SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How to clean glass cooktop, can't get stuff off
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to clean glass cooktop, can't get stuff off Login/Join 
Picture of wrightd
posted
I bought a new glass top range, it's not an induction type, just regular hot coils under a glass type surface.

Some spilled food has gotten onto the surface, and some unnamed cooks have used the dirty surface for regular pan frying and general cooking with regular cooking pans, and somehow the contamination has been "cooked into" the glass top. I THINK it more or less started with boilovers stewing soups and pastas and stuff like that.

Is there an known way to clean this mess off, before it becomes a permanent feature ?

I have all sorts of nasty chemicals I use in the garage and on cars like acetone and worse, acid cleaners, alkaline cleaners etc. but I can't experiment, so i need to know what works for this specific problem.

How you guys successfully fixed this problem yourself ? I would imagine this is not an uncommon problem.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8931 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gloom, despair and
agony on me.
Picture of drabfour
posted Hide Post
Baking soda and a damp rag or sponge.

Posts: 5015 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Scraping with a good razor blade might work. Leaving a wet towel laying on the crusty spot for hours might work.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2107 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Barkeepers friend and magic eraser pads. I’m OCD about my glass top. Never should’ve done it, but I liked my old white topped one - I’m constantly cleaning this black one, and it’s obsessive.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5506 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
A sharp razor blade at a correct angle with careful scraping will work perfectly
Be sure to follow up with light abrasive cleaner approved glass tops.

Posts: 23227 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I’ve also been very impressed with magic erasers.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17624 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We use "Cerama Bryte" on ours. It works as advertised and is safe for the surface. it is recommended by the manufacturer and can be found in Walmart, Ace, Home Depot, and Lowes.

Posts: 236 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
I've been using a razor which came with the Weiman's creme cleaner I bought. The creme works well by itself but if there's a boil-over or spill which gets baked on, using a fresh razor on it first ensures good results.

This might help.
Link

Posts: 7387 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used the same stuff as 556 fan. It worked for me.

Posts: 4763 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Call the experts you purchased it from, don't void the warranty.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55210 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by irreverent:
Barkeepers friend

That's my go-to.
Sprinkle some on the cooktop, then add a bit of water to make a paste of it. Scrub, using a damp paper towel. Once the gunk is off, then just use water on a cloth (or paper towel) to continue wiping the BKF remnants away. Then, if you want, go over it with a clean microfiber cloth and some elbow grease.

God bless America.

Posts: 13909 | Location: Frog Level Yacht Club | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
quote:
Barkeepers friend

That's my go-to.
Sprinkle some on the cooktop, then add a bit of water to make a paste of it. Scrub, using a damp paper towel. Once the gunk is off, then just use water on a cloth (or paper towel) to continue wiping the BKF remnants away. Then, if you want, go over it with a clean microfiber cloth and some elbow grease.

Mine too!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 39287 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I use Comet regularly, and glass top cleaner occasionally.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31451 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
We use Weiman cleaner with a green Scotch-Bite pad as needed.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16533 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Barkeepers friend or lemishine, both are an acid and mixing up a paste of it, applying on the baked in glop and then covering it with Saran Wrap to keep it wet will work.

I dit it to mine and let it sit for an afternoon, the glop wiped up when I removed the plastic wrap.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11476 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tuckerrnr1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FiveFiveSixFan:
I've been using a razor which came with the Weiman's creme cleaner I bought. The creme works well by itself but if there's a boil-over or spill which gets baked on, using a fresh razor on it first ensures good results.

This might help.
Link

I second this product. used it for several years and no appreciable wear to cook top.

Posts: 5916 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Isopropyl alcohol 92% works wonders on getting fats and grease off of glass.

Posts: 109165 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of m1009
posted Hide Post
Razor blade for baked on, burnt stuff, and cerama bryte to clean all of it after. The cerama bryte you smear on, use a scratch/ scrubber pad to smear it all over the surface, and then let it dry till it turns white, then use paper towels to clean that off. Been working for me, many years now.

Posts: 1154 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
Bon Ami works well

Posts: 2344 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
quote:
Barkeepers friend

That's my go-to.

Mine too!

Me too. Was at Lowes yesterday and they had a huge can of it for something like $2.28. Told my wife that was too good of a price to pass up.

0:01

Posts: 4286 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post