SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Excruciatingly LONG flight coming up, suggestions from the more seasoned travelers?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Excruciatingly LONG flight coming up, suggestions from the more seasoned travelers? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by armored:
A few years back I took my family(5) and my new Daughter in Law to Thailand as a wedding gift for my Son.
Non-stop Chicago to Dubai on a Emirates 777 with a 1 1/2hr layover, then another 6hr to Bangkok on a A380. We all flew coach. It was HORRIBLE!
If I did it again I would break up the flight with at least 1 overnight stay. I would try and get a seat with a bulk head in front of me for more leg room and easier in-out from seat.

Eek Yeah, mixing-in a stop somewhere over Europe would've been best.

Doing a 10+ hr flight from SFO to Frankfurt in a A380 back in steerage was ok, getting an aisle seat was important. It wasn't horrible but, I could only imagine the...chaos & irritation if I was stuck in the same seat and everyone is going to Mecca or, Delhi.

Posts: 15084 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
It's been mentioned before, but GOOD noise cancelling headphones are a must. The drone of a commercial jet isn't really loud, but drives me insane after a few hours.

I always download several books and movies to my iPad. That way if the in flight entertainment is weak I have options. Since I download them before I go I don't have to rely on wi-fi. I've never been able to sleep on a plane.

On a long flight I always try to get the aisle seat so I don't have to disturb anyone to go to the bathroom.

Usually long flights are pretty good about providing drinks and snacks, but grab some bottled water at the airport and some granola bars or something to snack on just in case. If you don't need them on the plane, you'll need them on the way to the hotel.

I always keep one change of clothes in my carry on just in case, but that's my paranoia at work.

Posts: 2659 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
As mentioned, the seat is a biggie. I’m not one to shell out big $$ for a better seat though. It’s mild torture wedged in a middle coach seat, with me sleeping is like trying to sleep on a hard kitchen table chair.

Time of day departure kinda matters, are you already tired? I’d rather start at noon or earlier, verses midnight. If awake, movies on your own iPad makes time go by.

With a coach seat, I’d skip drinking alcohol, free or not. That includes the airport too. I’d drink water, move around once in a while. There will be a few within eyesight for ‘people watching’ entertainment.

Posts: 6423 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Get some versed or propofol Smile

MDS

Posts: 394 | Registered: November 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
When I went to Japan last year, one of the legs was 11 hours on a Delta Airbus A350. I paid $35.00 extra to get a bulkhead seat at the front of economy class. I had room to stretch my legs and could easily get up and use the lavatory. Plus, the two seats next to me were vacant.

Posts: 3248 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How to upgrade to first class without spending a ton of money

Christina Ly and Ben Smithson
June 19, 2024

For many travelers, flying in a first-class seat may seem like an unachievable dream reserved for the ultra-wealthy or business travelers who spare no expense. But in reality, there are many other ways to score a seat at the front of the plane without paying an exorbitant amount.

In many cases, there are even ways to upgrade to first class (or business class) without having elite status in an airline's frequent flyer program or paying the full cash or award retail price.

Admittedly, in these days of high travel demand, it's hard to guarantee a first-class seat without directly paying for it. However, with some luck, tips and strategy, there are options out there...

Complete article:

https://thepointsguy.com/guide...rade-to-first-class/

Posts: 16019 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
How to upgrade to first class without spending a ton of money

Having dated a few flight attendants, I can say with certainty that if you're dressed like a soup-sandwich, the offer isn't even going to be made.
Flying non-revenue the dress code talk reminder would come up, don't look like a slob! NO jeans, no sneakers, etc

Posts: 15084 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Consider compression socks, pretty much no matter your cardiac condition. That is a long time sitting, and they just like regular socks these days, not mee-maws compression stockings.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12708 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Career in Global Pharma Marketing and spent 70% of my worklife outside US. On long flights:
1. Take Tylenol or Advil PM, it will make you drossy (if you want to sleep - I'm not an MD - check with yours)and it will help relieve the aches from sitting so long
2. Noise cancelling headphones (and spare batteries if equipped)
3. Neck pillow and blanket (most planes don't have blankets unless your in business or 1st class)
4. Reading material (or laptop/iPad with downloaded movies) (airline supplied entertainment can't be counted on) and charging cables
5. Power bars or other snacks

Posts: 145 | Location: Chapel Hill, NC | Registered: June 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post