SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How To Convert HDMI Output To RCA Component Input?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How To Convert HDMI Output To RCA Component Input? Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted
I want to connect a third generation Apple TV device (HDMI output) to an oldie but goodie Sony WEGA TV. The Sony is a CRT model, I think best resolution is 480i, the rear panel has RCA input jacks.

What do I need, to accomplish this?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30693 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3663 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A quick Google shows plenty of options for a HDMI to rca converter.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=hdm...ref=nb_sb_ss_fb_1_17

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38688 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, progress has truly been made of those adapters properly convert a digital HDCP HD signal to an analog HD signal. In years past, such achievement approximated the holy grail.

I had an old plasma that only had component inputs (in addition to SD inputs such as composite and s-video). One of my reasons to replace it was connectivity - too few new devices (Roku, BluRay, etc) were being produced with component out.

At that time, a mythical adapter existed abroad and legal importation was prohibited. I can’t recall the brand.

If you truly seek an HD signal, you probably should bite the bullet and replace your HDTV. You might have more flexibility with SD, especially composite, but who wants such today?

Posts: 481 | Registered: June 24, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Best Buy most likely has them on the rack.

Posts: 53194 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FHHM213:

you probably should bite the bullet and replace your HDTV.
That will happen when the house renovation has moved along a bit, but for the short term, I just want to return the digital tuning box that the cable company is charging $9.00 / month for, and replace it with some streaming input to the TV in that room.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30693 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Best Buy most likely has them on the rack.
There is a Best Buy location about ten minutes from our house. I really hate that place, but I'll hold my breath and swing by there, see what they have.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Just make sure you can return it. I tried to do almost the exact same thing When the HDMI jacks stopped working on my TV. My cable box had RCA outputs so it was good to go but I tried a converter for my Apple TV... Didn’t work despite the device calming it would.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4130 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by FHHM213:

you probably should bite the bullet and replace your HDTV.
That will happen when the house renovation has moved along a bit, but for the short term, I just want to return the digital tuning box that the cable company is charging $9.00 / month for, and replace it with some streaming input to the TV in that room.

You might try to find an older Roku that has composite outputs. See below link.

Normally the issue with HDMI adapters relates to the copyright protection (HDCP) that is facilitated via the digital connection.

Posts: 481 | Registered: June 24, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
I sell these by iSimple, and they work:

https://www.amazon.com/iSimple...id=1590917573&sr=8-1

You can try a local car audio shop if BestBuy doesn’t have something. Retail is $70ish

Posts: 3437 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
For a little more than the cost of a converter, you could have a 32 inch flat screen 1080p. Seriously. And you don't have to go to Best Buy.

https://www.walmart.com/browse...0825_2489948_7156390

Throw that Sony away.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5054 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
HDMI has a sound component in the harnesses. Once connected to the source you'll likely loose the sound as the component video doesn't have sound.

If you get a cable, make sure it has sound and can be returned in the event it isn't compatible.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14039 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:
For a little more than the cost of a converter, you could have a 32 inch flat screen 1080p. Seriously. And you don't have to go to Best Buy.

https://www.walmart.com/browse...0825_2489948_7156390

Throw that Sony away.

I have two of those TCL Roku TV's, they are pretty awesome for $118

Posts: 5332 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:
For a little more than the cost of a converter, you could have a 32 inch flat screen 1080p.

Throw that Sony away.

This ^^^^^

I'm about the last person in the world who'll toss something that's still usable. (I saw PHPaul's "I'm beginning to suspect I may have issues with hoarding..." and just laughed.) But "usable," to me, means actually usable, and that "square" CRT TV won't be very usable with a modern streaming device where all the content will be presented in a 16:9 aspect ratio.

(At least I'm assuming it's square. Before plasma and LCD started becoming available, I only ever saw one wide-screen CRT TV. It weighed 700 lbs.!)

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Staples takes old CRT TV’s and monitors for free whether they work or not. Not necessarily directed at V-tail, just a general FYI. Wink

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3969 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
In discussions of HDMI content playback via composite (i.e HDMI cable conversion to old tech: video signal on RCA jack video connection, audio on two (R/L) audio connection) is there any impact of the copy protection tech applied to many/most HDMI content?

I thought (and I may be wrong - not an expert in this) that converting an HDMI digital signal to analog was not always simple, due to copy protection circuitry and logic.

In other words, is the OP at risk of getting perfectly functioning cable connections that then get flagged and stopped by copy protection circuitry, when trying to play protected DVDs/BDs etc? Or am I out to lunch here?

Posts: 15033 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Many of those converters, almost entirely made in China, strip HDCP (HDMI Copy Protection) from the HDMI stream.

As such, they're not licensed products. I'm kind of surprised the HDMI Licensing people haven't been all over Amazon, eBay, etc., getting these products removed.

However, in this case it may not be an issue, being as the result of the conversion from HDMI -> component or composite video + audio, is low-definition analog, rather than high-definition digital.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I have had several suggestions to trash the SONY CRT TV and replace it with a flat screen.

I have posted, above, that the flat screen is (was) already in the plans once the renovation work that is being done, is complete.

My goal for the immediate short term, until the work is complete and we can put a flat screen in that room, is to be able to drop the cable connection for that room, stop paying the cable company nine bucks / month for their tuning box, and stream via an Apple TV which is sitting on the shelf, ready to use.

So yes, we are going to replace the CRT with a flat screen, but no, it will not be until the contractor finishes his work.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:

Staples takes old CRT TV’s and monitors for free whether they work or not.
I think that our handyman will be happy to have it. If not, we'll just put it out by the curb the night before trash pickup. Guaranteed, it will have disappeared long before the city trash truck gets here. Wink

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים