SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    74-year-old substitute teacher has ND in Alabama 1st-grade classroom
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

74-year-old substitute teacher has ND in Alabama 1st-grade classroom Login/Join 
posted
https://www.al.com/news/birmin...grade-classroom.html

Why did a 74-year-old substitute teacher’s gun discharge in an Alabama 1st-grade classroom?

Updated Mar 28, 3:26 PM; Posted Mar 28, 1:39 PM

The gun that discharged inside the pocket of a substitute teacher in an Alabama first-grade classroom did so after it came in contact with a knife in his same pocket.

“I’m so sorry it happened, and I hope those kids have no memory of it after time passes,’’ the 74-year-old teacher, Henry Rex Weaver, told AL.com on Thursday.

The incident happened midday Friday, March 22, at Blountsville Elementary School. Authorities at the time said only that the gun discharged in Weaver’s pocket and that a fragment injured one student.

Through court records made public Thursday and the interview with Weaver, a clearer picture emerged.

According to an affidavit in the misdemeanor criminal cases against Weaver – reckless endangerment, third-degree aggravated assault and possession of a firearm on school grounds – this is what happened inside the elementary school classroom: Weaver had a Taurus .380 pistol and a knife in his front right pocket. He bent over to pick up an item off the floor and when he straightened back up, the knife, a clip-on, entered the trigger guard of the pistol and caused it to discharge into the floor.

A fragment struck a 7-year-old girl in the leg. There was a welt on the girl’s leg, records state, but the fragment did not penetrate the skin.

Weaver was taken into custody at the scene, interviewed and then booked into the Blount County Jail. He was released the same day on $3,000 bond and has a court date set for May.

Weaver said he had put his pistol up for several days because his permit had expired. He renewed his permit on Thursday and left for school Friday morning with the intention of storing the gun under the armrest of his locked vehicle.

He took a quick phone call as he was about to go into the school – he had to be there at 7:20 a.m. – and was running slightly behind schedule when he got out of the car. “I completely forgot about the pistol being in my pocket,’’ Weaver said.

Weaver is obviously upset over the incident and said he knows he will never again be back inside a classroom. “Oh, I could never substitute again,’’ Weaver said. “The parents are upset, and I understand that.”

He said he plans to stand before his fellow church members Sunday and explain what happened. “Time is a healer,’’ he said, “and hopefully that will happen here.”

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It’s dumbasses like this that ruin it for everyone. This is exactly the kind of dumb shit that the antis and busy body soccer moms use to keep teachers from being armed..

Posts: 3371 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Hard to believe someone would actually pocket carry a pistol with something else in that pocket and obviously no safety.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3963 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m so sorry it happened, and I hope those kids have no memory of it after time passes,’’ the 74-year-old teacher, Henry Rex Weaver, told AL.com on Thursday.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This is the sort of thing kids remember for the rest of their lives. Who is he kidding? It may not be unplesant for the kids not struck by the bullet, but as lawyers like to say, "There is no eraser for the human mind."

Posts: 17226 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Weird, random fact. My great aunt (grandfather's sister) taught at that school from the 1930's-1970's. She was the only first grade teacher for many decades, probably taught just about every person in that town for many years. The school had a total of 6 rooms when she taught there in the 30's.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
Thats why I carry my gun and cell phone in one pocket and my flashlight, knive, and money clip in the other pocket.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3849 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
This is exactly the situation that everyone who opposes arming teachers has been dreaming about.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37950 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SpinZone:
Thats why I carry my gun and cell phone in one pocket and my flashlight, knive, and money clip in the other pocket.

I use a pocket holster as well. I do not ever want to be on the news for something like this.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
A similar situation happened at waterstone pizza in downtown lynchburg. They have a big sign on the door, "no firearms, No CC etc." I went in told the manager, I love pizza, I love his pizza, but I will not be back till they change.

A few weeks later a moron with a .380 naked in his pocket has a ND getting his keys out. A friend told me he was a government contract employee and lost his clearance and then job over the event.

How hard is it to clip a crossbreed in side your belt?

Really thankful a kiddo was not hurt or worse because of this idiot.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3588 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
... as lawyers like to say, "There is no eraser for the human mind."

Au contraire

Posts: 8615 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Glock Fotay?

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
I sincerely hope he's permanently blacklisted from education. Like, not even allowed on school grounds blacklisted.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5540 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
An imbecile such as that has no business being in a position of responsibility.

Posts: 26895 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG's 'n Surefires
Picture of M-11
posted Hide Post
Something like this at an absolute minimum.
https://blackrhinoconcealment....rigger-guard-holster

"Common sense is wisdom with its sleeves rolled up." -Kyle Farnsworth
"Freedom of Speech does not guarantee freedom from consequences." -Mike Rowe
"Democracies aren't overthrown, they're given away." -George Lucas

Posts: 6880 | Location: IL, due south of the Arch | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
one hic up in 74 years, that's a pretty good run,

let's check his rap sheet
this might be forgivable

heck , most of us will be 74 , some day

I was 16 when I had my n.d.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54611 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post

C'mon man! A DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster is like 15 bucks on Amazon and you should NEVER put anything in or near that pocket except the holster and gun.

Posts: 33777 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately there are a good number of people with concealed weapons licenses running around armed who haven't the faintest idea of what they are doing and have zero training. Not so much of a problem when they just do damage to themselves, but this guy put children at risk in a big way.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not so much of a problem when they just do damage to themselves,

They damage us all sadly even without injury.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7675 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
Being 74 does not excuse this. The firearm was placed in a pocket without a holster capable of covering the trigger, inexcusable. I am surprised he hasn't had a ND in the past.

I have had too many conversations this week convincing people to take basic safety precautions with firearms. Holsters and/or trigger protection is table stakes when carrying.

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 717 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post