SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Question for those familiar with Route 66
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question for those familiar with Route 66 Login/Join 
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted
I'm planning a Road Trip through the contiguous states.

I want to incorporate the most worthwhile portion of Route 66 that spans across one or two states. If it's real important to span three states to get the flavor, I'll have to cut out in the middle as I want to do something else in each state. Hence, at the most, I figure two states as I'll do my other things in the first state, get on Route 66, pop out at the next state and do my things for that state.

I plan on picking up Route 66 on my eastern direction travelling through, Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico, and Arizona.

Where would you suggest I pick up Route 66 and where would I get off and what are some of the sights that I'll see?

Thanks for your suggestions.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 20081 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
I really liked Kingman, AZ and the eastbound stretch from there. Good memories.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 11109 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Echo Arizona, we lived in N Arizona for quite awhile. I don’t know how good the guidebooks are, but there are several nice stretches of old 66, especially between Flagstaff and Williams. Try to hit Flag and Williams on a weekend, during the summer there’s a good chance that a car club of some sort will be lined up in town—one weekend might be Tri-5 Chevys, or Corvettes, or T-Birds, or...

Ashfork to Seligman (Snow Cap Drive-in) and points west—if I recall, lots of 66 to Hualapai and on to Kingman (birthplace of Andy Devine Cool).

Posts: 13600 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Take the risk or
lose the chance
posted Hide Post
Spend a night at the restored Blue Swallow Motel in Tucumcari, NM. Have a piece of pie or lunch at the Adrian Midpoint Cafe in Adrian, TX, across the road from the actual Historic Route 66 Midpoint Marker.

----------------------------------------
“The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”

Posts: 1475 | Location: RR12 | Registered: February 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post
http://meteorcrater.com

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
- John Wayne in "The Shootist"

Posts: 3488 | Location: California | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
I would do NM and TX. You gotta hit the Cadillac Ranch in Amarillo TX just because it really is so iconic in its imagery.

There's also some great stuff in McLean TX, such as the first Phillips 66 Station and the Devil's Rope Barbed Wire / Route 66 Museum.

Posts: 5606 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Observer
Picture of phxtoad
posted Hide Post
Flagstaff and Williams in AZ...

phxtoad

"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Posts: 425 | Location: Tempe, Arizona | Registered: October 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
I grew up in a little town in Ok. that used Route 66 as our main downtown street.

A lot of info. at these sites:

https://www.travelok.com/route...QEAAYASAAEgI3sfD_BwE

https://www.nps.gov/nr/travel/route66/maps66.html

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Being from St. Louis, and having a daughter at the University of Tulsa, I'm familiar with Route 66 through Missouri and Oklahoma.

Sadly... much of it is gone but some things remain.

St. Louis is the largest city along Route 66 between Chicago and Los Angeles, and there are some sites related to the Mother Road within the region. Some of the streets have new names, but all of these locations are part of the Route 66 journey.

https://explorestlouis.com/dis...oute-66-in-st-louis/

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24644 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
For true nostalgia, make certain you do it in a Vette like these guys did. Cool

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2809 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
I can speak to the Arizona end of it. at the east end of the state, Winslow. It's a shitty little town but there are a couple of redeeming values. La Posado, is an old restored hotel built by the railroad for bringing tourists out to the Grand Canyon. If you don't stay the night there, at least eat in the Turquoise Room restaurant, dinner entrees include elk and buffalo. Also there is The Root Beer Stand, non descript drive thru but they make their own root beer which is delicious. There are some tacky Rout 66 themed gift shops and there is the Standing on the Corner statue. Just don't stand to close at night it's basically a public urinal and vomitorium for the natives. Winslow is also a good basecamp for exploring the Painted Desert and Petrified Forest.

http://laposada.org

West of Flagstaff is Williams, kind of a cool little town that claims their fame on being the last town on Route 66 to be bypassed by I-40. It's also the depot for the Grand Canyon Railroad if you're wanting to go north and explore the canyon.

West of there is the stretch between Seligman and Kingman that goes through Peach Springs. This is the stretch that served as a lot of the inspiration for the animators of Pixar's Cars. Beautiful drive but also kind of depressing to see the slow decline of the towns along the route.

West of Kingman is a stretch that goes through Oatman. Oatman is an old mining town that had a second boom with Route 66. It's kind of turned into a tourist attraction and artist colony now with wild burros wandering the streets. The Oatman Hotel is a 2 story adobe that houses the honeymoon suite of Clark Gable and Carol Lombard. From there you can drop down into Bullhead City and Laughlin and stay on the Colorado River.

Have fun.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11890 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I've seen a few 48-state routes proposed by others and would be interested in seeing what you have in mind.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27911 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
If any of you Route 66 fans use Facebook and don't already, consider following my friend "Roamin Rich"

https://www.facebook.com/rich.dinkela

He does a lot to support Route 66 and is a wealth of information.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15864 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HighZonie
posted Hide Post
...... and don't forget Winona

* Diligentia Vis Celeritis *
"Thus those skilled in war subdue the enemy's army without battle .... They conquer by strategy."
- Sun Tsu - The Art of War

"Fast is Fine, but Accuracy is Everything" - Wyatt Earp

Posts: 2900 | Location: Arizona Highlands - Pine Tree Country | Registered: March 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
I've seen a few 48-state routes proposed by others and would be interested in seeing what you have in mind.

flashguy

This is the big picture route I'm planning. It's based on this guy's work. I've changed it to reflect that I'm hoping to start late summer / fall so I'll start clockwise with the northern route starting from CA but I'll include Utah and Colorado in the first part to avoid going through them when it might be cold and snowy. If I was starting spring, I would go counter clockwise from CA.

I'm going to start with the base line of the guy's landmarks combined with the same guy's popular U.S. cities. A third layer is to add food places that has been on the food or travel channels. I'll also replace with or add other items that I want state by state.

I do have three personal stops already on my list: 1) Para's Crave Pie in Duluth,GA, 2) Dream House Country Inn in VT that I got a recommendation from SigForum back in 2014 and I want to return, and 3) Anthem Veterans Memorial in Phoenix, AZ.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 20081 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post