SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Baseball-Size Hail vs. Solar Farm
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Baseball-Size Hail vs. Solar Farm Login/Join 
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted
This happened in Scottsbluff, Nebraska just a couple of days ago. A meterologist in Cheyenne said that the hailstones at terminal velocity could be approaching 150 mph. Solar is down for awhile, maybe forever.

Posts: 13386 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
https://cowboystatedaily.com/2...ttsbluff-solar-farm/

quote:
Baseball-sized hail took out a solar farm in Scottsbluff, Nebraska, on Friday.

The hail shattered most of the panels on the 5.2-megawatt solar project, sparing an odd panel like missing teeth in a white smile.

Wyoming has only one commercial-scale solar farm, but a second project is under construction south of Cheyenne.

The Federal Emergency Management Agency ranks this area in its the highest category for hail risk on the national index.

Don Day, Cowboy State Daily meteorologist, said the hail would have reached terminal velocity during its descent, which is the maximum speed an object will reach when falling. The hail would have likely struck the panels going 100 to 150 mph.

Looks Destroyed

The entire region has experienced strong storms the past week, which included tornadoes, hail, heavy rains and wind.

A tornado destroyed at least one home in Scottsbluff. Much of the damage to the area was from high winds and hail, which brought down power lines, damaged trees and shattered windshields.

Kevin Spencer, Scottsbluff city manager, told Cowboy State Daily the Nebraska Public Power District, which owns the solar farm, is still assessing the damage, but it’s going to need some repairs.

“Just by looking at it, it looks destroyed to me,” Spencer said.

Spencer said there’s more to a solar farm than just the panels, and so some of the equipment at the farm might have survived the storm. He said he was previously told the panels were hail proof, but that might have meant hail up to a certain size.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6251 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
From what I've read, a lot of those solar facilities are on leased land (e.g. 20+ year lease), and a lot of these solar companies are forming a LLC for each solar facility.

Hope the landowner made the leasee (i.e. solar company) put money in escrow for dismantle, remove, and remediate. Otherwise, the LLC is likely to declare bankruptcy and leave that shattered mess.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23422 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
They should have used acrylic.

Acrylic, acrylic, acrylic.

Posts: 3458 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
Too bad they don't have the means to move them temporarily into a vertical position in cases like this.

Posts: 9104 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Transparent Aluminum.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7141 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Speling Champ
posted Hide Post
Why in the hell would you build a solar farm in Nebraska in the first place? I hear Arizona is very sunny and hardly ever gets hail.

Posts: 1611 | Location: Utah | Registered: July 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OcCurt:
Why in the hell would you build a solar farm in Nebraska in the first place? I hear Arizona is very sunny and hardly ever gets hail.

It's how local politicians say "See? I'm green too!" I imagine they probably have one or two in Arizona. There's a big one a few miles up the highway from my new home here too. We've had a few thunderstorms, but no hail (`course, I've only been here a few months so far...)

Posts: 7307 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Someone(s) will definitely be seeing green, a different type of green.

I point at things like this and ask people "You really think it's smart to have ALL electric production based on this technology do you?". There is a reason our current power generating plants are not weather dependent.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38053 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Federal Emergency Management Agency ranks this area in its the highest category for hail risk on the national index.

And yet, lets build one in Nebraska.....

quote:
Originally posted by Expert308:
quote:

It's how local politicians say "See? I'm green too!" I imagine they probably have one or two in Arizona. There's a big one a few miles up the highway from my new home here too. We've had a few thunderstorms, but no hail (`course, I've only been here a few months so far...)

Federal funds - build it and you get money, to pay local contractors (supposedly) create jobs, create green energy, look good in the papers....

Posts: 23740 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by honestlou:

LoL

Good one. Pretty transparent joke though.

0:01

Posts: 4233 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stoic-one:
The hail shattered most of the panels on the 5.2-megawatt…
GREAT SCOTT!!

quote:
Originally posted by x0225095:
quote:
Originally posted by honestlou:

LoL

Good one. Pretty transparent joke though.

Big Grin Big Grin

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Just one more downfall of "green" energy.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38857 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
Anyone know how old the istallation is? My understanding is the more modern ones are quite hardy compared to the old style panels. Much more resistant to hail strikes.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8877 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
It's amazing to see that some panels suffered no hits, right between others that were pummeled

Posts: 23740 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by myrottiety:
Anyone know how old the istallation is? My understanding is the more modern ones are quite hardy compared to the old style panels. Much more resistant to hail strikes.

I don’t know the age of it, but it seems to me that baseball-size hail might be pretty tough on even “space-age plastics.”

Posts: 13386 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
Transparent Aluminum.

Great idea. We just need to ask Scotty for the formula.

Posts: 32654 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That'll buff right out with a headlight lense restoration kit.

Posts: 10057 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Expert308:
quote:

They're long-term leasing prime farmland along existing powerlines all over the country. Even places like Upstate NY which has long winters (i.e. not a lot of sun).

How local politicians say "See? I'm green too!" is with grants, ridiculous tax breaks, publicly subsidized low interest loans, etc. to these solar companies.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23422 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post