SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Oh the Joy...Its That Time Again - Engine Out Service
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Oh the Joy...Its That Time Again - Engine Out Service Login/Join 
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted
major service coming up on the beast - bought the belt kit for $1600, need to buy 10 quarts of oil this afternoon..plus a host of other parts

and then the games begin....

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53847 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What is the "beast"?

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
my 355F1

it needs a major engine out service every five years or 15000 miles

Posts: 53847 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Eek

My neighbor at our old house had a 92 348 & a 99 355F1 both Spiders.

Engine-out on 2 F-cars.

By 'belt kit' I'm assuming it's timing belt?
Are you a DIY, or having a shop do the work?

Are these era of Ferraris super-affected (value/resale) by who/where the maintenance is done?

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 16012 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Your pics suck

Posts: 5560 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
my 355F1

Maybe it is just me but "355F1" means nothing.
15k miles requires major service????

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4245 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16133 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gjgalligan:
quote:
my 355F1

Maybe it is just me but "355F1" means nothing.
15k miles requires major service????

Ferrari F355 with the F1 transmission.
Requires the engine to be removed for (many?) major services.

Posts: 16012 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
The 355 is my favorite of the newer F-cars. But man, they can be money pits if you don't get a well-sorted one from a meticulous seller. Would love to see pics of the service work if you're DIY'ing it.

Posts: 3691 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Lee:
The 355 is my favorite of the newer F-cars. But man, they can be money pits if you don't get a well-sorted one from a meticulous seller. Would love to see pics of the service work if you're DIY'ing it.

Agreed.

For me, I'd have a 360CS.
IIRC, the 360 is still an engine-out car, but I always liked it over the 430.

The Constable
posted Hide Post
DO please post some photos!

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Holy Moses, I'm not a car guy so I had to look up some pics and ran across this humorous article on owning that particular model. Bet you can relate! Smile

Here’s Why You Should Never Buy A Ferrari F355

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
i have no sympathy Wink

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19761 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
Holy Moses, I'm not a car guy so I had to look up some pics and ran across this humorous article on owning that particular model. Bet you can relate! Smile

Here’s Why You Should Never Buy A Ferrari F355

You gotta really hate money to own one of those. But then, if you can't afford two Ferraris, you probably can't afford one. I've driven a few and it's a real thrill. But I'm always happy to hand it back to its owner, for whom money is no object.

Posts: 3691 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
You bought it. No complaining.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53249 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I will be documenting a lot of the service with photos - hoping to get started on it in about 10 days...I can do some of the disassembly and re-assembly myself at nights and weekends, but I don't have all the tools to get into the weeds

I helped on the least service and learned a lot about the car

posted Hide Post
quote:
I will be documenting a lot of the service with photos - hoping to get started on it in about 10 days...I can do some of the disassembly and re-assembly myself at nights and weekends, but I don't have all the tools to get into the weeds

I helped on the least service and learned a lot about the car

Clearly you didn't learn enough if you still own it Wink

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
This is me tearing down a 2.7l 911 engine. But my buddy's '71 Daytona is in the background.

Picture of Flyboyrv6
posted Hide Post
If you think owning a Ferrari is expensive, buy an airplane and watch your bank balance disappear as if by magic.

Posts: 828 | Registered: January 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
You bought it. No complaining.

This.

Posts: 11444 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post