SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    NJ dropped justifiable need for CCW
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NJ dropped justifiable need for CCW Login/Join 
Picture of aguilar64
posted
PDF file

“When the law disarms good guys, bad guys rejoice.”
― Ted Nugent

Posts: 2210 | Location: North East | Registered: November 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Very good. Moving in the right direction.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30411 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Most Excellent, but WOW, didn't see that coming! Forwarded to family members still trapped behind enemy lines in New Jermany! Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8919 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
That’s most excellent news.

I see California as being the last to ever fall in line and admit that the US has a constitution

Posts: 53200 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
Very good news!! Ex New Jersey gun owner that could not get a permit.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3401 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
Happy for ya, Jersey!

Posts: 3459 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Waiting for the "But..."

Posts: 21106 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The key phrase: "the applicant need not submit a written certification of justifiable need to carry a handgun."

As a NJ resident, I am delighted! Great news.

Posts: 1054 | Location: New Jersey  | Registered: May 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Great news for NJ.
But don't they still lock you up forever for hollow points?
Or was that just a Sopranos tale?

Posts: 22923 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
Great news for NJ.

Not a tale. Non LEO, HP's outside of home or range Felony.

But don't worry there are plenty of not yet ruled unconstitutional hoops to jump thru. D) is the only part that goes away

(a) Every person applying for a permit to carry a handgun shall furnish such information and particulars as set forth in the application form designated SP 642. The application shall be signed by the applicant under oath and shall be endorsed by three reputable persons who have known the applicant for at least three years preceding the date of application, and who shall also certify thereon that the applicant is a person of good moral character and behavior. Applications can be obtained at police departments and State Police stations.

(b) Each applicant shall demonstrate a thorough familiarity with the safe handling and use of handguns by indicating in the space provided therefor on the application form, and on any sworn attachments thereto, any relevant information. Thorough familiarity with the safe handling and use of handguns shall be evidenced by:
1. Completion of a firearms training course substantially equivalent to the firearms training approved by the Police Training Commission as described by N.J.S.A. 2C:39-6j;
2. Submission of an applicant's most recent handgun qualification scores utilizing the handgun(s) he or she intends to carry as evidenced by test firings administered by a certified firearms instructor of a police academy, a certified firearms instructor of the National Rifle Association, or any other recognized certified firearms instructor; or
3. Passage of any test in this State's laws governing the use of force administered by a certified instructor of a police academy, a certified instructor of the National Rifle Association, or any other recognized certified instructor.

(c) The information in (b) above shall be accompanied and validated by certifications of the appropriate instructor(s).

(d) Each application form shall also be accompanied by a written certification of justifiable need to carry a handgun, which shall be under oath and which:
1. In the case of a private citizen, shall specify in detail the urgent necessity for self-protection, as evidenced by specific threats or previous attacks, which demonstrate a special danger to the applicant's life that cannot be avoided by means other than by issuance of a permit to carry a handgun. Where possible, the applicant shall corroborate the existence of any specific threats or previous attacks by reference to reports of such incidents to the appropriate law enforcement agencies; or
2. In the case of employees of private detective agencies, armored car companies and private security companies, that:
i. In the course of performing statutorily authorized duties, the applicant is subject to a substantial threat of serious bodily harm; and
ii. That carrying a handgun by the applicant is necessary to reduce the threat of unjustifiable serious bodily harm to any person.

Posts: 1041 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PeteF:
quote:
Great news for NJ.

Correct. And an actual loaded cartridge isn't needed for the conviction... merely, literally, a BULLET.

Posts: 2466 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
^^^Yes and no...I believe that by violating that statute you are charged with 'Illegal Possession of Hollowpoint Bullets'. That said, it is/was generally an add-on charge to the primary charge of 'Illegal Possession of a Handgun' that would almost certainly would accompany it. The MAJOR issue is/was that in New Jermany if you can't get a CCW permit (and basically NOBODY could!), you were only allowed to 'possess' the handgun AND hollowpoint 'bullets' in very limited circumstances. This would essentially be limited to either at home, or at the range anyway. Further you have to adhere to very specific (a.k.a. ridiculous!) requirements as to how you could transport firearms & ammunition between your home and the range.

Hopefully this will change that...

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8919 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DennisM:
quote:
Originally posted by PeteF:
quote:
Great news for NJ.

Correct. And an actual loaded cartridge isn't needed for the conviction... merely, literally, a BULLET.
Huh. How do they feel about incendiary or tracer rounds? Razz

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
I grew up in NJ, moved there from TX when I was 11. We never even thought about the stupid laws when going to the range in Hillsborough. I think we usually had everything in the trunk, but maybe not. I'm sure we shot off lots of old homemade HPs before we needed to buy more from the range. I've driven with a gun in the car in NJ lots of times since then, just never thought about it. But the few times I was pulled over there, the cops never asked anything about weapons or wanting to search.

Posts: 3542 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Great news for NJ.

No, only the gang thugs get charged, which of course the liberal prosecutors/judges dismiss all the illegal gun charges , anyhow.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8365 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Lee:
I grew up in NJ, moved there from TX when I was 11. We never even thought about the stupid laws when going to the range in Hillsborough. I think we usually had everything in the trunk, but maybe not. I'm sure we shot off lots of old homemade HPs before we needed to buy more from the range. I've driven with a gun in the car in NJ lots of times since then, just never thought about it. But the few times I was pulled over there, the cops never asked anything about weapons or wanting to search.

We lived in Hillsborough, frequented that range. We were sad to see it close but joined the private club in Bridgewater.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3401 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
Not a lawyer so Im not sure why these demonrat states are getting in front of this before similar suits are brought locally. They clearly dont respect 2A or gun owners so is there some advantage to acting pro-actively...does it prevent some repercussions for the states?

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo Jones:
Not a lawyer so Im not sure why these demonrat states are getting in front of this before similar suits are brought locally. They clearly dont respect 2A or gun owners so is there some advantage to acting pro-actively...does it prevent some repercussions for the states?

Yes, it does. Once the SCOTUS issued its opinion, any state or local government that requires a showing of need to issue a permit would violate the applicant’s Constitutional rights by doing so. The applicant would then be able to sue the government (and the individual person who violated their rights) for doing so under 42 USC 1983, which allows both compensatory and punitive damages, and often prevailing party attorneys’ fees.

Posts: 996 | Location: Tampa | Registered: July 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
Good answer...thank you.

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I will fear no evil..
Psalm 23:4
posted Hide Post
Another big win in NJ was that they now must recognize and abide by all LEOSA regulations. The State was enacting all types of extra hurdles and fees. 2 big losses in a week.

Posts: 947 | Location: NJ | Registered: September 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post