SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Wall bumper guards that don't look like crap?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wall bumper guards that don't look like crap? Login/Join 
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I would use a piece of oak board to match the oak seat and use it to mount the seat.
Make the mounting piece wide enough to place a door type stop on each side to limit the swing or a piece of oak as a stop.

Posts: 11889 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
perhaps you should cushion the seat instead of the wall ? attach a thin buffer to the seat edge where it would contact the wall.

Posts: 174 | Registered: February 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Not a solution, I've not seen folding barstools like those, very cool. That said, what with the potential weight on them and the multiplying of levered force when swung out, mounting these must take considerable hardware and anchor structure, no?

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8544 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
Delrin can be shaped like tile.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
I assume there would not be a lot of force in pushing the seat back and the stop would act like a door stop.

Until one of the kids swings it... Eek Mad

quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:
Not a solution, I've not seen folding barstools like those, very cool. That said, what with the potential weight on them and the multiplying of levered force when swung out, mounting these must take considerable hardware and anchor structure, no?

It does. The lag bolts are 6” long and go through columns made of three 2x4s inside the kitchen island. The island also has hefty dog legs to ensure that all three occupied stools don’t start to lever the island off the floor. All of that structure is anchored to the slab.

GREAT ideas so far. I hadn’t thought of many of these.

This is all for my new house. It should be done by the end of February, so there will be lots of photos.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17597 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
Probably screw a block of wood next to the hinge to act as a stop. Should't be able to see it when the stool is closed, and not too much when swung out.

Posts: 7444 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post

Perhaps decorative cork.....

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29905 | Location: Norris Lake, TN | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bossman:
perhaps you should cushion the seat instead of the wall ? attach a thin buffer to the seat edge where it would contact the wall.

I was thinking of something like this. Router a 1/8 inch groove around the edge of the seat and fill it with a clear or black o-ring, like a hydraulic piston seal.

Posts: 278 | Registered: October 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Personally, I wouldn’t use rubber or synthetic. I would get These hollow wall anchors , and A few of these.
I’d pick up some nice cabinet knobs. I would have small cabinet knobs sticking out from the wall and use those as stoppers. The drywall won’t dent, and unless someone is an asshat and slamming the stools into the walls, it wouldn’t break the drywall.

quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
I'd fly to Turks and Caicos with live ammo falling out of my pockets before getting within spitting distance of NJ with a firearm.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4322 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I think I would cut a thin piece of hardwood the width of the slats, 1/4" thick, maybe thinner. Cut it 3" or so and bevel the ends. Paint to match, then mount them with some nice looking hardware. View it as a sacrificial part, if they start to look ugly, replace them.

Of course there's the car seat cover argument. You're making it look a little uglier now to protect something you won't see anyway. You could just do nothing and if they get dented, then add some protection that will also cover the dents.

Posts: 21345 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A hinge pin doorstop on the lower pin should do what you want.

they come in several styles you can get them on amazon

bumper style

https://www.amazon.com/Better-...d=1580052225&sr=8-39

Hing limiter style

https://www.amazon.com/Perfect...d=1580052391&sr=8-42

Posts: 4777 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

slice off a piece of poodle noodle , there must be a color you prefer

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55175 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and this little pig said:
posted Hide Post
I like Darthfuster's idea! That would look really sharp, IMO!!

Posts: 3406 | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:

slice off a piece of poodle noodle , there must be a color you prefer

LMAO. I love a good pool noodle- one of the only socially acceptable ways to beat your children.

That cork is awesome! I had no idea such a thing existed.

I agree with cas; it is likely that any solution would be considered sacrificial.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17597 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Can the hinging mechanism be set so the seats will just drift close? Would upholstered and padded seats help?

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8544 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Can the hinging mechanism be set so the seats will just drift close? Would upholstered and padded seats help?

Perhaps there's a way to add tension/friction to the hinge to where they are in a bind rather than freely swing. That way, you would need a constant force to push them.

Posts: 7444 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How about using the rubber bumpers linked to in your first post, wrapped in leather? Then you get the soft, resilient impact point, without it being utilitarian looking.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2105 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
posted Hide Post
quote:

I’d rather keep the seats bare wood. Modifying the hinge would be tricky. It’s a pretty stout, simple design.

The bumpers, if placed near the hinge as stops, don’t sound like a bad idea.