SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Wall bumper guards that don't look like crap?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wall bumper guards that don't look like crap? Login/Join 
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted
I'm going to have a setup with swing out bar stools, similar to:

I'd like to mount a bumper guard strip at seat height along the wall where the stool seats may eventually put dents. They are oak.

All I'm finding so far are black rubber/vinyl or clear, like this. I figured with all the things that can be done with synthetics nowadays, there has to be someone making similar items that look like wood, stone, or anything other than plastic/rubber. There are quite a few ways to word this in Google, plus there are probably other products that could be used for the same purpose.

Any ideas? The wall is painted drywall, so I'd likley just use brads or similar to attach.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17597 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
A decorative piece of tile at each impact spot?

Posts: 5536 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
How about a swing-out lever with a pad on the end on the underside of the seat? It would be out of sight and could be positioned that it just sticks out a tiny bit when in the swung-out position.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16632 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
A decorative piece of tile at each impact spot?

Tile made of what? Is there such a thing as rubber deco tiles? If the impact sites would be spaced in a way that this wouldn’t look odd, then perhaps.

quote:
Originally posted by WaterburyBob:
How about a swing-out lever with a pad on the end on the underside of the seat? It would be out of sight and could be positioned that it just sticks out a tiny bit when in the swung-out position.

Interesting idea. That would take some tinkering, so I’d prefer something a bit simpler, but I’ll keep that in mind. I would have to ensure they don’t snag on the sitter’s pants.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17597 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
What are the model of swing out seats?
Look at a way to limit the amount of swing by putting an adjustable stop at the mounting.

Posts: 11889 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
Look at a way to limit the amount of swing by putting an adjustable stop at the mounting.

https://www.benchcrafted.com/swingawayseat

The only problem with that would be trying to keeping it from looking funky. There isn’t really a place to hide it. Perhaps I could mill something from a block of steel and coat it in black, maybe even a dense black plastic. The mounting scheme would need work. It would also have to be a fairly stout design to keep the cast iron stool from busting it.

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
The impact point should be very small. Instead of a strip the whole length maybe a round door knob type impact protector similar to this:
https://www.amazon.com/Efbock-...JT23VQWTAYW40PHZ89BN

Posts: 9798 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
The impact point should be very small. Instead of a strip the whole length maybe a round door knob type impact protector similar to this:
https://www.amazon.com/Efbock-...JT23VQWTAYW40PHZ89BN

That was my first thought, but those would be pretty visible on the wall. I figured a good compromise would be the long strip idea, since I can make that look more decorative.

Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
Looking at the video it would seem you could put a piece of black nylon on the base behind the mounting hinge(s) it would be unobtrusive and limit the swing.

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 739 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Linoleum tiles come in a variety of colors and patterns and you could use a wood trim to spruce it up. If you used the right pattern any dent may never show.

Posts: 74 | Registered: April 19, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Large clear rubber bump stops

I'd consider something like this. Nobody but you will ever notice them, you can pick a size/thickness that works for you, cheap and can be replaced from the sheet you have behind bar when one gets knocked off.

I've used these in varying sizes for this sort of application in several homes now.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12670 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hillbilly Wannabe
posted Hide Post
What about traditional wooden chair rail, found in the wood trim aisle at your HD or Lowes?

Posts: 2555 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Use strips of gel-sticking carpet.

Posts: 17253 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
It is possible to drill and tap a hole and use a set screw to adjust the travel and locked in place with a nut. Then a nylon cap put over the screw projection.

I assume there would not be a lot of force in pushing the seat back and the stop would act like a door stop.

Posts: 11889 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:

quote:
Originally posted by WaterburyBob:

Interesting idea. That would take some tinkering, so I’d prefer something a bit simpler, but I’ll keep that in mind. I would have to ensure they don’t snag on the sitter’s pants.

Door stop, perhaps, mounted to a wood block that is glued to the underside of the seat. Slight (like, quarter inch) protrusion from under the seat. When seats closed, no one noticed. When seats open, every is sitting on it and no one notices, except the toddler who figures out that springs make noise. Smile

Cheap and easy. Easy to mock up with double sided tape. Glue the block so that if you change your mind later (man, that kid is annoying), saw then sand smooth, no hole to fill.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2390 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 41:

THIS, put an adjustment stop into the wall near the pivoting point of the swing arm. That way the frame hits the stop, and nothing touches the wall.

Posts: 21408 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It just put a simple wood rail at the right height. Same material as the seats.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11164 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Any type of horizontal trim would break up the vertices lines and look bad. You could go with decorative tile placed in several spots with two of them perfectly placed to double as a stop. I wouldn’t just do two that would look weird.

I would go for limiting the hinge travel. No matter what you put on the wall it will stick out like a sore thumb and with enough impacts will start to look bad along with the impact area of the seat.

Posts: 4000 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He doesn't have the vertical lines as I understand it (its a similar to photo and he says "painted drywall). I don't think short horizontal stops of the same material as the seats would look bad at all compared to bumpers. You could jazz them up a bit by routing a cutout so the seat top actually fit into it as a decorative element.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11164 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
He doesn't have the vertical lines as I understand it (its a similar to photo and he says "painted drywall). I don't think short horizontal stops of the same material as the seats would look bad at all compared to bumpers. You could jazz them up a bit by routing a cutout so the seat top actually fit into it as a decorative element.

In that case it would look fine. I would then be more concerned with constant contact. It kind of depends if it’s something that will get used by kids every day or will it be more of an adult seating area on occasion. I just think back to me and my brother with a fairly heavy swinging chair and drywall being a bad combo even with some trim to protect it.

Posts: 4000 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post