SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    And another tire question
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

And another tire question Login/Join 
posted
I didn't want to sidetrack the Mickey Thompson tire thread, so I'll start this one for my related question which is - Does anyone routinely replace tires due to age even if still low miles and still has decent tread. I keep a jeep at a second home (which soon will be where we live full time when I retire) and it only gets driven when I am there, so only 1000 - 1200 miles/year. currently has 13k on the odometer, but Goodyear AT tires are 10 years old. They look perfect to the eye, but I have read tires should be replaced regardless of mileage or tread wear around 10 years due to deterioration of the tire just from aging. I hate to spend the money unnecessarily but i would hate even more for a tire mishap while driving.

Is this a real thing or is it lather rinse repeat t sell more product? Does anyone here do this?

BTW - If I do replace the tires I am liking the Mickey Thomson Baja Boss.

Posts: 552 | Location: S Fla / Western NC High Country | Registered: May 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I’ll throw in my opinion. 10 years is starting to get up there. I talked to a shop, he said he didn’t like to mount tires over 7 years old on the sidewall.

Was the vehicle kept in the garage? Tires look fine? How is the vehicle driven? Modest speeds, local area opposed to long distance freeway driving?

I plan to mount winter tires before long, 9 years old, garage kept. I may leave them on next summer.

If they look good, local driving, I’d ‘likely’ keep using them. Keep in mind, a failure at 10 P.M. on a rainy Friday can quickly negate any savings.

Posts: 6179 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Real thing. The blurry part is the actual statistical risk as more credible sources like NHSTA just state that tires account for 9% of accidents, and then list age as a factor (i.e. don't state age accounts for x% of accidents and y% of fatalities).

Tires age on both the inside and outside so you may not see the crack that ultimately causes the blow out. Other factors are how the tires are stored - are they exposed to UV, are they mounted/dismounted annually (e.g winter tires), etc.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23316 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Nobody comes into our store and purchases tires for that reason alone. We would probably not recommend changing depending on how it’s going to be driven.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5690 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
If you put your vehicle on the highway with 10 year old tires you're putting yourself and others at unnecessary risk. To put it another way, calculate the cost of an accident at highway speed, with the cost of replacing tires. That's scenario 1. Scenario 2 is someone ends up in the hosptial, which costs more than scenario 1. Scenario 3 is someone gets dead, which is more expensive than Scenario 2. Then there's the moral/ethical question regardless of the associated risk and potential cost, of driving unsafe vehicles at highway speeds. If you're not on the highway, your risk goes and cost of an accident go down, but then you have to be stuck on a dark road at night with a blown out tire. If you don't end up in a ditch, I hope you're fit and heathy enough to change a wheel in the dark on the side of the road with traffic driving by. All that for the cost of four new tires. 10 year old tires are at end of life regardless if its driving years or parked years, both scenarios are end of life for tires.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8702 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
to answer the questions

The car drives fine. Tires maintain pressure well. I usually have to top them off with a few pounds when we first arrive for a visit after sitting for a few months but they hold pressure. As i said tread is fine, no visible signs of wear or bulges on the sidewalls. We visit 3 - 4 times per year for about 3 - 4 weeks at a time and while there is=t is my daily drieer, very limited and mild to moderate off road use occasionally. The car is stored in a grarage when we are not there.

As to driving and use, we are in western NC in the mountains on mostly twisty mountain roads It spends most of its life in 2nd or 3rd gear, sometimes 4thnon strait stretches. I can't remember the last time I went at speeds above 60 that required me to go into 5th or 6th.

I am very aware of what can happen if there is a tire blowout, but that can happen on new tires.
the more specific question I am asking is whether the age alone, given all the above requires the tires be replaced.

Posts: 552 | Location: S Fla / Western NC High Country | Registered: May 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Here’s my worst tire story, somewhat related. As a kid, I had to scrape by and improvise. I found two old tires in one of our barns, may of already been mounted on wheels. The tread was good, but they were OLD. If I had to guess I’d think at least 15 + years old. I didn’t know the history.

I put them on my 1970 Monte Carlo, again, the tread looked good yet. I ended up with both failing within a few days, total blowouts. This caused inconvenience but no accidents.

Of course this is an extreme example. Maybe it’s a reason I morphed into a mild ‘tire snob’. I just bought some new tires before Winter sets in, Michelin Winter & Michelin Defender all season.

Posts: 6179 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I'd change them. As the only points of contact with the ground, it's pretty important.

Posts: 13148 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife and I have four vehicles licensed and insured. Family car, beater, toy and truck. We only drive a total of about 8,000 miles per year. All vehicles are stored indoors when not being driven. I just replaced all four Michelins on our 2015 Nissan Altima with 25,000 miles on it and I did the Corvette at 9,000 miles because of age. I hate to waste stuff but safety is important and 8 years is about maximum for tires in my opinion. Also when replacing tires check the date on the new ones. Sometimes they are two years old and the clock starts ticking on day one of their manufacture.

