SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Blacklions Lose Another Plane - Navy F/A-18 Crashes
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Blacklions Lose Another Plane - Navy F/A-18 Crashes Login/Join 
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted
VF-213 was not the squadron known for the best record.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018...t-official-says.html

quote:
Navy F/A-18 jet crashes off Key West, official says

A U.S. Navy F/A-18F Super Hornet jet crashed off the coast of Key West, Florida, on Wednesday, an official told Fox News.

One pilot and one weapons systems officer ejected from the twin-engine jet, and search and rescue efforts are under way.

A marina owner in the Florida Keys told WPLG that the Hornet jet caught fire mid-air, then crashed roughly one mile from the runway of Naval Air Station Key West.

Officials said the crew is based out of Naval Air Station Oceana in Virginia Beach, Virginia.

President Trump during a roundtable at Boeing on Wednesday called the F/A-18 a work of "art," and said that he's working with Congress to fund 24 new jets.

The jet was from the VFA-213 Blacklions squadron. Last year, the same squadron deployed aboard USS George H.W. Bush to conduct ISIS strikes in Iraq and Syria.

Earlier this month, an F/A-18 from the squadron performed a rare nighttime flyover in Annapolis, Maryland, ahead of a Capitals versus Maple Leafs outdoor NHL hockey game played at Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium.

In November, the head of Naval Aviation told Congress that only half the Navy’s 542 F-18 Super Hornet jets can fly right now and only 31 percent are fully mission capable and ready to “fight tonight.”

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Speed, High Drag
Picture of navyshooter
posted Hide Post
I didnt see any update about the aircrew.

I hope station SAR was on their game but its not looking good

"Blessed is he who when facing his own demise, thinks only of his front sight.”

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem

Montani Semper Liberi

Posts: 10355 | Location: Santa Rosa County | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
Fox News reporting both the Pilot and WSO died.

This really sucks. Prayers for the families involved and their squadron mates.

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2541 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
31% OR rate?

Fuck me. We used to have 89% OR with the F-4. (and were embarrassed it was not better...)

Killing aircrew for no good reason!

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43886 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
damn...a mile from the runway

whatever it was it must have been pretty bad and pretty fast

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53186 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
VF-213 was not the squadron known for the best record.
Yeah, like 20 years ago.

Completely different group these days.

A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Yes. It happens too fast. (and too often)

And both maintaining, and flying, you learn and know more than you might want.
The older you get, the clearer some things are, and the fuzzier other things.

F-4E 69-7589 30 Sep 1987.

Early evening, return to base from out and back, shooting touch and goes. After the third approach, and go around, aircraft departed south of Eglin 19 to approx 3 miles and began 4 minute turn to re-enter pattern for intended approach and full stop.

Aircraft descended while in right bank and impacted water.

Post recovery and investigation revealed following (not exhaustive nor complete)...

Aircraft was near wings level with full aft stick input from front cockpit.

Egress was initiated but out of envelope and too late to clear aircraft prior to impact.

Both canopies had jettisoned, (rear cockpit initiated ejection, command ejection selector was set for dual ejection sequence).

WSO was clear of aircraft, but impacted water prior to man/seat separation.

Pilot did had not cleared the aircraft prior to impact.

That was my last of more than 30 aircraft I was involved in that were lost, and multiple recovery efforts.

And one of the incidents that stayed with me.

We worked several days working with divers, dredging equipment to recover wreckage from the gulf, just south of Destin and staging the recovered components to a hanger to piece together for the investigation.

It is believed that during the last go around, the aircrew were distracted with "tidying up" the cockpit, stowing publications and maps, and setting up for the full stop recovery, and that hand off between the front and rear may not have been verified as to who "had the stick". (as often was the case, F-4 crew would take turns with touch and go and command, to keep proficiency).

The findings indicated everything was in normal operation. Engines were in normal power setting for the turn to base, as were flap/slat settings, gear still in the up and locked position.

Aircraft simply was in a right bank turn and descended (according to area of impact and determined flight track) until just before impact where wings were leveled and stick input to full aft deflection as evidenced by the horizontal stabilizer at impact.

And sometimes, in the middle of the night you wake up and wonder...

I miss friends and those I've served with.

Toss a nickel in the grass...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43886 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Speed, High Drag
Picture of navyshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tailhook 84:
Fox News reporting both the Pilot and WSO died.

This really sucks. Prayers for the families involved and their squadron mates.

Frown

Yes prayers for all

RIP

"Blessed is he who when facing his own demise, thinks only of his front sight.”

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem

Montani Semper Liberi

Posts: 10355 | Location: Santa Rosa County | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
Lord watch over their souls.

I grew up fishing down there, got to know some of the folks a bit over time. Loved the talk early in the morning at Kims Kuban when the Sundowner guys would be in early and I was getting breakfast and lunch sandwiches for the day. Loved watching them scream overhead every day. This is sad and confusing...thoughts are with their families.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We are pushing these airplanes too hard without proper maintenance/replacement and asking crews to fly them with insufficient recurrent flight training hours.

Posts: 8958 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
RIP LCDR James Johnson and LT Caleb King.

Navy identifies aviators killed in Super Hornet crash

semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Fair winds and following seas

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11286 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post