SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Question for those with wood stoves, fire places, pizza ovens, fire pits, camp fires or wood boilers.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question for those with wood stoves, fire places, pizza ovens, fire pits, camp fires or wood boilers. Login/Join 
posted
Do you purchase split wood?
Do you purchase bucked wood to split yourself?

Do you chase down downed timber to cut and buck and split?

Are you out their felling?
Or
Do you just
"Call the man"
And it just appears in the drive way?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54668 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
I am fortunate to have plenty of standing dead and fallen trees on the property close to trails, so they're easy to get to and I cut and split the wood myself. I started off splitting by hand but around 15 years ago I bought a splitter which makes it FAR easier and faster.
Of course there's the cost of the splitter and a SxS, ATV and trailer, or tractor to move it around..... Smile

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7107 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I have a high efficiency Regency insert and it keeps a good bit of the house warm. I cut and split my own, but I’m about out of green ash borer killed white ash. WVDOT had been doing a lot of interstate cutting in the last year and there is a lot of downed hardwoods for the taking along I-81 which I’ll be taking advantage of in the coming weeks to stock up. After that, I’ll have to start chasing storm damage when I can.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15606 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Do you chase down downed timber to cut and buck and split?

40-50 years ago, yes;
since then, a slow roll towards geezer/wood tender. Given the miles on various major body parts, I gradually had to revise my wood tending.

Bought an electric impulse splitter about 5 years ago. Handles most of the splitting.

Ordering loads in smaller pieces too.

Splitting/stacking is a pleasurable activity still. I'm more limber & trim off a few #s after a few days in a bit of exercise.

This summer I had to rent a larger gas splitter to handle the 5 large locust trees that required management.

Posts: 9855 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
People give away fire wood all the time. I'll pick up and store it. I only use it for my fire pit.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7074 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIG4EVA:
People give away fire wood all the time. I'll pick up and store it. I only use it for my fire pit.

This is what I did. Had probably a quarter of a cord stacked and drying in my garage when we moved. Left it for the new owner to use or dispose of, but it had almost a year on it out of the rain.

We already had more than we needed when the guy down the street had a massive tree felled in his front yard and cut into rounds. He spray-painted "FREE" on one of them, propped it up, and it was all gone in about two days.

If you're the thrifty type, keep an eye on Craigslist, Offerup, Nextdoor, and if you do Facebook, join the local groups. People in wooded areas post up "come and get it" fairly often.

Posts: 17176 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
I buy a mixed cord (cherry, apple, apricot) of limbs and rounds cut between 12 and 16 inches long to use in my smoker.

If I need to split a piece I grab my 12 pound maul.

When my mom would buy cord wood for the fireplace, and when I had a wood stove almost 30 years ago I bought rounds and split it myself... warmed me up twice.

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone to the Dogs
Picture of tomgun
posted Hide Post
I always come across wood so I’ve never had to buy any. Helped a friend clear his land full of alder a couple years ago we’re burning it now. I think I got seven or eight cords out of that deal.
He bought a 28 ton splitter and at the end he gave it to me, I’ve always split with a maul this splitter is pretty great!
We haven’t turned our heat on in 30 years, we use a lopi catalytic.

Posts: 1696 | Location: Lake Tapps, WA. | Registered: June 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Fire wood is fairly cheap here so I buy it for my fire pit.

Posts: 13132 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
I’ve got 7 acres. Plenty of oak and some cherry. I cut and split myself. I don’t need a lot. Mostly for bbq and occasional fire pit.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12441 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
We get a wood permit from the forest service.

Like 20.00 for up to 10 cords.
Mostly down trees, also have areas where live trees are marked for thinning.

Cut aprox. 8' lenghts to get it home. Then block and split.
Pinion and cedar.

Sometimes a forest ranger will check your permit but mostly it's honor system.

Posts: 1571 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
I've been burning wood as our primary heat source since 1970. For many years I cut, hauled, and split my own, but my old knees & back won't take that anymore.

Now I buy it cut & split from a guy back the road who owns a bunch of land. He only cuts for himself, his Mom & Dad, and me and charges me about me half the price of what I see it going for in the classifieds.

Even if I paid double for the wood, with the prices the way they are, it'd still be cheaper than heating with fuel oil, or propane.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chillin out
Picture of florida boy
posted Hide Post
We are blessed to have 20 acres, 16 of it which are mostly hardwoods so I cut and split my own firewood. If you live near national forest you can get a permit to cut downed trees from there also.
Union Co. is about 47% national forest so my options are many. We use about 60-70% wood, about 15-20% heat pump and the rest propane.

I practice Shinrin-yoku
It's better to wear out than rust out
Member NRA
Member Georgia Carry

Posts: 3814 | Location: Union County, Georgia | Registered: September 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
32nd degree
Picture of roarindan
posted Hide Post
I have used wood for heat almost all my life, if I owned the house I put in a wood burning add-on or stove. The last home had a 6 plate wood stove in the kitchen and i put a add-on to the oil heat.I used to buy log length hardwood and buck it up my self; but since spent the cold months in a warmer climate I only use my outdoor wood furnace for heating the water and to take a late spring or autumn chill out. I still cut all my windfalls and pick up a lot of scrap wood.

"the world doesn't end til yer dead, 'til then there's more beatin's in store, stand it like a man, and give some back"
Al Swearengen

Posts: 4586 | Location: East Overshoe, second buckle from the top. | Registered: January 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
So far, dead trees have been sufficient. We rent a large splitter and do a bunch at once.

Honestly, those heavy duty splitters tend to spoil you.

I think we do have some contrapition which hooks up to the tractor somewhere.

Posts: 5742 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
We have a friend that is clearing dead/dying trees to improve his view. He bucks the wood and delivers it. I simply power split and stack it, it's ready to burn for right now.

Although we have a heat pump, we heat the entire house with wood almost all season. Plus we have a southern exposure that keeps the great room toasty warm on sunny days.

Posts: 3852 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
As a project I cleared an overgrown cemetery of 90 some odd trees. I cut em and cut it all into 2’ sections and stacked them on the fence line. Put up a sign one day for free wood, and it was gone the next day. All of it.

When I was a teen we followed the linemen trimming power lines and they didn’t care as long as we stayed out of their way. That really sucked. Dad would send us down the hill with a cable and he would drag logs back up and we would cut and split it at home. BTW black locust is great firewood.

Once as a punishment for skipping school, dad gave me a chainsaw and had a load of logs delivered. You know like a whole log truck loaded down. I spent all weekend bucking and splitting wood.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11294 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My brother volunteers at a cemetery also.
He has taken out four trees , four years in a row.

He has no place to put it to offer it
It all goes in a ravine.

Three people wanted it but couldn't transport it

And three more wanted it but wanted him to buck, split and stack it for free !

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54668 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I’m only semi-rural but still get all the free wood I can handle. Back in the day, up North, we would go out at the tail end of logging jobs, cut the leftovers. For the most part, those options are few even up North, unless you know someone.

I’ve developed contacts over the years, some from as simple as an ad in the freebie paper. I’ve done golf courses as they cut dead trees in the Winter, along roadsides, after asking the landowner.

Here’s a ‘pro tip’, the best time is late Winter, Spring, to early Summer, few others are looking. Yes, we all like Oak, maple & Hickory, but I’ll take the peripheral wood. That may include box elder, Aspen, Elm, and even some pine. I’ll mix it in with the good stuff.

The one wood I don’t take is Willow, yeah, the weeping Willow.

Posts: 6170 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Don't have willow around here but curious what's wrong with it as firewood?

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7107 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post