SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Copper wire question. XLPE vs. XHHW
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Copper wire question. XLPE vs. XHHW Login/Join 
posted
I want to expand the invisible pet fence in the backyard. I contacted the company to inquire what type of wire they used. I was told the wire is 14g stranded copper with a 44 XLPE jacket.

In my interwebz search I cannot really find anything for XLPE jacket. I did find wire listed as XHHW and it seems to be similar.

This wire would be spliced to the the existing wire and buried about 6" underground. I would told there is no electricity and it only transmit a radio signal.

Is this the type of wire im looking for? https://www.homedepot.com/p/So...e-37092471/205810726

Posts: 5466 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I don't know man I
just got here myself
Picture of mrw
posted Hide Post
quote:
44 XLPE

You can buy the XLPE wire here. This wire is rated for burial, the home depot wire is not.

mrw

Hand Made Custom Knives
www.sandownforge.com

Posts: 1750 | Location: Gulf Coast Florida | Registered: June 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is usually called RHH-RHW-2/USE-2 cross link poly. The jacket is rated for direct burial. The 44 appears to insulation thickness i.e. .044 in.
What mrw referenced appears to be correct.

A local electrical supply house may have or be able to order this for you if you buy in standard package quantity usually a 500 ft. roll.

May be a good idea to use a moisture resistant splice.

Posts: 1224 | Location: Moved to N.W. MT. | Registered: April 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post