SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Looking for a cell phone that uses verizon, that does not use apple or android.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for a cell phone that uses verizon, that does not use apple or android. Login/Join 
posted
Given googles Political BS, and apples similar habits. I was just wondering if there was anything that did not envolve either android or apple phones. Something that could break me away from Chrome, gmail, etc.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
Are you looking for a smartphone or a something like a flip phone?

It's been a while since I paid attention, but there were smartphones with Sailfish OS. I don't think the Firefox OS phones ever were sold here. Somebody more attenuated to this will surely have suggestions.

Posts: 5765 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
I had a Nokia from a few years ago. Awesome phone. Was about 5 inches long, one inch wide, and 3/4 inch thick. Fit in any pocket, would get reception when nothing else could, and damn near no one had seen one before. The only drawback was texting took a while, but heck, I don't like texting anyway. The only reason I had to change is because the job said I needed a smartphone. Simpler times...

Don't rule out buying one and having it imported. Does Verizon still use CDMA or have they moved to SIM cards?

Posts: 9171 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I should clarify, I do want a smart phone. Just an option to run something other than android/chrome/or apple as an OS. It seems the market is pretty thin.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
posted Hide Post
Blackberry?

------------------------------------------------

9/11/01 Never Forget

"In valor there is hope" - Tacitus

Posts: 2676 | Location: VA | Registered: April 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
I had a Nokia from a few years ago. Awesome phone. Was about 5 inches long, one inch wide, and 3/4 inch thick. Fit in any pocket, would get reception when nothing else could, and damn near no one had seen one before. The only drawback was texting took a while, but heck, I don't like texting anyway. The only reason I had to change is because the job said I needed a smartphone. Simpler times...

Don't rule out buying one and having it imported. Does Verizon still use CDMA or have they moved to SIM cards?
Nokia made some good phones with Symbian OS. I have a Nokia 635 with Windows 8 Mobile. It was actually a pretty nice phone and OS. Unfortunately, T-Mobile didn't care to see it get Windows 10. I damn near got an HP Elite for Windows 10, because I liked it so much. But the lack of apps and MS pulling the rug out from under phones again. kept me from doing so.

Posts: 5765 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig 226:
Blackberry?
Aren't they using Android OS?

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
I should clarify, I do want a smart phone. Just an option to run something other than android/chrome/or apple as an OS. It seems the market is pretty thin.

Android and iOS is it. Microsoft's latest attempt was another flop. Blackberry is now Android. Canonical's mobile OS never got off the ground. Samsung's got one waiting in the wings--if you'd be nuts enough to trust Samsung.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:

Android and iOS is it. Microsoft's latest attempt was another flop. Blackberry is now Android. Canonical's mobile OS never got off the ground. Samsung's got one waiting in the wings--if you'd be nuts enough to trust Samsung.

This is what i was afraid of. I really would like to see a simple user inter face to check email, and surf. I don't use a shit ton of apps. The shere amount of crap google shovels into my life from my phone use, wifes, and kids is just staggering. It is a complete invasion of privacy.

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Microsoft's latest attempt was another flop.

As was Amazon's attempt at the Fire Phone.

You could still buy a Windows Phone, but Microsoft had already announced last year that they're discontinuing development for the platform. Bug fixes and security updates will continue for the near future, but who knows how long that will last.

Realistically, iOS and Android are your only options.

Posts: 32562 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Don't understand lumping Google and Apple into one pot in regard to safeguarding your data. Granted they're both run by left-wingers, but Apple seems to be much more serious about security and successful in preventing hacking of their systems.

Posts: 18094 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
Don't understand lumping Google and Apple into one pot in regard to safeguarding your data. Granted they're both run by left-wingers, but Apple seems to be much more serious about security and successful in preventing hacking of their systems.

Unquestionably so, IMO, which is why I switched to Apple's iOS after being on Android for years.

Coincidentally, along those lines, this just popped-up in one of my security feeds today: Facebook Collected Your Android Call History and SMS Data For Years

I never trusted the FB app on Android, so, the first time an upgrade came along and they suddenly wanted access to all that, I responded "No" and deleted the app. People thought I was being needlessly paranoid. Guess not.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
If you don't need all the latest and greatest apps and the Windows Phone 10 is actually a great phone.
I know it was a financial disaster but it is a great device sans the plethora of new apps.
There are still several app available but dwindling slowly.

Posts: 22952 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:

Unquestionably so, IMO, which is why I switched to Apple's iOS after being on Android for years.

Coincidentally, along those lines, this just popped-up in one of my security feeds today: Facebook Collected Your Android Call History and SMS Data For Years

I never trusted the FB app on Android, so, the first time an upgrade came along and they suddenly wanted access to all that, I responded "No" and deleted the app. People thought I was being needlessly paranoid. Guess not.

Just read the same article. 20 to 1 though they do it to apple. Apple is no paragon of virtue either. Lesser of two evils yes, but not the shining white phone as it were.

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just read the same article. 20 to 1 though they do it to apple.

Unlikely. iOS doesn't give them the permissions and does not appear to be as riddled with vulnerabilities as Android.

I see Android vulnerabilities and security patches come across my various security feeds on pretty much a weekly basis. iOS: Not so much.

quote:
Apple is no paragon of virtue either. Lesser of two evils yes, but not the shining white phone as it were.

No software system can be considered 100% bug-free. And no general purpose operating system (MS-Windows, OS X, Linux, Unix, Android, iOS, whatever) can ever be 100% exploit-proof, but there are degrees.

I don't really like iOS all that much, but, IMO, it's significantly less insecure than Android, and security trumps everything else, for me.

Microsoft's latest mobile OS was allegedly more bullet-proof than Android, as well, but, IMO, it's not really a viable option, as it's already effectively obsolete.

Anyway: I guess you have your answer.

Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Did't Microsoft give up the phone business last year?
Their record with phones isn't even good. Once they launched a phone that sold less than a 1000 units before they pulled the plug on it.

Never tried one, I 'd consider it a curiosity and a waste of time. NO FUTURE.

Good or bad, the world is split in Android and iOs phones, period. IMO.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12145 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIG 229R
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:

Verizon is still CDMA but uses a SIM card , as far as sig 226's suggestion if you look close at BB I think some of them now use Android platform, but this is just a guess.

SigP229R
Harry Callahan "A man has got to know his limitations".
Teddy Roosevelt "Talk soft carry a big stick"
I Cor10: 13 "1611KJV"

Posts: 6066 | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Samsung's got one waiting in the wings--if you'd be nuts enough to trust Samsung.

Why do you say that?
I have had several Samsung phones that work great.
They would probably last much longer if I wasn't so rough on them.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4140 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
quote:

I think that leaves you with a Windows OS, so doesn’t look like there’s much of a way for you.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EasyFire
posted Hide Post
I am have been using a Windows 10 phone on Verizon while another smart phone is being repaired.

It is satisfactory in service, but no apps are being upgraded.

Consequently I cannot use as apps many propitiatory apps and must use access on google to reach needed information. For example, to review my Wells Fargo account, I have to log in through google to the WF web site as the app no longer works.

EasyFire

EasyFire [AT] zianet.com
----------------------------------
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Colorado Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
Nationwide Agent for >
US LawShield > https://www.texaslawshield.com...p.php?promo=ondemand
CCW Safe > www.ccwsafe.com/CCHPI

Posts: 1441 | Location: Denver Area Colorado | Registered: December 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post