SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Want to invest in some NVD
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Want to invest in some NVD Login/Join 
Picture of OttoSig
posted
Cost will likely dictate a monocular device.

Im think a PVS-14 Gen 3 WP model.

Im not basing this off much real world knowledge as my job keeps me at a desk and out of the field but more on internet readings and such.

Id also get a helmet mount for shooting and a DBAL laser/ IR light cause why the hell not.

This will basically serve as a grail list SHTF item used for fun and because again, why not.

Any first hand experience or opinions welcome!

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6348 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
If you want to save some money and can wait, check TNVC next 4th of July. I got a unit with very good specs, and ok blemishes for the price. For laser units, look at foreign made if you want a good illuminator.

Posts: 9981 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not all who wander
are lost.
Picture of JohnV
posted Hide Post
You’ll love it!! I recommend unfilmed. Technically you’ll get less usable hours out of it vs thin filmed. But you’ll never wear it out with how you will end up using it. It’s a better sharper picture. Also consider adding a TNVC Torch as the dbal is not going to perform like you think. The MAWL is light years better...and ridiculously expensive. Helmet and mount are a must. You’ll also want a counterweight in the back. Look at the TNVC Mowhawk.

Posted from my iPhone.

Posts: 4313 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: February 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JohnV:
You’ll love it!! I recommend unfilmed. Technically you’ll get less usable hours out of it vs thin filmed. But you’ll never wear it out with how you will end up using it. It’s a better sharper picture. Also consider adding a TNVC Torch as the dbal is not going to perform like you think. The MAWL is light years better...and ridiculously expensive. Helmet and mount are a must. You’ll also want a counterweight in the back. Look at the TNVC Mowhawk.

John,

I've always searched and read TNVC's site and assumed they were top notch in the industry (Much like Milt Sparks would be for holsters as an example). You're recommendations kind of answer my question but it there a SET hierarchy with NVD companies?

I'm not interested in Chinese made or cheaper models, so are the tried and true companies as few and far between as it seems to be?

Posts: 6348 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have what some refer to as a Gen 2+. I bought it used for a good price. Haven't had much call to use it other than look for critters in the back yard or watch folks walking down the street at night. I'm amazed at what you can see.

Don't know your budget but if I had the funds (I'm retired and don't), I would seriously look at thermal instead of NV. Don't get me wrong, NV is great but thermal takes it to another level. Unless whatever you are looking for has assumed equilibrium with the environment, you will see it/him. With NV, unless there is movement or something that stands out, you will likely not see it/him.

Posts: 56 | Registered: January 12, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
I like the idea, and for my 3500 (NVD)+1200 (IR/Laser), im in the neighborhood for some of Trijicons models.

However, the biggest detractor to Thermal for me was that a scope would take a lot of the fun away as whatever I point it at would need to be killable.

Seemed like a better option for SHTF but less for just having fun until then.

Am i wrong? Are Thermal monoculars very shooter friendly?

Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
The TNVC 4th sale units were thin filmed WP at $2,400. IMO worth waiting to see what they do next year, unless you want top of the line or to get it immediately. Keep in mind most NVD are on backorder at the moment.

Posts: 9981 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not all who wander
are lost.
Picture of JohnV
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OttoSig:
quote:
Originally posted by JohnV:

John,

I've always searched and read TNVC's site and assumed they were top notch in the industry (Much like Milt Sparks would be for holsters as an example). You're recommendations kind of answer my question but it there a SET hierarchy with NVD companies?

I'm not interested in Chinese made or cheaper models, so are the tried and true companies as few and far between as it seems to be?

You'll know if you are buying cheap stuff because of the price. Definitely get Gen3, ideally filmless. TNVC is good, Night Vision Devices is good, Own the Night is good. There are probably others. A buddy of mine purchased through Night Vision Devices and he started having an issue with a spot developing in the tube. They immediately took it back and inspected it and found it had some dirt on the inside of the tube. They cleaned it up and he's good to go. So great customer service and quality units. Expect to pay around $3,800- $4,300 for Gen 3 WP Filmless. Dont buy off eBay. If you want to save a little money, you won't sacrifice much going Green Phosphur filmless. Thats what I have. The WP has better contrast for sure. Its superior product, but I got mine for around $2,300 and I couldn't justify slightly better image for the substantial increase in cost. If money were no object, I'd have WP Bins. Smile

Posted from my iPhone.

Posts: 4313 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: February 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post