SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tell me about Leishmanaisis
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tell me about Leishmanaisis Login/Join 
Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
I read about leishmaniasis in Lost City of the Monkey God, about the discovery of a ?Mayan temple in Honduras. Several of the explorers came down with it, and in the last few chapters, discuss the treatment and a CDC doctor who specializes in the disease. Might be worth your time to look it over and reach out to the CDC.

Posts: 2155 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:

Ivermectin is frequently given to dogs... It's the active ingredient in most monthly heartworm preventative medication for dogs. It's used in higher doses to treat dogs with active heartworm infections, as well as to treat other parasite infections in dogs, like ear mites and mange.

I'm not saying that you should let your dog gorge themself on your Ivermectin pills, but mere incidental exposure to it (like licking you or interacting with you after having taken it) shouldn't be a concern.

Interesting, Rogue. We were warned by our horse vet about this and took it as gospel. Horses use a paste that is given by mouth, by weight, and we were warned to keep the dog away from the empty (or partially empty, if its a lighter horse) tubes.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12782 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
I would get a firm diagnosis.
Cursory review of the literature has cutaneous leishmaniosis as the "great imitator".

Cutaneous leishmaniasis (CL) is called “the great imitator,” because it can mimic almost all types of dermatoses. This similarity may sometimes lead to misdiagnosis, resulting in inappropriate treatment and morbidities. Atypical forms occur due to the interaction between parasitic factors and the host immune response. Secondary infection or mistreatment of CL can also alter the natural course, resulting in bizarre and misdiagnosed cases. Atypical leishmaniasis should be considered in longstanding and painless lesions that may simulate erysipelas, dermatitis, verruca, herpes zoster, paronychia, and sporotrichosis. Less commonly, sarcoidosis, deep mycosis, basal and squamous cell carcinoma, cutaneous lymphoma, or pseudolymphomalike lesions may need to be considered in the differential diagnosis. A high index of suspicion is required to consider a diagnosis of CL, especially in nonendemic or newly endemic regions. Smear, histopathologic examination, culture, and polymerase chain reaction serve as important tools to differentiate CL from its clinical and histologic look-alikes. CL is discussed from various perspectives, with emphasis on CL and its broad differential diagnosis.

Posts: 2304 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGfourme:
I would get a firm diagnosis.
Cursory review of the literature has cutaneous leishmaniosis as the "great imitator".

Cutaneous leishmaniasis (CL) is called “the great imitator,” because it can mimic almost all types of dermatoses. This similarity may sometimes lead to misdiagnosis, resulting in inappropriate treatment and morbidities. Atypical forms occur due to the interaction between parasitic factors and the host immune response. Secondary infection or mistreatment of CL can also alter the natural course, resulting in bizarre and misdiagnosed cases. Atypical leishmaniasis should be considered in longstanding and painless lesions that may simulate erysipelas, dermatitis, verruca, herpes zoster, paronychia, and sporotrichosis. Less commonly, sarcoidosis, deep mycosis, basal and squamous cell carcinoma, cutaneous lymphoma, or pseudolymphomalike lesions may need to be considered in the differential diagnosis. A high index of suspicion is required to consider a diagnosis of CL, especially in nonendemic or newly endemic regions. Smear, histopathologic examination, culture, and polymerase chain reaction serve as important tools to differentiate CL from its clinical and histologic look-alikes. CL is discussed from various perspectives, with emphasis on CL and its broad differential diagnosis.

I have had many misdiagnosis so far, so at this point I am willing to try anything.

If this were Staph, MRSA, or Ring Worm my family would all be showing symptoms.

I am trying to get a medical professional to take skin and maybe blood samples of this, but at the same time I am very tired of the symptoms.

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dermatologist with specialty in tropical diseases is what you want.

Posts: 17249 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Dermatologist with specialty in tropical diseases is what you want.

Unfortunately we don't have one here.

I called the VA care who is assigned to me and just got the run around as normal.

I will be calling the dermatologist who prescribed the Ivermectin to have her schedule skin and blood samples for this parasite. If she gives the order I can get it done before going to wound care Tuesday.

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^
Sounds like a plan. If not call the CDC for help in getting a referral.

