SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ram front bearing assmbly?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ram front bearing assmbly? Login/Join 
Knowing a thing or two
about a thing or two
Picture of hray
posted
My front right bearing went bad on my 2014 4x4 at 95,500. So got it replaced today and checked the driver side and it seemed to be fine. I only did the right as I am going on hunting trip and didn't want to spend any more cash than I had to. I replaced with OEM from dealer and did it in my driveway. This brings me to a couple of questions because it's the first I've done on my truck. How long should they last on stock rims and tire size? It's $400 bucks a side and was thinking it should go way past 100k miles on primarily highway miles. Also is there a cheaper but equal quality bearing assembly company that I can look into for the drivers side when I do it again. Thanks. Hray

P226 NSWG
P220 W. German
P239 SAS gen2
P6 1980 W. German
P228 Nickel
P365XL
M400 SRP

Posts: 1148 | Location: South Miami Dade | Registered: May 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
I've used Timken bearings in the past on my own cars.

Stay away from the private label "white box" Chinese ones. The car dealership I used to work at offered those as a "economical alternative" to O.E. bearings. We had them go defective in the parking lot, usual lifespan was a bit over a year, long enough for the auto parts store's warranty to expire. And of course, no labor allowance so the customer would get hammered again for labor. You would disclose this orally and written on the repair order but the usual in one ear and out the other ear.........only thing the customer heard was the price.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8405 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ken226
posted Hide Post
Assuming your talking about the spindle bearings, ive seen many last 300,000 miles of hard use, and ive seen a few shit the bed after a few thousand miles.

I think, in general, the oem quality spindle bearings will last a very long time, but your at the mercy of everyone in a very long chain from the iron mine to the parts supplier. Lots of oppertunies for a defect to end up in an otherwise good part.

Very likely, the oem bearing is made by one of the big few makers. Whether or not it came from Timken, Detroit, NSK or SKF, itll probably last for the rest of the trucks usable life.

My favorite bearing maker is NSK. I put NSK spindle bearings in my cnc mill that are rated to run at 15000rpm with less that 2/10,000 inch of runout.

That spec was their max tolerance, their actual runout was less than my equipment could measure. Their bearings consistently excell.

I wouldnt hesitate to run Timken either. Top notch producer.

Posts: 1563 | Location: WA | Registered: December 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
As a layman, curious, how did you diagnosis it as the bearings ?

My 2010 has some noise from the front end and some ever so slight vibration in the steering wheel.

Thought my tires were just wearing unevenly as I just had them rotated but now I’m not so sure....

0:01

Posts: 4286 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing a thing or two
about a thing or two
Picture of hray
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by x0225095:

My 2010 has some noise from the front end and some ever so slight vibration in the steering wheel.

Thought my tires were just wearing unevenly as I just had them rotated but now I’m not so sure....

I could hear a dragging noise at slower speeds and break pedal didn't change the noise. Jacked front tire off the ground and rotated it. You could hear dragging/grinding in there. brakes where fine and not hanging up. Replaced no more noise.

P226 NSWG
P220 W. German
P239 SAS gen2
P6 1980 W. German
P228 Nickel
P365XL
M400 SRP

Posts: 1148 | Location: South Miami Dade | Registered: May 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
SKF also makes some very good bearings. Headquarters in Sweden, 130 plants around the world. One here in Hanover, PA, where I live. I have toured the plant - I was impressed. Would have no qualms using their product anywhere I needed it.

Posts: 2161 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quiet observer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by x0225095:

Have your tie rod ends checked. That was developing into death wobble in my 04.

Semper Fidelis

Posts: 985 | Location: Pocatello, Idaho | Registered: March 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just replaced the right bearing assembly on my 2009 Ram. It was making a constant squeaking noise and intermittent groaning noises. The backside of the assembly had turned black, the bearing on the other side had no discoloration. The truck doesn't get driven much anymore so I just bought the duralast brand from autozone for $125. Hopefully it'll last for several years.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3634 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing a thing or two
about a thing or two
Picture of hray
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the feed back fellas. Now that I'm a little more educated in the bearing assembly company's I'll be better prepared for and if/when the driver side gives me trouble. Found the Timken for less than half the price I paid from Dealer. I knew that I was overpaying from the Dealer but do to me leaving Sunday for archery season in Ga. I needed to get it done. Thanks again. HRay

P226 NSWG
P220 W. German
P239 SAS gen2
P6 1980 W. German
P228 Nickel
P365XL
M400 SRP

posted Hide Post
I’ve used Timken when I’ve replaced them on my vehicles, never a problem. Be sure to do the races at the same time. You can purchase a cheap driver set or rent one from the chain box stores for a day or two.

As far as checking the bearings. Generally you can lift the wheel in question off the ground and check for play by trying to rock the wheel assembly. Any play and your bearings are toast or they weren’t set correctly if you just installed new ones.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
I was burned by one of those Chinese hub and bearing assemblies years ago.

Needed one ASAP, could not wait for Monday to get one from work. Local parts house had just started carrying private label bearings. The manager who I known since 1967 assured me that they were O.E. quality.

Installed it, out of the box the ABS light came on. Called him Monday morning, he exchanged it.

This one was O.K., no light, no noise. Well, for six months or so it was. Christmas Eve I hear a scraping noise. As it is now winter, take it in to the shop for what I assume was a brake job. Tech calls me out to look at the car. Yep, brakes fine, China hub and bearing, about 3/4" slop.

Pull hub and bearing, install Delco. Take China's finest back day after Christmas for refund. No more of them for me.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8405 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
MattW These do not come in a race and bearing format, but a sealed unit. It is a complete hub assembly, no adjustment, except for amount of torque on axle nut.

Posts: 438 | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Oldrider
posted Hide Post
Good quality sealed bearing hubs are available here.
https://www.rockauto.com/
Read carefully about each item. Some are probably chinkinese, but the quality brands are clearly identified. And at a much better price than a dealership.

Posts: 360 | Location: Outinthesticks | Registered: October 08, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
H.O.F.I.S
posted Hide Post
Just be ready to replace the other side also. Bearings wear from revolutions, both wheels have spun the same number of times.

"I'm sorry, did I break your concentration"?

Posts: 1513 | Location: Above water | Registered: September 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Timken. I don’t buy anything else.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 4018 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post