SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    HoF Manager Tommy Lasorda Has Passed, 93
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

HoF Manager Tommy Lasorda Has Passed, 93 Login/Join 
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted
MLB.com

I have a great memory of Lasorda. Before he was manager of the Dodgers, he was 3rd base coach. I was watching a Saturday Baseball Game of the Week. IIRC, Joe Garagiola and Tony Kubek were calling the game and it was Dodgers/Cincinnati Red Legs.

NBC had mics on Lasorda and Cincinnati manager Tony Perez. The Dodgers are batting, Lasorda is in the coaching box at 3rd, and Pete Rose is playing 3rd base.

Lasorda calls out to Rose.

“Hey, Pete!”

Rose glances toward him.

“The Dodgers had a vote before the game to pick the best looking guy on the Cincinnati ball club; and you came in second!”

Rose acts more interested and is looking right at him.

“Yeah, the whole rest of the team tied for first.”

Rose gives a half smile and crouches down a little lower.

“What a day. What a game. The Dodgers and the Reds!” Lasorda finishes with.

Posts: 13304 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I remember watching a WS that the Dodgers were in, 1988 I believe. Their relief pitcher, Jesse Orozco, was struggling with control, so Tommy calls time-out, trots out to the mound and tells the pitcher "throw a fuckin' strike Jesse" and then returns to the dugout.

Shortest mound visit ever.

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Jeff Cooper

Posts: 8770 | Location: UT | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
When I was a student at Northrop back in the 80’s my student ID card got me 3rd base line seats about 6 or 8 rows up. $18.

I remember watching the Dodgers up close. Garvey and Cey. Steve Sax, Mike Scioscia and Yeager. They were a fun team to watch. Dusty Baker and Rick Monday.

RIP Tommy.

Posts: 53240 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
A true baseball guy, even if he was a Dodger. RIP.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As a Giants fan, I hated that guy with a white-hot passion however, I also recognized that guys like Lasorda were good for the game, the beat writers understood this and his persona was just another facet of a great game.

A character like him has all but faded into history as the overbearing need for antiseptic figures and nanny-type beat writers sterilize the game.

Posts: 14697 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
Garvey and Cey. Steve Sax, Mike Scioscia and Yeager.

They had the same four infielders for TEN consecutive years; Garvey, Lopes, Cey and Russell. I don't think we'll ever see that again. So little continuity anymore.

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Jeff Cooper

Posts: 8770 | Location: UT | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Used to be some hilarious audio on youtube of Tommy in postgame press meetings. RIP sir.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5692 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Orndorff:

They had the same four infielders for TEN consecutive years; Garvey, Lopes, Cey and Russell. I don't think we'll ever see that again. So little continuity anymore.

I forgot about Davey Lopes - wow - yeah.

I remember Garvey was all forearms. His wife, Cyndy was a tv personality on a local network station at the time

Posts: 53240 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He sure was a character. I remember a reporter asking him why he pitched to Jack Clark of the Cardinals after Jack hit a playoff game winning home run. Man he blew a gasket.

Kinda surprised he live that long he has looked 80 years old for about 30 years. I remember when he got in the middle of a big fight and got sent flying to the ground. I was thinking "is he going to get up".

HOF manager RIP.

Posts: 3933 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
I'm not a Dodgers fan, but was a fan of Lasorda. He usually looked like he was having a great time.

And who could forget the '88 World Series: Lasorda v. La Russa, Eckersly v. Gibson. Probably the best baseball I ever seen.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6426 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
You will be missed, Coach.

Love ya.
Greatest Dodger Fan

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6323 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
This pic is from 1977, shirtless bringing the cheddar.

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4787 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This. Remember when he would blow kisses to the fan booing at Candlestick ?

He was the OG Charles Barkley just saying whatever he wanted. There’s some good audio compilations on YouTube if some of his rants to reporters. He certainly had a way with words. The Kurt Bevacqua rant is probly his best. RIP

quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
As a Giants fan, I hated that guy with a white-hot passion however, I also recognized that guys like Lasorda were good for the game, the beat writers understood this and his persona was just another facet of a great game.

A character like him has all but faded into history as the overbearing need for antiseptic figures and nanny-type beat writers sterilize the game.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ElToro,

Posts: 4783 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Tommy was a gem. As a dodger fan way back when. I do recall some of his better moments. But remember the players and some of games more. Which is the sign of a good manager. He was great for the game. Without guys like him the game is lost now in many regards. RIP Mr. Linguine Smile

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19256 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
RTG Parts
posted Hide Post
Tommy was incredible with the 2000 US Olympic baseball team. Leading our amateur kids to Gold against Cuba and other nations using professional playes. That gold medal made me a very proud American in 2000. God rest his soul.

NRA LIFE MEMBER - NSSF MEMBER

www.RobertRTG.com for the best prices on HK, AK, MG42, Uzi parts and more.

Posts: 459 | Location: Sheridan, Wyoming | Registered: March 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ace31
posted Hide Post
A gentleman when the game was a game. May he RIP.

Posts: 2170 | Location: Wherever the voices in my head tell me to go | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sad day. RIP Tommy. Thanks for the memories.

With the passing of Vin Scully’s wife the other day, I’m afraid that he will be coming up to join you soon.

Posts: 766 | Location: Orange County, CA | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tommy dished it out and took it back. He was a character and made baseball fun. I ran into in the stands at AT&T Park during a Giants Dodgers series.

Posts: 4284 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
A truly sad loss to the game..Tommy added spice to baseball...he was fun

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29734 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post