SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone in Texas get property taxes significantly lowered?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone in Texas get property taxes significantly lowered? Login/Join 
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted
I'm looking at a buying property that was foreclosed in 2016. It looks like the appraisal district increased the value from about 40000 to 110000 in one year in 2016. It's a sealed bid type sale but minimum is 14000 and I'm sure it will sell for 25000 or less. Other properties right next to it are valued around 30-40000 and it's obvious the tax valuation is too high compared to everything else around it.I'm just wondering if I win it the chances of getting the appraisal district to lower the appraised value for tax purposes. I figured with the vast knowledge on the forum someone in Texas may have done this or have knowledge of it.

Posts: 4232 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
We did the first year after we bought our house, dropped it $40k by showing them the appraisal we had and the price we bought it for......

I am in Collin Co.

This year we are hoping to knock it down again....we will see

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A few years ago I set on the appraisal review board for my county. We had a hospital that had been built a few years prior for $2.5 million but had closed. The building went to auction and sold for $800,000. The woman that bought came to us and said that the fair market value was now $800,000 and asked that we lower the value to that. At that time "fair market value" meant a willing seller and a willing buyer we had no choice but to agree and lower the value so we did.

Sounds to me like you could have a case.

_________

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right.

Henry Ford

Posts: 733 | Location: Texas | Registered: October 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post