Posts: 1500 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Technically Adaptive
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kho:

I am very aware of what can happen if there is a tire blowout, but that can happen on new tires.
the more specific question I am asking is whether the age alone, given all the above requires the tires be replaced.

Lets see what Goodyear says, they make tires, even though they may say this to sell more frequently.

Quote:
Time in Service v. Time in Years

It is impossible to predict when a tire should be replaced based on its calendar age alone. Although no widely accepted scientific research exists to show that chronological aging alone adversely affects a tire, and if so, how those effects occur, over what time period, etc., the longer a tire is in service, the more opportunities there are for it to be exposed to adverse environmental or service conditions. Therefore, the older a tire the greater the chance that it will need to be replaced due to service-related or storage conditions.

Tire Replacement – 6 Years in Service

While most tires will be replaced sooner, Goodyear recommends that any tire in service (meaning inflated and mounted on a rim of your vehicle, including your spare tire regardless of whether that tire is in contact with the roadway) 6 years or more be replaced even if such tire appears serviceable and even if it has not reached the legal treadwear limit. If you are unable to determine the date a tire was first placed in service, then you should rely on the DOT code stamped on the tire and ensure that any tire which was manufactured more than 6 years ago is removed from service (see below for how to read a tire’s DOT code). Tires that should otherwise be replaced based on wear, damage or any other factor should not be kept in service regardless of the date they were first placed in service or their date of manufacture. Also, consumers should never purchase or install used tires of any age on their vehicle as the service, maintenance and storage of used tires is largely unknown.
End Quote.

It's pretty much your professional choice, or have a tire store look at them, or just run them.
The tire manufacturers do not have a specific answer because of all the variables.
https://www.goodyear.com/en_US...even%20if%20it%20has

Posts: 1308 | Location: Willcox, AZ | Registered: September 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
EMS

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5690 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't take a trip of any length.
But if they've been parked inside a garage and look fine with a close inspection, around town on short trips is probably OK.
I have an older F-150 I almost never drive anymore. It has Michelins that are around 21 years old, good tread and don't show any real signs of cracking or (especially important) tread separation. The garage it's in is dark and a bit colder so that may factor in but I definitely won't go too far with them.

Posts: 9546 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I traded my last car in for this reason. Tires were seven years old, sidewalls were cracking, didn't feel like spending the money on tires for a car I was bored with. So instead of buying new tires I bought a new car.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20843 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
Absolutely everything you and your car do is ultimately to affect a contact patch of a few square feet - at most - between your tires and the road. Don't skimp on the tires.

Posts: 3665 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Age alone is NOT a reason to replace your tires. The effects of age (and environmental conditions) could be, but I'd think you'd notice soon enough if you should replace them. Garage kept, and NO plans for long(er) distance, highway or high(er) speed driving...I say go for it. You might need to drive w/ your hazards on though... Razz

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8953 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
I traded my last car in for this reason. Tires were seven years old, sidewalls were cracking, didn't feel like spending the money on tires for a car I was bored with.

So instead of buying new tires I bought a new car.

That's one way to handle it. Eek

BTW, the MT's I am going to give a look although I have been a HUGE fan of Nitto Terra Graphler's with an eye on the Terra Grappler 2 this time around.

Posts: 22943 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
The only place I’d drive it would be to the tire shop. 10 years is a long time for tires to degrade from UV

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11304 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
Really depends on the temperature conditions and where the vehicle is stored. Large thermal swings and UV exposure will contribute to vulcanization/rot.

Garage kept and minimal temperature variation would keep them serviceable but still less trustworthy at 10 years and 13k mi. Personally, depending on how long they sit between driving intervals, I'd be equally concerned about deformation...

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6220 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Manufacturers typically recommend replacement after 10 years of age based on DOT. No manufacturer warranties a tire beyond 6 years. There is no "requirement" to replace, but its your life to risk not mine. That said, we won't perform any tire services on tires over 10 years of age and I won't install/mount/put into service tires over 6-7 years of age. Too much liability risk in this day of everyone suing/blaming someone else for their bad decisions. This is born from legal cases where tire dealers and auto repair shops have been held liable for simply bolting on a mounted spare that had a old (over 10 years) tire when a customer had a flat and it couldn't be repaired.

Posts: 270 | Location: NorCal | Registered: June 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Definitely
NOT Banned
Picture of teombe
posted Hide Post
If tires make it to 6 years on my vehicles, then they get replaced. You would be surprised at how much time will degrade a tire.

Posts: 2044 | Location: Gilbert, AZ | Registered: February 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post