Posts: 17249 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got leishmaniasis in Iraq in 2003 when I was there enjoying the sights with the 101st. I got a shaving profile and got to grow a beard which pushed out the scabs from the sores that were on my face. No scars and no lasting damage. I don't recall taking any antibiotics, but maybe I did. My platoon medic diagnosed me.

Posts: 2017 | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PossibleZombie:
I got leishmaniasis in Iraq in 2003 when I was there enjoying the sights with the 101st. I got a shaving profile and got to grow a beard which pushed out the scabs from the sores that were on my face. No scars and no lasting damage. I don't recall taking any antibiotics, but maybe I did. My platoon medic diagnosed me.

They probably gave you an antiparasite cream.

Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
So blood test for the antibodies came back negative.

However, two doses two weeks apart of 33mg Ivermectin each has helped as many of the smaller sores have healed, and the larger sores are smaller with the exception of two.

posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Sometimes lab tests come back negative. What matters is the treatment appears to be working. Take pictures of the lesions. Perhaps at some point you can travel to see a dermatologist with a speciality in tropical diseases. Best of luck to you.

Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
quote:

Ivermectin is frequently given to dogs... It's the active ingredient in most monthly heartworm preventative medication for dogs. It's used in higher doses to treat dogs with active heartworm infections, as well as to treat other parasite infections in dogs, like ear mites and mange.

I'm not saying that you should let your dog gorge themself on your Ivermectin pills, but mere incidental exposure to it (like licking you or interacting with you after having taken it) shouldn't be a concern.

Interesting, Rogue. We were warned by our horse vet about this and took it as gospel. Horses use a paste that is given by mouth, by weight, and we were warned to keep the dog away from the empty (or partially empty, if its a lighter horse) tubes.

“Dose makes the poison”.

Your horses would have a stronger concentration of the medicine, and while Rogue is absolutely correct, there are certain breeds of dogs that it’s contraindicated in; herding dogs, iirc. Some are very sensitive. I have 1 dog I’ve quit giving heart worm meds to based on her reactions the last several times she’s had it. Took me a bit to connect the dots, but it was definitely the heartguard that whacked her out.

OP, I hope you give us an update on whether this works for you. How miserable to have to deal with on a daily basis for so long.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5328 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by irreverent:
quote:
quote:

“Dose makes the poison”.

Your horses would have a stronger concentration of the medicine, and while Rogue is absolutely correct, there are certain breeds of dogs that it’s contraindicated in; herding dogs, iirc. Some are very sensitive. I have 1 dog I’ve quit giving heart worm meds to based on her reactions the last several times she’s had it. Took me a bit to connect the dots, but it was definitely the heartguard that whacked her out.

OP, I hope you give us an update on whether this works for you. How miserable to have to deal with on a daily basis for so long.

Almost three weeks ago Saturday I took the 33mg of Ivermectin and within three hours the pain level decreased, and sores started healing. Last Saturday I took another 33mg.

In the two weeks between doses many of the smaller sores on the outside of my left thigh have healed, one of the sores on my right front thigh and one on my left front thigh have healed.

Pain level is still way down. The low level dizziness hasn't happened since a couple days after the first dose, and my glucose levels have dropped a bit (body in distress will cause higher glucose levels).

I see my Nurse Practitioner (family doc) Monday.

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Just FYI, Ivermectin is also the stuff you treat Hemlocks with for the Wooly Adelgid. You mix up a liquid and inject it into the ground around the roots.
Seems to be a drug with a wide variety of uses.

Posts: 9524 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lizardman_u:
quote:
Originally posted by irreverent:
quote:
quote:

“Dose makes the poison”.

Almost three weeks ago Saturday I took the 33mg of Ivermectin and within three hours the pain level decreased, and sores started healing. Last Saturday I took another 33mg.

In the two weeks between doses many of the smaller sores on the outside of my left thigh have healed, one of the sores on my right front thigh and one on my left front thigh have healed.

Pain level is still way down. The low level dizziness hasn't happened since a couple days after the first dose, and my glucose levels have dropped a bit (body in distress will cause higher glucose levels).

I see my Nurse Practitioner (family doc) Monday.

Wow. That’s great news! Hopefully she’ll have more on Monday.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5328 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post