SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Impact Wrench and Cordless Electric Ratchet Recommendation
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Impact Wrench and Cordless Electric Ratchet Recommendation Login/Join 
Picture of ACTEG
posted Hide Post
Milwaukee m18 fuel ...

It is a beast. My boat trailer lug nuts were a rusted siezed mess. My buddy tried his craftsman impact first... And got nowhere. The milwaukee spun them off easily.

I just replaced all of the leaf springs on my boat trailer (saltwater). All but two bolts were removed with the milwaukee (extremely rusted and seized bolts). The other two I put a torch on and then the milwaukee pulled them off no problem.

I am extremely impressed with this tool.

Posts: 3585 | Registered: March 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
quote:
I got this on a ridiculous sale for about $108 total

It might be a good price, but that's not even in the hunt for real torque jobs. The spec I see is 300 ft/lb. The Makita I have is 780. That's a big difference. I didn't look but I would guess that you can even get bigger with Dewalt.

Ok, but are we just talking wheel lugs or something more exotic? I had to buy a 6' steel pipe to break a 36mm wheel hub nut loose before. But that was for removing and repacking CV joints, which is not something you have to do too often unless you wrench on cars for a living. If I needed serious, pro-level torque on a regular basis, I'd get a 220v outlet installed and then a huge compressor. DIY'ing a one time small job, I'll stick with the common cordless stuff.

Posts: 3548 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Speaks Bendablese
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BlackTalonJHP:
Not sure how much torque you need but the Milwaukee M12 stubby impact and M12 3/8 ratchet are about $160 each for the bare tools.

...and the stubby impact is a fantastic tool for tight spaces. Loads of power for its size. Add a master set of 3/8 drive impact sockets and you can tackle most light duty automotive work.

Posts: 286 | Location: MD | Registered: September 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'd get a 220v outlet installed and then a huge compressor.

The OP says he wants to take it on the road, so that's not going to work very well. I have no idea the extent of the OP suspension work but a steering damper is probably not a big issue in terms of torque, likely like 10mm fasteners. Wheel lug nuts on an RV was the other project and those might on the other hand be up to 300ftlb depending on the wheel type. In any case the OP has to decide on how much he needs based on info we don't have. I do know that its unlikely a 300ftlb gun will do very much.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11011 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
Check out the Youtube channel called Project Farm. Guy does allot of testing of tools and such. Interesting stuff and results.

Posts: 5308 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save today, so you can
buy tomorrow
posted Hide Post
I just got back from a local Home Depot. They are sold out locally of this Dewalt model. I can still order it online at the current Sale Price of $199. The description said “up to 700 ft. lbs of torque”. Good enough for wheel torque on a dually RV?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DE...g-DCF899M1/206387892

Posts: 1889 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ador:
I just got back from a local Home Depot. They are sold out locally of this Dewalt model. I can still order it online at the current Sale Price of $199. The description said “up to 700 ft. lbs of torque”. Good enough for wheel torque on a dually RV?

It should work good with a 700 ft. lbs rating. My Kobalt 24-volt 1/2-in impact wrench rated at 650 ft. lbs will remove the lug nuts off a 18 wheeler semi truck. Obviously you will need proper torque wrench to tighten lug nuts back up since this set up will exceed proper wheel torque of your RV.

Posts: 2681 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I have the m18. Happy with it I've only used it for a few trivial tasks. It was a great price on sale. But if i read another thread correctly, Milwaukee is now prc owned? If so, I’m dismayed and would buy a comparable or better dewalt made in usa. Or makita if made in USA or Japan. My usages aren’t demanding so I’d pay extra to avoid made in prc / prc owned company.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12747 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
quote:
makita if made in USA or Japan
I have not seen a makita tool made in USA or Japan in more than 15 years.

Posts: 2681 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Impact driver DeWalt 20 volt

Impact wrench Milwaukee 12 volt

I'm set with 20 volt DeWalt and 12 volt Milwaukee.
Like the 20 volt DeWalt better than the 18 volt Milwaukee.
However, 12 volt Milwaukee brings in more speciality tools... small bandsaw, up to 2" PVC shear, compact vac, right angle grinder, small impact for tightening small screws, etc.

Posts: 10056 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
Impact driver DeWalt 20 volt

Impact wrench Milwaukee 12 volt

I'm set with 20 volt DeWalt and 12 volt Milwaukee.
Like the 20 volt DeWalt better than the 18 volt Milwaukee.
However, 12 volt Milwaukee brings in more speciality tools... small bandsaw, up to 2" PVC shear, compact vac, right angle grinder, small impact for tightening small screws, etc.

20 volts isn't necessarily better than 18 volts. It's all in the motor and gearing. Dewalt hopes you think 2 volts is going to matter so you'll buy their tools instead of Milwaukee's.

Posts: 8274 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
For all things tool related you can’t go wrong watching Project Farm on YouTube.
His methodology is not state of the art but he is completely unbiased.

https://youtu.be/dsZSg_aiNUE

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6331 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
quote:

I have a brushless 1/2" Dewalt 20V - it breaks the lug nuts loose from my 1 ton Dodge. It's been a very useful tool.

Posts: 1806 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save today, so you can
buy tomorrow
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the suggestions folks. Just ordered the following from Home Depot.

Impact Wrench:

Cordless Ratchet:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Mi...ag-2558-22/302616706

Posts: 1889 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks for the suggestions folks. Just ordered the following from Home Depot.

Impact Wrench:

Cordless Ratchet:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Mi...ag-2558-22/302616706

Now you're going to have two different battey systems instead of one.

Posts: 8274 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by houndawg:

Guess he didn't bother reading through the thread. Confused

Posts: 13140 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I agree on the battery system mistake.
Pick a Brand.

Posts: 4635 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
Hard not to have two different battery systems when it comes to ratchets and wrenches. Most ratchets are 12v, and most wrenches are 18+v.

As long as his future 12v tools are Milwaukee and his future 18v tools are DeWalt, he'll be good to go. He made good choices.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Milwaukee. You’d be amazed at what the 3/8 stubby M12 impact and M12 Fuel long reach 3/8 ratchet will do. Professional level tools without a doubt.

IDPA ESP SS

Posts: 974 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: January 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save today, so you can
buy tomorrow
posted Hide Post
I did read through the suggestions. However, I prefer to have at least an 18V-20V Impact Wrench. I looked into the Milwaukee Combination (Impact Wrench and Cordless Ratchet) from Home Depot on this link. The impact wrench is only 12V. That might not work with the RV wheel bolts/stud. Or is that 12V Impact Wrench enough to turn the lug nuts on a Ford F53 frame dually RV?

This Milwaukee Combination from Home Depot would have been PERFECT if the Impact Wrench was at least 18V.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Mi...48-11-2412/314319553

quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
quote:
Originally posted by houndawg:

Guess he didn't bother reading through the thread. Confused