SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    More battery-powered fires, this time a police Segway at Dulles International Airport
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

More battery-powered fires, this time a police Segway at Dulles International Airport Login/Join 
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted
You don't see this every day. Aren't Segway batteries lithium-based?

quote:
WTOP.com: 2 airport police officers injured, terminal evacuated after Segway fire at Dulles International Airport

Dulles International Airport passengers preparing for departure were evacuated for roughly 90 minutes after a Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority police scooter burst into flames inside the terminal.

A spokesperson for the MWAA said the incident started at around 7:30 p.m. inside a departure terminal. For reasons not yet identified, an officer’s segway began to smoke before catching fire, creating a dark cloud inside the airport and injuring two officers.

“As a safety precaution, passengers were evacuated from the departures level of the terminal,” agency spokesperson James Johnson said in an email to WTOP.

The agency’s fire and rescue department responded to the blaze and began attempting to contain the smoke, venting it from other parts of the airport terminal. Meanwhile, officials had everyone on the departures levels of the main terminal evacuate the airport.

The authority completed smoke ventilation and firefighting at around 9 p.m. Passengers and employees were allowed back into the building and, Johnson said, normal operations resumed. Additional delays related to the fire have not been shared with WTOP.

Two Airport Authority police officers were reportedly taken to a local hospital for evaluation and are expected to be okay. No other injuries related to the fire were reported.

ROSAL

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31443 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
didn't a couple of these torch early in Segways existence ridden by NYPD possibly? I seem to recall from a couple decades ago

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6226 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mikus36
posted Hide Post
Yes. Lithium battery - biggest problem is overcharging. I have had 2 house fires related to them. NY has a large curior delivery market and they buy as cheap as possible batteries and overcharge them. I have 2 e bikes and do not charge them in the house.

https://www.fdnysmart.org/wp-c...teries-060321-05.pdf

"It's a Bill of Rights - Not a Bill of Needs"
The World is a combustible Place

Posts: 353 | Location: Washington | Registered: April 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I actually just did a safety meeting on this same subject. Beleave it or not water is the best way to put them out! You have to cool the batteries down. I'll try to find the short video and post it, it's on my work computer.

Posts: 632 | Location: Cajun Country, Sportsman Paradise  | Registered: March 19, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
That's something you don't see every day in an airport.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37958 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Dulles International Airport passengers preparing for departure were evacuated for roughly 90 minutes after a Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority police scooter burst into flames inside the terminal.

I wonder how many people missed their flights on account of that?

Posts: 7268 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post