SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Wheels Stolen off 30 Hondas at Dealership
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wheels Stolen off 30 Hondas at Dealership Login/Join 
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted
That's 120 tires and rims, and 30 busted windows. Must have taken quite a while, and you would need a big truck to haul the wheels. Why breakout the passenger window when the trunk release is on the drivers side?

UNION COUNTY, N.C. - Dozens of new cars were found on jacks without wheels at the Metro Honda dealership in Union County, deputies said.

More than 30 cars were found on jacks with broken out windows.

Deputies said they broke the windows to get to the jacks in the trunks.

Investigators believe the crimes could be tied to another theft at a Car Connections including one at 4918 West Highway 74 in Monroe. Radios were stolen from the vehicles at that dealership

There is no word yet on how much the damage will cost.

http://www.wsoctv.com/news/loc...puties-say/533095825

Posts: 4057 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spinnin' Chain
Picture of Expat
posted Hide Post
Too bad they didn't put that much effort into getting a job.

Edited for grammar.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Expat,

Posts: 3265 | Location: Oregun | Registered: August 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
I've worked at dealerships since 1970 and lot theft is a way of life. Fences, no problem, cut them. Walls, no problem, scale them. On site security, well they can't be on both sides of the lot. Or better yet, they can steal from the lot they are watching. Dogs, lure them with drugged hamburger, nighty night.

One dealership I worked at, thieves came in at night, disconnected the lot lights at the access in the post, instant darkness to work in.

I blame the insurance companies for a lot of this. Wheels, tires and radios are virtually untraceable. If they refused to purchase these for use in repairs a lot of the market would disappear. Fifteen or twenty years back some insurers recognized this and refused to recycle these items. Of course when their costs went up relative to other insurers, that policy was reversed.

There was a radio theft ring broken up a few years back running between Florida and the midwest. By chance a stolen radio was replaced by the same radio stolen. Seems that a home burned CD was left in the radio, when the car owner got the car back he realized his own CD was in the player. Heard about that one in the news.

I remember the story dating back to the 1980's. Car in Detroit was stolen, front clip was removed. Body shop ordered a used clip assembly per the insurer. Body shop manager saw the clip's color matched the car. Upon further inspection they found that the hand painted pinstripes (not factory) on the clip perfectly matched in location and color to the stolen and recovered car. Another recovery.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8380 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I remember a story about 12-15 years. Some exotic expensive salvage yard was getting broken in regularly, I think it was Amarillo.

Hired security was worthless.

Security dogs were worthless, hamburger thrown over the fence made them sleepy, lazy and friendly.

The final solution was Ostriches. Yes, Ostriches. Those big birds were mean, foul tempered and mean. Really mean.

After a few nights of thieves getting the crap kicked out of them and hurt badly, the thieves moved on.

I'd love to have seen some video. Big Grin

Posts: 11983 | Location: Near Hooker Oklahoma, closer to Slapout Oklahoma | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
inside job?

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 11090 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How much can honda wheels be worth? It's not like there's an aftermarket calling for them or they have real expensive tires on them? I don't get it, 30 sets????

Posts: 21408 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One dealership I worked at out west was hit twice, both times by different ex-employees. Once burglary, the other was caught stripping trucks on the lot for tailgates.

————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8380 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
How much can honda wheels be worth? It's not like there's an aftermarket calling for them or they have real expensive tires on them? I don't get it, 30 sets????

If the wheels sell for, say $150 used and you give maybe 20 bucks, pretty good profit margin. They don't need to be expensive, just quick and easy to turn. The dealership that the lights were disabled at, the cars they hit were Grand Ams, the ones with the chrome plastic overlays over the castings. Again, turn and burn.

If the insurance company sees the factory new wheels are $500 each they may allow the repair shop $250-300 dollar range for used ones. It all comes down to most profit in the quickest time frame.

Chop shops are profitable, low overhead, high turn rate of inventory.

Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
Did they break into each car for its jack? Unless its like 10 people going all at once, I assume they didn't realize you could use the same jack on almost all cars and the other same jack on almost all trucks. Also, a $30 Harbor Freight pneumatic jack would have been a hell of a lot faster than those compact jacks. A scissor jack takes forever to raise and lower, times 4 wheels, times 30 cars!?!?! How much time does it take to break into the car, open the trunk, unscrew the spare to get the jack off? This has all the makings for a great ACT math problem.

Posts: 2601 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our neighborhood got hit recently and they targeted only Fords.

They were bold enough to take landscape blocks from some yards to use to jack up the vehicles in others. Even went as far as unscrewing light bulbs at the target houses.

I'm still shocked at the boldness as this is a typical cookie cutter neighborhood with close houses. How they did it without anyone noticing astounded me.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another trick is to wedge bricks or whatever they can find under the body, frame or suspension and deflate the tires. Pull the lug nuts off and there you are. They can get a regular production line going there with the help of battery powered tools.

Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Not making a whole lot sense to me. You have to have a a box truck or a trailer, right? Why not bring a couple of floor jacks with you? You could raise a car in just a few seconds and then go on to the next one. These guys spent a lot of time and trouble getting these scissor jacks which are time consuming to use.

Honda tires? Hey, I just bought a new Honda and they are not that fancy, believe me. Plus, a Hankook tire?

None of this makes much sense to me. But then, they did get away with it.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5134 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Recent from Michigan:http://www.mlive.com/news/jackson/index.ssf/2017/06/45_cars_broken_into_at_pinckne.html

Love the last line "looking for a link between thefts"....I doubt it was a bunch of teenagers out for thrills.

Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scuba Steve Sig:
Did they break into each car for its jack? Unless its like 10 people going all at once, I assume they didn't realize you could use the same jack on almost all cars and the other same jack on almost all trucks. Also, a $30 Harbor Freight pneumatic jack would have been a hell of a lot faster than those compact jacks. A scissor jack takes forever to raise and lower, times 4 wheels, times 30 cars!?!?! How much time does it take to break into the car, open the trunk, unscrew the spare to get the jack off? This has all the makings for a great ACT math problem.

Would it be possible to remove the jack with the car lowered all the way to the ground without any tires on it?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30901 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Maybe it wasn't the Jacks they wanted, but the wheel locks?

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
Maybe it wasn't the Jacks they wanted, but the wheel locks?
Yeah I can't imagine using a crappy OEM jack to do all of those.

Posts: 4000 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
haha they can HAVE those lousy Honda wheels. So fugly. The Accord has the worst looking oem wheels in the history of cars.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2281 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used this VIN window etching kit on our car. Also comes with some stickers that impregnate the VIN with a UV paint on the major removable body parts.

http://www.vinetching.com/do-it-yourself.html

I've also manually etched the VIN onto an inside area of the aluminum rims. This is about the best I figure one can do.

Posts: 4756 | Registered: July 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
If you're talking about the standard wheels maybe. I like the the higher line ones.

quote:
Originally posted by DonDraper:
haha they can HAVE those lousy Honda wheels. So fugly. The Accord has the worst looking oem wheels in the history of cars.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
As Extraordinary
as Everyone Else
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
I'm going through something similar with my new F-350 right now...

My truck suddenly died a couple of weeks ago and I called "Ford Cares 800 number"

They send a flatbed and tow it to the nearest dealer ( who I have been using). They replace the fuel pump and when i went to pick it up the tailgate was missing...
Do you want to guess what a new tailgate costs??? Well you'd be wrong it is $4200!! and to top it off the dealership said for me to file it on my insurance...

To say I'm pissed would be an understatement...

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6469 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post