SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Italian Sandwich being made in Sicily: this ain't no Subway Sandwich Artist
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Italian Sandwich being made in Sicily: this ain't no Subway Sandwich Artist Login/Join 
Picture of lkdr1989
posted
There's no way this sandwich would be made here...not quick enough, not enough fresh ingredients and not enough cheese.

Edit: from the comments

All the ingredients in order of comparison. Capslock when is cheese: Filoncino bread, olive oil, PARMESAN, dried ciliegini (sweet tomatoes) with basil, fresh salad (radicchio+lettuce+lemon juice and lemon zest), fresh tomatoes (Ramati), GRATED CACIOTTA, GRATED SHEEP RICOTTA (the same he serves on a plate in the meanwhile. The one in the plate has been aromatized at the moment with fresh garlic, olive oil and origano), more RICOTTA, olives, red sweet onions and some more dried ciliegini.

The filling roll: Slices of a massive CACIOCAVALLO CHEESE, mashed potatoes with parsley and oil, ham, more RICOTTA, more sweet onions (with a drop of lemon this time), parsley. PS: For the italians mad to me for using the term "Parmesan", sorry. It's Parmigiano, the original one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOQGu42reWE

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy high and sell "low"
Picture of archerman
posted Hide Post
Damn now I am hungry and want one of those sandwiches!

Archerman

Posts: 2486 | Location: N. Idaho | Registered: February 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Digging my passport out of the safe.

That sandwich ain't kosher, but damn, it looks good!

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30675 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
Oh my yummers ! Outstanding work of art samdwich. To do this video justice have to watch on Youtube on the large screen mode. I want one too ... !

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Amazing, wish knew what was actually in it instead of guessing. Cool

Posts: 22909 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I'm still trying to identify all the ingredients as well. Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16222 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
I just edited my post to include the ingredients list from the video's comments....enjoy Smile

quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
I'm still trying to identify all the ingredients as well. Big Grin

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That looks awesome!

Posts: 872 | Location: Louisiana and Florida | Registered: February 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
Red sweet onion or shallots?

Posts: 9042 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
Here is a great article that explains what goes into his sandwiches ...

http://www.aworldofflophouses....-maker-in-the-world/

:P

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's classic Italy, slow, slow food but, so good. Making me hungry

This guy's sandwiches are very much the exception to the rule, gratuitous by Italian-standards; the vast majority of sandwiches you'll find in Italy and most of southern Europe (Spain, Portugal & France) is usually bread, a spread of some sort and meat, general cured ham or, aged meat, very simple/basic. Northern Italy the focus is on the cheese and meat, Southern Italy, they'll have variety of tomato vinaigrettes or, some vegetable creation added since the diet is more seafood/vegetable based. American influence has certainly helped to expand the palate and get creative with a meal between bread; lots of Subway's BTW. Go to Florence and the All'Antico Vinaio's 4-shops rules the roost for sandwiches, pumping out 1000 sandos/day out of little closet-sized locations, tons of videos of people waiting for one.

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
When I die, I now know where heaven is.

The best I can muster is Baldino's here in Atlanta.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Beyond the sandwich, I love this. Eating in this culture is a social activity. You been anywhere lately where the folks who own the place and make the food interact with their customers like this? And notice the social interaction between all the folks standing around? If we could get more people here to act this way, we'd have far fewer problems...and a lot of great food. Smile

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
If we could get more people here to act this way, we'd have far fewer problems...and a lot of great food. Smile

Amen.
Live to eat, rather than eat to live.

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of p08
posted Hide Post
From when I was last in Italy. They sliced off a few hunks and slapped them on a hard roll, so damn good!

-------------------------------------
Always the pall bearer, never the corpse.

Posts: 700 | Location: Illinois | Registered: December 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Spent two years in Italia, courtesy of Uncle Sugar.
The food almost ruined me for American food. A traditional Italian meal is not just food, its an event.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16093 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old dino:
Here is a great article that explains what goes into his sandwiches ...

http://www.aworldofflophouses....-maker-in-the-world/

:P

Five Euros for the sandwich? What a deal.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20824 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
Looks like the best sandwich of all tine.
I drooled on my keyboard.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah I think they have one of those spartan cliffs they throw bad chefs off of. I even had amazing food in the airport in Italy. One of the best places to eat on earth.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Nothing efficient about that dude, looks to be incredible and worth the wait

Posts: 5323 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post