SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Is toslnk optical cable and optical cable the same thing
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is toslnk optical cable and optical cable the same thing Login/Join 
I'm Pickle Rick!
Picture of Pickle Rick
posted
Many thanks, John

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Pickle Rick,

Posts: 2877 | Location: Lancaster, PA. | Registered: February 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
John,
The Bluetooth 5.0 on LG smart TVs is for connecting low energy devices to the TV and not connecting to the internet for streaming services. I assume that is what you were asking about.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16222 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Pickle Rick!
Picture of Pickle Rick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
John,
The Bluetooth 5.0 on LG smart TVs is for connecting low energy devices to the TV and not connecting to the internet for streaming services. I assume that is what you were asking about.

Not sure? Ultimately just trying to move tv's sound closer to bed and not running tv at high volumes ..... speakers have their own built in Amp 45 Watts. Thank you. John

Posts: 2877 | Location: Lancaster, PA. | Registered: February 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Pickle Rick!
Picture of Pickle Rick
posted Hide Post
Cheap bump.

posted Hide Post
TOSLINK is a standardized optical fiber structure originally developed by Toshiba Corporation. It utilizes a fiber optic cable for the transmission of audio signals in the form of pulses of light.

TOSLINK was originally created to connect compact disc (CD) players to receivers for pulse code modulation (PCM) audio streams using the S/PDIF standard digital audio interconnect. A single TOSLINK cable can be used to transmit stereo, mono and surround sound signals. It carries a digital audio stream from components like Digital Video Disc (DVD) players, the MiniDisc, Digital Audio Tape (DAT) recorders, Dolby Digital/DTS decoders, newer video game consoles and computers to an audio-video (AV) receiver. The AV receiver decodes the stream of output and audio through a set of electroacoustic transducers or loudspeakers.

TOSLINK supports a diversity of physical standards and media formats. The most common digital audio connection is the Electronic Industries Association of Japan/ Japan Electronics and Information Technology Industries Association (EIAJ/JEITA) RC-5720 connector, also known as JIS C5974-1993 F05 (JIS F05) and CP-1201. The EIAJ/JEITA has a peak wavelength of 650 nanometer (nm) with an optical red light.

Posts: 1995 | Location: DFW Texas | Registered: March 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Toslink and optical are the same thing. Sometimes where is also an option for coaxial digital cable with RCA connectors.

Posts: 4725 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Although Toslink can be said to be a type of optical cable, they are not the same thing.
Toslink vs Optical

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16355 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Pickle Rick!
Picture of Pickle Rick
posted Hide Post
With all the info you guys and gals provided? Can I connect my LG TV to a pair of powered speakers since TV and speakers have optic link ports. Speakers are 45 Watts. Many thanks to you all. Is coaxial Jack a better way to go? Thanks, John

always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pickle Rick:
With all the info you guys and gals provided? Can I connect my LG TV to a pair of powered speakers since TV and speakers to each other? Speakers are 45 Watts. Many thanks to you all. John

You should be able to just as you would a stereo soundbar. Only potential hiccup will be if the connectors aren't compatible and require adapters. From what you've previously said you'll no doubt need some length of cables to position the speakers near your listening position vice near the TV.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16222 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
Although Toslink can be said to be a type of optical cable, they are not the same thing.
Toslink vs Optical

This article was written by bot or an idiot. They are the same. The TOSLINK standard is the connector. Just like the RCA standard is the connector on analog cables or SPDIF COAX.

This line here is a giveaway that the author is clueless:

"The Optical digital cable is made either of plastic or glass. Plastic works well with S/PDIF but glass transmits better light for a better sound. The difference may not be clearly heard from your equipment."

Better light transmission on a DIGITAL cable means better sound. Think about that for a second.

Posts: 4725 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
quote:
With all the info you guys and gals provided? Can I connect my LG TV to a pair of powered speakers since TV and speakers to each other? Speakers are 45 Watts. Many thanks to you all. John

You should be able to just as you would a stereo soundbar. Only potential hiccup will be if the connectors aren't compatible and require adapters. From what you've previously said you'll no doubt need some length of cables to position the speakers near your listening position vice near the TV.

Check your TV's audio output jacks for type, and check your powered speakers for input type. See if there is at least one common connection type.

I'm Pickle Rick!
Picture of Pickle Rick
posted Hide Post
Speakers and TV have optical connections. Only connection in common.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Speakers and TV have optical connections. Only connection in common.

Give it a shot. Optical cable from Monoprice.com is a few bucks tops.

I'm Pickle Rick!
Picture of Pickle Rick
posted Hide Post
They are both 5.0 bluetooth does that help? At my ripe age audio doesn't come to me easily anymore. Back in the day I was installing car audio systems, fans to keep amps cool all kinds of auto electronics. 5 years or so ago. Now I can barely get the cd in my radio. Older age blows. Thanks, John.

eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
The optical connection, in this instance, will work. The technical maximum is 10 meters in length. Otherwise, don't overthink it.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Pickle Rick!
Picture of Pickle Rick
posted Hide Post
Thank you all, you have been very helpful. John.

Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
My TV connects to my Bose audio system with an optical cable. Buy one and give it a shot. Amazon has free returns if it doesn’t work.

One thing to be aware of as I didn’t know this… optical cables are fragile. I have damaged more than one. A hard bend in the cable and it was done.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Question for the group. I didn’t want to start a new thread because my question relates to optical cables.

Has anyone had an issue with their optical cable? I believe my optical cable has stopped working after a few trouble free years.

My Samsung smart TV used to automatically connect to my sound bar via an optical cable. When I turned on the TV the sound bar would turn on as well. It isn’t doing that anymore and will only work with Bluetooth and after I have used the sound bar’s remote to turn the sound bar on. I changed the settings to optical cable connection only and completely lost sound.

Does this problem sound like the culprit could be a bad optical cable?

Edit to add I just read the end of Beancooker’s post. Between my wildlings pulling down the sound bar and the bad kitty knocking it off the TV stand it seems I may have answered my own question.

Hopefully a new optical cable fixes this minor annoyance. I had no idea they were fragile but if anything is easy to break my kids or cat will break it. Big Grin

They probably get it from me. My keen ability to break systems or find flaws at Capital One landed me on a software testing team. That was a fun job as it really utilized my ability to break their programs and find glitches.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes they aren't exactly tough cables. The bigger risk is your cat clotheslining the cable and damaging the connector sockets in the devices.