SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    January 15 Is National Bagel Day
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

January 15 Is National Bagel Day Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30730 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Short. Fat. Bald.
Costanzaesque.

Picture of TexasScrub
posted Hide Post
That looks delicious! I'm having a fried egg on a bagel as we speak, with some bacon (ok, so not very kosher).

I have to go to San Antonio for the closest fresh bagels, so I settle for whatever HEB has in the bread aisle.

Damn, we need an Einsteins or similar.

Posts: 1993 | Location: Victoria, TX | Registered: February 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Now, I ain't putting down your National Bagel Day, but I still am partial to National Potato Day as officially celebrated by Otis Campbell! Either baked or scalloped or covered and smothered or mashed or.....

Posts: 1627 | Registered: February 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TexasScrub:

That looks delicious! I'm having a fried egg on a bagel as we speak, with some bacon (ok, so not very kosher).

I have to go to San Antonio for the closest fresh bagels, so I settle for whatever HEB has in the bread aisle.

There is an Einstein Bro's bagel joint about five or ten minutes from my house, but I really don't care for them. Mediocre bagels, high price. Manhattan Bagels was decent for a franchise / chain type place, but Einstein bought them out and discontinued the Manhattan recipe.

The local grocery chain (Publix) carries these in the freezer section. They are pretty decent bialys. Same brand also offers bagels; I haven't tried them yet.

Having grown up in the NYC area, with relatives in the hard core Jewish neighborhoods, I was used to having great little mom & pop bagel bakeries all over the place. I really miss that aspect of the NY metro area.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30730 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Short. Fat. Bald.
Costanzaesque.

Picture of TexasScrub
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by TexasScrub:

There is an Einstein Bro's bagel joint about five or ten minutes from my house, but I really don't care for them. Mediocre bagels, high price. Manhattan Bagels was decent for a franchise / chain type place, but Einstein bought them out and discontinued the Manhattan recipe.

The local grocery chain (Publix) carries these in the freezer section. They are pretty decent bialys. Same brand also offers bagels; I haven't tried them yet.

Having grown up in the NYC area, with relatives in the hard core Jewish neighborhoods, I was used to having great little mom & pop bagel bakeries all over the place. I really miss that aspect of the NY metro area.

I referenced Einsteins since no other chain would step foot in Victoria, but this is my go to for fresh bagels. Max and Louie's New York Deli. Here is a link to one of their videos, bon a petit and I'm not sorry if you drool on your keyboard.

true deliciousness

Posts: 1993 | Location: Victoria, TX | Registered: February 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
We went on our first cruise a few weeks ago and what you have pictured is what I ate with breakfast every morning! Except for the green sliced stuff; is that cucumber? I never had smoked salmon on a bagel before, but it was tasty.

Posts: 11014 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Best bagels I’ve ever had were at Bagelicious on Johnson Ferry Road in Marietta. Owner is from New York. Get there in the morning when they first open. Oh man….

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3979 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
I never had smoked salmon on a bagel before, but it was tasty.

Every time I am in a certain part of California (will be there in a couple of months) I always have breakfast a certain place that offered "Eggs Nova Scotia" (also known in Canada as "Eggs Halifax").

It's basically the same as Eggs Benedict but instead of ham, Nova Scotia Lox is used. (A cream cheese & lox bagel is mighty fine eating) It's darn good & tasty and something a bit different than normal, and I like that. Not the same ol' same ol' stuff.

I even make it at home, but since I suck at making Holladaise sauce, I skip that and add some finely chopped onions and capers & dill and a dusting of salt & pepper.

Try it, any variation of will be fine.

Posts: 11864 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
And the 16th is National Fig Newton Day. I can hardly wait!

Posts: 26941 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I eat two bagels a week,
It's my only source of bread these days.

300 calories each , Thomas brand

Frozen solid first then microwaved till very very warm ,
Not scalding hot

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54700 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Alas, I have only Pepperidge Farm refrigerated bagels (cinnamon raisin) and blueberry cream cheese; but that should work for lunch.

Posts: 3227 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
If you're in the southeastern U.S. check the Publix in-store bakery. These aren't bad, if there's not a real mom & pop bagel bakery near you.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
If you're in the southeastern U.S. check the Publix in-store bakery. These aren't bad, if there's not a real mom & pop bagel bakery near you.

Publix bakery does an excellent job, have you Tried the Brooklyn Water Bagel company in Lake Mary, haven't myself, link they opened one near Costco in Wintah Phaark.

Posts: 23576 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I had an English muffin today.

Posts: 11014 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I didn't know what to expect when I opened this thread. The pic in the OP literally had me wiping away drool.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12758 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:

have you Tried the Brooklyn Water Bagel company in Lake Mary
Not far from Filutowski Eye Clinic, where wife and I both had cataracts done, so stopped there a couple times. Decent bagels, a little on the pricey side, girl at the order counter was a total bubble-head but she has probably been replaced by now.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
Tonight at our house. I knew it was a smart move marrying a girl who grew up in Miami.

Bagel Day 2024 by Brad Benzing, on Flickr

Posts: 11234 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fool for the City
Picture of MRMATT
posted Hide Post
Just ate a plain toasted bagel dripping with butter - the way I like them best.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington.

Posts: 5293 | Location: Pottstown, PA | Registered: April 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have Panera Bread, formerly and originally the St. Louis Bread Company here in town. Through several iterations, ownership changes, and name changes, they grew to a nationwide entity. Locally, at least, they are as good as all but the best small, local bakeries. I get the bagels by the baker's dozen; they are part of my breakfast four or five days a week. Easily better than Einstein's, and probably almost as good as a good New York bagel; don't know, haven't had one in many years. But these do fine for easily available.

Posts: 2695 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MRMATT:
Just ate a plain toasted bagel dripping with butter - the way I like them best.

I’m not a huge bagel fan but when I eat one this is the way for me. I like a good onion bagel too occasionally.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15259 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post