SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Briggs & Stratton Air Filter on Craftsman Mower (looking for washable replacement)?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Briggs & Stratton Air Filter on Craftsman Mower (looking for washable replacement)? Login/Join 
Picture of Hobbs
posted
Craftsman mower uses a Briggs & Stratton 491588S Flat Air Filter Cartridge. It's a paper filter, clogs easily and replaced often.

I'd like to find a replacement filter that is washable OR find some washable media that I can cobble a washable filter from.

Suggestions? ... Thanks !!!

Briggs & Stratton 491588S Flat Air Filter Cartridge

Posts: 4697 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
As much dirt and debris that is kicked up by a lawnmower, if you do find a washable and reusable filter you are going to shorten the life of that mower. It’s best to just take the filter out after mowing and pick the chunks off and reinstall.

My mower uses a style similar to that one and I get a full season out of the filter by banging it against something and then picking out what’s left.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3963 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
My mower uses a style similar to that one and I get a full season out of the filter by banging it against something and then picking out what’s left.

Agreed. My Honda mower uses similar. And parts of my property are dry, and lots of dust and mulched leaf particles get kicked up. All I do is pull that filter out after every mow and smack the stuff out of it, then blow it off with my air compressor. I get a full season out of each filter.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of John Steed
posted Hide Post
How hard is it to just change the filter?
How much does a new one cost?
Most places have generic replacements that are cheaper than OEM.
(just asking)

... stirred anti-clockwise.

Posts: 2078 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John Steed:
How hard is it to just change the filter?
How much does a new one cost?
Most places have generic replacements that are cheaper than OEM.
(just asking)

^^^^ why bother with an ineffective washable?

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
Amazon has a five pack for under $10...

https://www.amazon.com/HEYZLAS...693&s=gateway&sr=8-3

Or a 10 pack for $4 more...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074...e9-9f39-25571fcafcbf

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10584 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys !!! Smile
The mower for which I was asking about washable filter alternatives is a 13 year old Craftsman 22" push mower set up for mulching. Here in Lower Alabama, I use it virtually year round. Can't kill it. The deck is rusting through in a couple of spots and the wheels will literally fall off before the thing dies. Doesn't use a drop of oil and starts on first pull (with a clean filter). I run nothing but non-ethanol in it.

At those linked filter prices, I should get 40 ... or 100 filters !!! Since there isn't one (1) reliable washable filter available (and apparently for good reason).

When this thing one day finally spits the bit if it doesn't out live me, pretty sure I'll get one of those 80V Kobalt cordless mowers. The newest model. From reviews, those things keep getting better AND ... don't require a filter.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Yeah those filters are so cheap (aftermarket) that you just buy a stack of them and change em out every year. There is an identical Honda filter, which obviously, is a bit more expensive, but I have always bought the aftermarket filters and used them in the Honda/Briggs that used the same style filter.

And realistically, you can bang out the crud and reuse them year after year until it gets too dirty.

Ten of them for $12.84 shipped.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/10-x-...2:g:HjwAAOSwQKlbHd8c

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
... and so just like that, air filter problem solved. Been thinking about it for a couple of years and even talked about it, so pulled the trigger this afternoon. No more gas, oil, air filters or spark plugs to worry about. Bonus: Lighter and much quieter. Now cost ... even with Lowe's military discount, it cost 3 times what I paid for the Craftsman when new 13 years ago. Will it last as long as a Craftsman? ... TBD

Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
Try K&N. Seriously.

I have one on my Briggs lawn mower engine.

You might be surprised by what they have.

Posts: 4076 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
The electric will cost 3 times as much and last 1/3 as long.

You want a mower that will last 35 years, you buy a Toro Super Recycler from a Toro dealer.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
The electric will cost 3 times as much and last 1/3 as long.

You want a mower that will last 35 years, you buy a Toro Super Recycler from a Toro dealer.

In 35 years, I'll be 101 years old. Think between the Craftsman, that Cub Cadet and this Kobalt, I'm covered. But yep somewhere along the line, could have gotten the best. I still have a "love affair" with that old Craftsman. Wish it had better (aluminum) deck and wheels. The old Briggs still runs good as new. That Kobalt is something else though. No way it needs a self propel feature. Not for me anyway. It's light like pushing a vacuum cleaner around, super quiet (comparatively) and starts "right now" with the push of a button every time. Should be virtually no maintenance, simple convenience while it lasts. No dealer required.

EDIT: Just for grins and giggles, from a few years ago, the old Snapper I had before the Cub Cadet. Old L-Head Briggs was still going along pretty good when I gave the thing away after 25 years. Just got tired of all the maintenance and adjustments. But if the Snapper could run over it (and when adjusted, it could climb), it'd cut it.

posted Hide Post
Until you have to buy new batteries for it! Big Grin

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
Until you have to buy new batteries for it! Big Grin

How long do you think that will be? Any experience? I have no idea but thinking I'll get 5 seasons (easy) or so out of a battery ... with no gas, oil, filters or plugs along the way. I mean, how often do you replace batteries in your vehicles ya know? Prolly when you need to I guess.

EDIT: On second thought, I have a 16 year old Jeep (only vehicle I have and with only 52K low miles) I bought new and have replaced the battery once (1) ... now running an Optima. Don't think I'll get near that out of this "little" 80V lithium mower battery LOL. Apples and oranges anyway.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Hobbs,