SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Recommend a good camera $500 and under
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommend a good camera $500 and under Login/Join 
Protect Your Nuts
posted Hide Post
My travel camera is an Olympus TG-5. It takes good pictures and has so far proven to be indestructible. I think I heard Olympus is coming out with a TG-6 sometime this summer though.

https://www.amazon.com/Olympus...ix=olympus+tg&sr=8-7

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"deserves" ain't got nothin to do with it.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posts: 2696 | Location: VA, mostly | Registered: June 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Take a look at the Canon Powershot line.

They have cameras in various shapes and sizes and budgets.

If you can go to a camera store and handle a few.

For travel, I use either one of pocket ones like the G9 or my full-size DSLR.

It depends on what you want to carry around.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=can...ref=nb_sb_ss_sc_1_17

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
The best-performing mobile phone cameras currently available can take excellent pictures - provided you have decent light and you can capture the image you want with a wide-angle lens. (There are some multiple-camera phones now that have one camera with a wide-angle lens and one with a standard or slightly telephoto lens, but the focal lengths are still quite limited.)

A better camera and better (or a wider variety of) lenses won't make you a better photographer, but if you know how to use them, they WILL give you compositional options you didn't have before and increase the range of conditions in which you can capture good pictures.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
I also recommend a micro 4/3 camera if you are interested in being able to change and add lenses. I have older models with the EPL-2 and GF3.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7071 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The last 8-years, I've been using a Canon SD880, it's for a majority of photos and I can play just with exposure settings and various pre-sets. Its very small, fits into my pants pockets and has enough setting where I can play around. I also use my iPhone when traveling, besides phones calls, texting, it gets used mainly for quick-shot photos. If you're looking for really, high-pixels, lens variability and big zoom, than you need to look at a DSLR...and maybe a class or, two to familiarize yourself with what you got.

There's A LOT of compact cameras on the market. If all you're looking is to take snap shots, your camera on your smartphone is more than capable. When my parents went to Europe, they left the camera back at home and just used their phones. They know the functions, aren't looking to adjust exposure settings and found a few photo apps where they could have some fun. They've since taken a few photos and had canvas prints of them made at Costco. If you're set on getting a new camera, I'd focus in on Canon, Sony and Panasonic...all three have a great range of compacts, just understand what features you're looking for. My Canon is getting close to being replaced, and one of the Panasonic Lumix models is likely where I'm going. Take a simple photography class so you can gain some understanding of how to take photos, rather than just shooting away and hoping something turns out well. Practice too, gotta practice.

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From Ken Rockwell:

It's a killer camera; ultralight and takes awesome photos, for only $447 complete with a great lens!

Dollar for dollar, the Nikon D3500 is the best camera you can buy.

No quarter
.308/.223

Posts: 2084 | Location: Central Florida.  | Registered: March 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
ah yes, Ken Rockwell on the X70...

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
good pull , 911boss looks great.

If I took 4 x as many pictures I'd be in on that camera

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54651 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
The reviews here are always the first place I check when hunting for new camera gear.

Then, I go here to compare different makes and models.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
Ditto. I bought my wife a D3200 (a precursor to the D3500) a couple of years ago and I use hers more than my D7100. Hers is smaller and lighter (doesn't have the built in focusing motor like my D7100 but thats ok). I put my 18-200mm lens on it most of the time and thats it. Great camera, not much money.

quote:
Originally posted by tleddy:
From Ken Rockwell:

It's a killer camera; ultralight and takes awesome photos, for only $447 complete with a great lens!

Dollar for dollar, the Nikon D3500 is the best camera you can buy.

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
A used D90 and lens.

https://www.keh.com/shop/nikon...amera-body-only.html

https://www.keh.com/shop/nikon...ens-for-nikon-f.html

KEH's grading system is super conservative. EX or EX+ will be in damn near perfect condition.

This is a DSLR. If you are camera-ignorant, a point and shoot may be better, unless you are willing to spend a little time to learn.

But this outfit will do everything you want and more. And it is inexpensive.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and this little pig said:
posted Hide Post
I'm a camera guy, having multiple Nikon films cameras and a couple Nikon Digital cameras. When my wife got me an Android Moto Z, she got me a Hasselblad camera that mounts on the back of the phone. It is a decent substitute for a camera if you need to travel light. However, if weight is no problem, I still prefer a digital camera and post-process on the PC. I can do a heck of a lot more shooting in RAW.

Posts: 3399 | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by odin:
I'm a camera guy, having multiple Nikon films cameras and a couple Nikon Digital cameras. When my wife got me an Android Moto Z, she got me a Hasselblad camera that mounts on the back of the phone. It is a decent substitute for a camera if you need to travel light. However, if weight is no problem, I still prefer a digital camera and post-process on the PC. I can do a heck of a lot more shooting in RAW.

I thought about getting that attachment for my Moto Z,
the basic camera on it is nothing short of mediocre for the avg picture, and horrible for some stuff like concerts etc,

when I traveled to the UK years ago, I took a Sony Point and Shoot,
it did well, but wished I had splurged on a good DSLR instead,

I will likely upgrade soon to either a Pixel 3 or the current Samsung, both are rated high and have good cameras,

and I bought a Nikon DSLR (D5100) yrs ago , and a few lenses, for when I know I am going somewhere I can take a larger camera (Still have the Sony, (actually 2) that I use for pictures for Ebay and Gunbroker)

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10427 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig2392:
Take a look at the Canon Powershot line.

They have cameras in various shapes and sizes and budgets.

If you can go to a camera store and handle a few.

For travel, I use either one of pocket ones like the G9 or my full-size DSLR.

It depends on what you want to carry around.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=can...ref=nb_sb_ss_sc_1_17

I have the Canon S95 for pocket carry and the larger Canon SX500.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
Another fan of the Nikon D3X00 series. I started with (IIRC) a 3200. I now have a 5300. Cameras are a money pit, but the pics serve as memory stimuli. Big Grin

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16189 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I too made my entry into DSLR's with a D3200, my current camera is a D5600, mainly upgraded for better ISO range, and the articulating screen.

Posts: 13682 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I spent 18 days in Scotland in 2015 and had a cell camera and a Fuji Coolpix. The pictures from the Coolpix were light years better than my Samsung Galaxy 5, which was about 3 months old at the time. Remember, a cell phone sensor is equivalent to JV where a DSLR is essentially professional. The size of the sensor directly impacts light gathering ability, so sunrise and sunset, as well as low light pictures can be useless from a cell phone.
If you want an all in one to stick in your pocket, the Coolpix A1000 is awesome, as is the x70. If you are comfortable with a DSLR, there are some entry level kits, but the zoom may not be to your liking.

Posts: 8711 | Registered: January 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
There is a lot of excellent tech in older cameras which still have the capability to take pictures that 95% of people will find more than acceptable.

I just found a pristine Olympus Stylus XZ-2 on CL for $100 with a bunch of accessories. This camera had a MSRP nearly 6 times that 6 years ago. Big enough to be usable in my manly Wink hands, but small and light enough - as opposed to a DSLR - to fit in with my carry-on only approach to travel. Lots of manual options and a superb fast Zuiko lens.

Doesn't hurt to look in this direction.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3450 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I've always been Crazy!
kept me from goin Insane!
posted Hide Post
Thank you all went with the Nikon D3500

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today, who no longer understand that fact.
Author unknown

Posts: 2181 | Location: Lyndon,KS | Registered: November 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beanhead
posted Hide Post
Now, go practice before your trip....

Posts: 1353 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post