SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Rand Paul assaulted (November, 2017)
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rand Paul assaulted (November, 2017) Login/Join 
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:
Originally posted by creslin:
How does a random ordinary person pay something like that?
I know I sure don't have half a mil layin around waiting for a fee.

He's an anesthesiologist. He can afford it.

BINGO and it will still hurt the SOB.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16219 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EasyFire
posted Hide Post
He should also be required to stay 1000 feet away from Paul. If that means to have to sell his house, well so be it.

I know I would not want an unhappy neighbor living next to me. Probable daily stress and fear of him going off again perhaps more seriously injuring or killing Paul.

EasyFire

EasyFire [AT] zianet.com
----------------------------------
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Colorado Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
Nationwide Agent for >
US LawShield > https://www.texaslawshield.com...p.php?promo=ondemand
CCW Safe > www.ccwsafe.com/CCHPI

Posts: 1441 | Location: Denver Area Colorado | Registered: December 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by creslin:
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
https://townhall.com/tipsheet/...-settlement-n2540549

The man who violently attacked Senator Rand Paul while he was mowing his lawn in Kentucky, leaving him severely injured, has been ordered by a jury to pay $580,000 in damages .

A Kentucky jury on Wednesday awarded $375,000 in punitive damages and $200,000 for pain and suffering, plus $7,834 for medical expenses

How does a random ordinary person pay something like that?
I know I sure don't have half a mil layin around waiting for a fee.

Since it was a crime insurance won’t pay for it.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4835 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I have not seen anything that indicates that Dr. Boucher served his jail time.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30673 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
Senator Rand Paul:

Part of my lung damaged by the 2017 assault had to be removed by surgery this weekend.

The doctors, nurses, & staff at Vanderbilt University Medical Center were great. I should be able to return to the Senate in September

Posts: 19576 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
Senator Rand Paul:

Part of my lung damaged by the 2017 assault had to be removed by surgery this weekend.

Let the civil suits begin!

Posts: 7556 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bytes:
Let the civil suits begin!

Dude, over and done with months ago. See thread above.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1957 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Loswsmith:
Dude, over and done with months ago. See thread above.

My bad, thanks for the correction.

Posts: 7556 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Good things come to those who wait!!! Federal Appeals Court rules that Senator Paul's assailant's sentence too lenient!

quote:

Sixth Circuit: 30-day sentence for Rand Paul attacker is too lenient

Two years, six broken ribs, several bouts of pneumonia, and one hernia surgery later, Rand Paul might finally get the justice he deserves.

In 2017, the Kentucky Republican was attacked by a neighbor while mowing his lawn. He ended up in the hospital and has been in and out several times since. Recently, Paul announced he had to have part of his lung removed due to the damage it sustained during the assault.

Paul’s neighbor, on the other hand, walked away with a mere 30-day prison sentence, which the federal Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals declared “substantively unreasonable” in a ruling released today.

The recommended sentencing for Rene Boucher, 60, who is still Paul’s next-door neighbor, was 21 months of jail time, although the maximum sentence for assaulting a member of Congress is 10 years. But the district court ruled that because this had been an “isolated,” “first time action” that was “strictly a dispute between neighbors,” and because of Boucher’s “excellent background,” Boucher deserved a minor sentence.

The federal government appealed Boucher’s 30-day sentencing, arguing that the seriousness of Paul’s injuries should necessitate a harsher sentencing. The Sixth Circuit agreed and argued Boucher’s personal background — his education, family, and community service — should not have had anything to do with his sentencing.

“These factors are disfavored for good reason,” the court wrote in its opinion ordering the district court to re-sentence Boucher. “To prioritize a defendant’s education, professional success, and standing in the community would give an additional leg up to defendants who are already in a privileged position ... That is why Congress and the [federal sentencing] Guidelines oppose a class-based system where accumulated wealth, education, and status serve as credits against a criminal sentence.”

The Sixth Circuit is correct. The only thing about Boucher that mattered was his willingness to attack another man — over the appearance of his yard, no less. Did Boucher’s college degree stop him from tackling Paul into the ground? Did his habitual community service stop him from hitting Paul over and over again?

Actions have consequences. Surely, the district court knows this. It’s time they held Boucher accountable for what he did because, right now, the only person suffering the consequences of Boucher’s attack is Rand Paul.

https://www.washingtonexaminer...acker-is-too-lenient

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
This is great news! Now that the spotlight is on he will get a sentence more in line with the 21 months recommended.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
https://hotair.com/archives/jo...l-13-months-assault/

Back in 2017, Sen. Rand Paul’s neighbor, Rene Boucher, attacked the Senator on his own property, allegedly over a dispute about lawn clippings. The attack left Sen. Paul with several broken ribs. Last August, Paul had a portion of his lung surgically removed because of damage caused by the attack. Boucher was eventually charged with one count of assaulting a member of Congress.

The appeals court reviewed the criminal case and compared it to other federal assault cases involving defendants with little or no criminal history, relying on national statistics showing defendants with the lowest criminal history category under federal sentencing guidelines received an average sentence of 26 months for an assault conviction.

The man who tackled Republican U.S. Sen. Rand Paul in 2017 in anger over Paul piling yard waste near their shared property line has been sentenced to another 13 months behind bars or on home detention…

U.S. District Judge Matthew F. Leitman imposed the additional punishment in a hearing Monday. He sentenced Boucher to another eight months in prison but took off 30 days for the time he already served, and six months on home confinement.

Assistant U.S. Attorney Brad Shepard had sought at least 21 months for Boucher. He objected to the lower sentence and indicated the government may appeal.

Boucher lost in civil court last year and a jury awarded Sen. Paul a $580,000 judgment.

Posts: 19576 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post