy. The VP didn't want that because she knew each managers will protect their own group and cover for them. That's why she came to trusty old Rawny, who is in-person everyday with no direct reports to find out who's in or out.

I can easily log their comings and goings manually, but the offenders can always argue human errors or intentional omissions. Showing them a log of when their laptops ping at the office takes away that excuse.

The VP isn't really interested in knowing if they are working, she just wants to make sure they are coming to the office three days a week. Seems myopic to me, since attendance is no indication of a productive worker these day.

Posts: 2700 | Location: San Hozay, KA | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
I've been in sales for so long that I forget about this stuff being sort of normal. IMHO, if everyone there has goals and is meeting them, it shouldn't matter where they are or even if they're doing work at a specific time, other than when they need to be in/on scheduled meetings. I am 110% proactive until I hit my goal for the week. After that I still work, but am reactive. I can hit my goal by lunch on Monday and sometimes not until dinner on Thurs. But the revenue is really all that matters, not how much effort or time it took to get it.

Posts: 3666 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sgalczyn:
Chip the workers.
This, plus fingerprint readers and retina scans. Maybe voice recognition, too.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31341 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post